Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
After dialing in the N900 I wanted to see how hard it was to code a web page that renders well in its browser... Not hard at all.

Attached is web page I call the "Big Apple". I store it in my documents folder and once I ran it in the browser, I just added a desktop shortcut to one of my 4 desktop views.

Being able to add these user defined HTML widgets/gizmo's/whatchamacallits as shortcuts to the N900's desktop is the feature I was looking for in a new device.

The page is a simple JAVA script interface that allows you to view one of the 55 or so cameras maintained by the New York City Department of Transportation in near real time. (I say "near" because you are only as good as your equipment. I have no control over the maintenance of the cams or the server.)

The page opens with a view from the cam @ 46th St. & Broadway looking back at Times Square.

From there you can drop down to the "Switch Still" dialog that opens up a plug-in that allows you to select one of the other cam locations.

(That plug-in sure is sweet and new to the N900's browser BTW.)

In this case the cam @ 7th Ave & 125 St. was chosen and the browser then shows that image.

The image is in the small size served by NYC.gov but a simply double tap renders it @ almost full screen.

That's it. Use the browser back button if you wish to select another cam. Have fun. I know I did being able to put this together so quickly.

(Unzip the attached HTML file and rock on or view it >> here << on your N900 browser)
Attached Files
File Type: zip Big Apple.zip (1.9 KB, 98 views)

SLN member # 009

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to YoDude For This Useful Post:
Posts: 237 | Thanked: 157 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ San Diego, CA
When I got our loaner a couple of weeks ago I was already in the process of improving our (music focused) website to allow persistent playback when browsing. As far as websites go, it's relatively heavy, complex, and much more application than site.

http://tunetrack.net/

I only ran into one issue with microB that required any sort of workaround separate from all other browsers.

The browser seems to resize scrollArea of the document to match the widest element in the page, even if this page is contained in an element with overflow:auto or similar.

You can see this behavior on TuneTrack when browsing album art for an album: http://tunetrack.net/snowflake/relea...of-winter/art/ (autoplays)

I think a similar issue is affecting http://reddit.com (from the topbar maybe) causing some pages to become quite wide requiring excessive scrolling.

I was only able to effect a partial workaround to this behavior on tunetrack, if Maemo is in the userstring (ugly I know) additional javascript sets an explicit width on my page containing elements so that at least the UI stays at the proper width, even though the page/scrollArea becomes excessively wide.

Anyone found any sort of solution for this issue? Ill try to make a smaller test case/example in a bit.

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by go1dfish View Post

...Anyone found any sort of solution for this issue? Ill try to make a smaller test case/example in a bit.
When you do sort it out, feel free to start your own thread pointing to your music focused web site.

The intention of this thread was to show how task specific web pages can be built and accessed easily in Maemo5 on the N900.
Exactly the opposite of using commercial web sites to serve up common media or other information.

SLN member # 009