Posts: 500 | Thanked: 437 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Oklahoma
Today at the Nokia betalabs a new application launching interface was released in their experimental section. "Nokia Bubbles" is exactly what it sounds like. You have an application launcher that is based on manipulating bubbles containing icons. I've loaded it into my N8 and it is every bit as interesting as any Android application launcher I've seen to date.

According to the application blurb supplied by Nokia "Bubbles is a fun and efficient way to take a shortcut to timely or useful things on your phone. Bubbles appears when you press the "Apps" key while your device is in sleep mode (instead of the black screen with clock and unlock button). Simply grab a bubble and drag it to one of the available drop points to initiate the corresponding action."

I've been using it today and find that even in this experimental and unconfigurable state it is a cool way to get the phone to do what you want. If this is Qt based, and I can not find anything that says it is or isn't, I imagine this might make an interesting overlay for a home screen in Maemo5. The one reference I did see to Qt was "Unfortunately we cannot change the bubble to use "Mobile" field by using the Qt Mobility API." in reference to selecting a contact.

Last edited by tzsm98; 2011-02-05 at 01:38. Reason: remove "?" from title after clarification.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to tzsm98 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 433 | Thanked: 312 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ U.K
WoW i remember seeing this ages ago. but now they have released it.
it looks pretty cool, wonder if it will catch on...

Yep, it's a pretty nice unlock screen. Nice to see some innovation coming out of Nokia Labs.

Originally Posted by tzsm98 View Post
If this is Qt based, and I can not find anything that says it is or isn't, I imagine this might make an interesting overlay for a home screen in Maemo5. The one reference I did see to Qt was "Unfortunately we cannot change the bubble to use "Mobile" field by using the Qt Mobility API." in reference to selecting a contact.
Is the code available on the Nokia labs site? I haven't looked but hopefully it is. Ofcourse, whether it is Qt based or not matters nothing to the Maemo5 and the N900 once it's been compiled for Symbian. To be able to run this on Maemo5 we'd need the original source first of all, then change and port anything Symbian specific over to Maemo, then recompile and package the project for the N900.

Cybot950 - Control a robot with your N9/N950
SMSPetFeeder - Build a Bluetooth/SMS dog feeder with Qt, N950, and arduino
Nerf950 - Use your N9/N950 to fire a Nerf gun

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 1,916 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Edmonton, AB
yes its qt, no there's no source available
http://mynokiablog.com/2010/11/25/vi...nd-nokia-n900/

The Following User Says Thank You to Creamy Goodness For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Creamy Goodness View Post
yes its qt, no there's no source available
http://mynokiablog.com/2010/11/25/vi...nd-nokia-n900/
What you've linked to isn't the same thing as discussed in the OP. What you've linked to is the old MeeGo UI tech demo from Digia. What the OP is talking about is a new unlock screen for Symbian that came out of Nokia Labs.

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 1,916 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Edmonton, AB
yes, thanks for... explaining the obvious.
i linked to that because i'm accusing nokia of stealing that idea and releasing it for another platform. it's totally something they would do.

Awwww, man... Now i want an N8 even more

How does this perform on the N8 BTW, any problems?

Posts: 500 | Thanked: 437 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Oklahoma
Originally Posted by kojacker View Post
What you've linked to isn't the same thing as discussed in the OP. What you've linked to is the old MeeGo UI tech demo from Digia. What the OP is talking about is a new unlock screen for Symbian that came out of Nokia Labs.
The link is interesting reading, even if to a different instance of a Bubble paradigm for launching applications. I didn't see any code for this at betalabs. I've asked for the code to be set loose or to have betalabs port it to Maemo5 themselves.

To clarify, I never expected the Symbian file to work with Maemo5. I was expressing that the concept, having been worked out in Qt, would be interesting if it were to be ported to Maemo5.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tzsm98 For This Useful Post:
The actual concept is not very difficult to write even from scratch, but i wonder if the lock screen can be altered to such an extent on the N900. I believe it's closed source on maemo5 - you can change an image or the text linked in the lock screen, but not the lock screen widget/app itself. I'd like to be wrong though if someone knows better...

Posts: 2,473 | Thanked: 12,265 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Jerusalem, PS/IL
Originally Posted by kojacker View Post
The actual concept is not very difficult to write even from scratch, but i wonder if the lock screen can be altered to such an extent on the N900. I believe it's closed source on maemo5 - you can change an image or the text linked in the lock screen, but not the lock screen widget/app itself. I'd like to be wrong though if someone knows better...
/etc/mce/mce.ini:
Code:
# Double press [power] behaviour
#
# Valid options:
# disabled - do nothing on double press
# menu - show the device menu
# poweroff - shutdown device
# softpoweroff - enter soft poweroff mode
# tklock - enable the touchscreen/keypad lock <default>
PowerKeyDoubleAction=tklock
Setting that to disabled and making an app which listens and waits for two power button presses makes a lock screen concept possible.

Code:
signal sender=:1.10 -> dest=(null destination) serial=945 path=/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/computer_logicaldev_input; interface=org.freedesktop.Hal.Device; member=Condition
   string "ButtonPressed"
   string "power"
Edit: hmm, that option seems to deal with locks only (unlocking works even when disabled), will look into it further.

Edit 2: the lock screen is handled by systemui, as a plugin, /usr/lib/systemui/libsystemuiplugin_tklock.so, moving it breaks screen locking.

Last edited by MohammadAG; 2011-02-05 at 03:35.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to MohammadAG For This Useful Post:

Tags
n8-00, qt xxx, symbian, uixxx