Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 889 | Thanked: 537 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ scotland
anyone using the FM transmitter regularly probably has a few widgets like me, i have the fm boost + transmit widget, fmRDS widget, and the media player control widget, which i have tried to condense as seen here

what i propose is for all these functions to be in one cleaner "superwidget"

possibly incorporating next/previous track with volume keys (safer while driving)

and also possibly introduce a large +0.1mhz button, (skip transmit frequency +0.1mhz obviously! purpose - if you lose signal quality due to station congestion, skip your car stereo up to a better frequency, press +0.1 button by corresponding amount)

updated again

Thanks to Babel0 taking many of the ideas suggested here and incorporating them into his latest version of his fmrdsnotify widget we now have a fm superwidget (more or less!) this version of the widget has the default media player widget sitting snugly in the middle of it, overlap it when you install!

As you can see its much cleaner, crisper, and all around better than the collection of widgets we had been using previously, incorporates + and - mhz buttons for changing frequency on the fly and it's SKINNABLE!

should be in -devel repo's now! (no responsibility taken by anyone for bricked n900's, flood, fire, death, or mysterious appearance of a bowl of petunia's)

special thanks to maharadja for providing the skin for this widget and help throughout the process, but for those of you who wish to make your own skin (i know, how cool is that???) create a svg file and save as rds.svg, put it in MyDocs and remove/restart the desktop widget.

naming of obecjt ID's

* Label :
Station_Name : Default station Name
Station_Freq : Current Station Frequency
TX_Status_Off , TX_Status_On : Tx label status

* icons are :
FM_On_Icon, FM_Off_Icon : Switch Tx on / off
SMS_Off_Icon , SMS_On_Icon : SMS tags display
Phone_On_Icon, Phone_Off_Icon : Phone tags display
Music_On_Icon , Music_Off_Icon : Music tags display
Plus , Min : frequency of TX increase /decrease

or we have some community made skins for you to try out, simply unzip and save the file rds.svg under MyDocs. (1 at a time or it may get confused as to which skin you want, unti babel0 implementsl a skin chooser! ) all thanks to the respectice authors.

from carlito

from maharadja

from stonda
Attached Files
File Type: zip stonda.zip (6.7 KB, 180 views)
File Type: zip Stonda flipped.zip (6.3 KB, 128 views)
File Type: zip Maharadja latest.zip (13.6 KB, 145 views)
File Type: zip Carlito latest.zip (3.4 KB, 182 views)

its a sad day when i can't slip at least one hitchhiker reference in somewhere.

Last edited by festivalnut; 2010-09-27 at 10:47. Reason: update progress

The Following 34 Users Say Thank You to festivalnut For This Useful Post:
Posts: 199 | Thanked: 232 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Sweden
I really like this idea! Especially the idea of having a large +0.1mhz button onscreen! countless times I've been close to going off the road while changing the transm.freq. while driving.

I would easily pay a € or 2 for a widget like this!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to eMiL For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by eMiL View Post
I really like this idea! Especially the idea of having a large +0.1mhz button onscreen! countless times I've been close to going off the road while changing the transm.freq. while driving.

I would easily pay a € or 2 for a widget like this!
i was thinking it would be easiest if the current free widgets were joined up therefore charging for it would be unethical at best, however if someone wanted to code it from scratch i guess that would be a different story. however the fact your willing to pay for it shows a lot of enthusiasm so thanks for the support!

ps. i dont get much signal congestion where i am but i've heard many people having the same issue as you so thats why i thought of the +0.1mhz button. personally i usually swerve about trying to skip songs with the small buttons on the media player widget so the volume key support would be more useful to me!

The Following User Says Thank You to festivalnut For This Useful Post:
Hi,

I m the developper of FM Rds Notify widget... I m working on adding the SMS part as with Qt mobility it is simpliest to do.

And i think like you, pressing power FM button .. maybe i can include such thing in my widget with the power boost feature too

Fabrice

The Following 33 Users Say Thank You to BabelO For This Useful Post:
Posts: 323 | Thanked: 180 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Gent, Belgium
please include an extended lower frequency limit for the transmitter, as my car radio safely starts from 87.5 MHz ... and completely free from normal radio stations in my area ... so pleaaaaase ..

Now we still have to play around with shell scripts to override the official widget's frequency ...

The Following User Says Thank You to Netweaver For This Useful Post:
Yes got the same issue than you here ... added a rc.local script to change range of fm transmiter

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to BabelO For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by BabelO View Post
Hi,

I m the developper of FM Rds Notify widget... I m working on adding the SMS part as with Qt mobility it is simpliest to do.

And i think like you, pressing power FM button .. maybe i can include such thing in my widget with the power boost feature too

Fabrice
excellent news! the fm boost is included in the fm power widget i'm currently using, so perhaps speak to the developer of that about incorporating it straight in and save yourself some work!

so any plans on also incorporating some kind of media player controls, and/or a +0.1mhz button?

thanks!

Originally Posted by BabelO View Post
Hi,

I m the developper of FM Rds Notify widget...

Fabrice
i cant believe how few thanks you have for being the dev of such a great widget, everyone who has rds notify installed hit BabelO's thanks button and show the man some love!

The Following User Says Thank You to festivalnut For This Useful Post:
Posts: 820 | Thanked: 436 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Portsmouth, UK.
would there be a way for the transmitter and receiver to work in tandum so that when the receiver picks up interferance it pushes the frequency of the transmitter to the next free frequency.

If the receiver worked before the transmitter the transmitter could display the frequency it is changing to via rds notify, eg 'changing to 102.2 in 5 seconds' maybe accompanied by a beep. that way youd never even have to look at your n900.

Originally Posted by James_Littler View Post
would there be a way for the transmitter and receiver to work in tandum so that when the receiver picks up interferance it pushes the frequency of the transmitter to the next free frequency.

If the receiver worked before the transmitter the transmitter could display the frequency it is changing to via rds notify, eg 'changing to 102.2 in 5 seconds' maybe accompanied by a beep. that way youd never even have to look at your n900.
this has been discussed in other threads and unfortunately so far the answer is "uhhhh, dont think so, maybe," so until some genius can think of a way to get that (obviously preferable) method working, i thought the +0.1 button would be an easy to implement alternative.