It would bring thousands of apps to the N900 and motivate Maemo devs to make apps compatible with the N900/Android phones.

Nokia doesn't support Java and Android supports some kind of perverted version of Java, so unlikely same applications could work in both Android and Meego/Maemo devices.

Originally Posted by zimon View Post
Nokia doesn't support Java and Android supports some kind of perverted version of Java, so unlikely same applications could work in both Android and Meego/Maemo devices.
There is no way to run that version of java on the N900?

Originally Posted by h3llraz0r View Post
Most Android apps run over a customized Java virtual machine called Dalvik. Why on Earth someone decided that an already resource-limited device would need a VM to run apps is beyond me, but that means that Dalvik would need to be ported to MeeGo.

MeeGo apps could run on Android through Qt?

Vínculos interesantes si nos visitas por primera vez (en inglés): New members say hello , New users start here, Community subforum, Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 101, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Si te puedo ayudar con cualquier otra cosa, sólo dilo!

Originally Posted by mrojas View Post
Why on Earth someone decided that an already resource-limited device would need a VM to run apps is beyond me,
It is a modern (compiler science) way to have interpreted code in applications instead of fully compiled one.
Theoretically (and I believe in practise also in the future) interpreted code can be faster, more power efficient and less buggy than fully compiled one. There needs to be only one VM in RSS memory and all applications can use its codebase.
Device drivers and kernel is a different thing, but for applications it makes sense.

It's unlikely that you would see Dalvik in Maemo (though I don't know why besides business interests.. for example is it owned by Google?). Though I remember reading something about people trying to bring QT to Android.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by h3llraz0r View Post
Theoretically: Canonical developers aim to make Android apps run on Ubuntu

This has been previously discussed in the thread, "Android on Maemo and/or Mer".

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by zimon View Post
It is a modern (compiler science) way to have interpreted code in applications instead of fully compiled one.
Theoretically (and I believe in practise also in the future) interpreted code can be faster, more power efficient and less buggy than fully compiled one. There needs to be only one VM in RSS memory and all applications can use its codebase.
Device drivers and kernel is a different thing, but for applications it makes sense.
Very nice answer. I have been waiting ages to read an explanation like this.

Vínculos interesantes si nos visitas por primera vez (en inglés): New members say hello , New users start here, Community subforum, Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 101, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Si te puedo ayudar con cualquier otra cosa, sólo dilo!

Also, search this forum for NITDroid for info on an alternative OS method (as opposed to what the OP asked for, which is Dalvik running within Maemo).

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
on the topic of java, ARM cores have had a java accelerator for ages, thanks to j2me being "popular" on featurephones (with opera mini being the best known example).