Notices

Poll: Does the "generate" button cause the app to crash?
Poll Options
Does the "generate" button cause the app to crash?

Originally Posted by handaxe View Post
A probable clue lies here: http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...4&postcount=71. Yes it is about focus but then that is an optical function too, eh?
Funny and awesome you mention that because I was going to look into reinstalling that to see if it was a easy way to disable the redlight without having to invoking ./v4l2-ctl -c indicator_intensity=0 with a sleep command. I'll poke around that script. Thanks again; maybe I can be lazy and someone else will find it first

EDIT: hmmmmm.....don't see anything

Last edited by xopher; 2011-03-16 at 20:27.

Posts: 1,378 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Göteborg, Sweden
Perhaps I should have written: " A possible clue...." as I am not sure that v4l2-ctl can deal with zooming, particularly digital zoom....

The Following User Says Thank You to handaxe For This Useful Post:
Posts: 34 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Falls Church
hey guys,

as soon as i click stream and then go back to the camera screen to take it off stand by it just says operation failed and shuts the camera screen off. can anyone help me with this issue

^ That is meant to happen.
But it's still streaming, you just can't see it

Perhaps I should have written: " A possible clue...." as I am not sure that v4l2-ctl can deal with zooming, particularly digital zoom....
Definitely a lot of options with that binary.

Posts: 1,378 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Göteborg, Sweden
Edit: As xopher brought to my attention, the image dimensions used below pertain for unscaled streaming (eg to the n900's screen). Using phonestreamer will require different values related to te image dimension being streamed. BUT the principle still applies.

V4l2-ctl in fact in deals with digital "zoom" in particular. You can try it out as follows.

Needed: working ssh access to the n900 and phonestreamer, or

stream to phone screen:
Code:
gst-launch v4l2src device=/dev/video0 ! autovideosink
and v4l2-ctl on the n900 (make sure it is executable): http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=501105&postcount=7

Get the streaming going. Now, either in an x-terminal on the n900 (if streaming to n900 screen) or via ssh (best from the pc being streamed to) and making sure you get the correct path for the v4l2-ctl exe:
Code:
v4l2-ctl --set-crop=top=0,left=0,width=864,height=656
This should result in a "zoomed" stream
Code:
v4l2-ctl --set-crop=top=0,left=0,width=2592,height=1968
A "zoom-out" effect.

By fiddling with the top/left and width/height combos one determines the location and extent of zoom-in on the original image dimension. The effects here are entirely digital as the n900 lacks an optical zoom. If you just run v4l2-ctl you will get all the possible parameters. So yes, quite easily phonestreamer could zoom the stream. Best however to talk directly to the camera API.

Last edited by handaxe; 2011-03-17 at 01:41. Reason: clarifications

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to handaxe For This Useful Post:
That is quite awesome sir!

Indeed. I take it that this only works for the back camera though?
I could probably implement the zoom feature into PhoneStreamer, but you would only see the results on the desktop, not on the phone.

Mostly because it would be extremely resource heavy for the phone to stream both to the remote PC and to show the live video at the same time.

As for the ssh features of phoneStreamer, what did you have in mind exactly?

The Following User Says Thank You to tetris11_ For This Useful Post:
Any plans for this to hit the repos?

That would be cool too, have to get the values to keep the image centered when zooming in and out, and maybe 2 levels of zoom? It does only works with the rear.

EDIT It may work with the rear maybe have to pass another argument to line to specify the other camera because it appears to go to /dev/video0 for default

Last edited by xopher; 2011-03-17 at 00:58.

Tags
gstreamer, lets rock, video stream