Notices

Posts: 1,414 | Thanked: 7,547 times | Joined on Aug 2016 @ Estonia
Originally Posted by XOleg View Post
@rinigus I try this version. I don't know how to make better maps for Russia. For ex., I have interest for two regions(from 85), but for this I should to download two districts(from 8)... It's difference in space.
@XOleg, did you have problems with downloads using 0.7.0?

I am planning to approach planet chopping via polygons and when (if) I manage to set it up, it would be possible to add our own polygons into hierarchy. See for example POLY files at geofabric. As long as the number of polygons is not too large, I would be happy to add more with the preferences of early adopters high in priority.

I have in my mind something like @MartinK has done for modRana: https://github.com/M4rtinK/modrana-d...er/tools/polys . Except, in addition to poly files, I plan to have few others to describe relationship between libosmscout, libpostal, and geocoder-nlp datasets.

As soon as initial import is transferred to a new system, I will be able to get additional chopping as well. So, you would just have to wait a bit...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 127 | Thanked: 313 times | Joined on Sep 2016 @ Yekaterinbourg, Russia
Originally Posted by rinigus View Post
@XOleg, did you have problems with downloads using 0.7.0?

I have in my mind something like @MartinK has done for modRana: https://github.com/M4rtinK/modrana-d...er/tools/polys . Except, in addition to poly files, I plan to have few others to describe relationship between libosmscout, libpostal, and geocoder-nlp datasets.
@rinigus I don't tried :-)
the download(Ural+Volga) by Wi-Fi is finished(from my last message).

One question. maybe it's possible to combine efforts of @rinigus, @MartinK, @karry to create one good maps/navigation app? It's not simple(to combine), but...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to XOleg For This Useful Post:
Posts: 137 | Thanked: 392 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ Guate
THNKS @rinigus For its genuine continuous development of this.
- would like to know if after that version 0.7.0 it not enable to update the maps manual anymore?
- would be a good idea to help a maps navigation app among all of us = )

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to karlos devel For This Useful Post:
@rinigus I don't tried :-)
the download(Ural+Volga) by Wi-Fi is finished(from my last message).
Good! I will proceed with the update - just have to ensure that the timeout for connection would work and then get a new release out.

One question. maybe it's possible to combine efforts of @rinigus, @MartinK, @karry to create one good maps/navigation app? It's not simple(to combine), but...
In reality, these efforts are combined already. Together with @Karry we work on the offline part of the maps/navigation app. We use the same backend linbrary - libosmscout - and improve it together with several others. Recently, we worked on different aspects with me focusing on search and @Karry just finished a great work on rendering speedup. Corresponding changelog is at https://github.com/Framstag/libosmscout/commits/master .

I would still have to work on search and make it faster and, hopefully, occupy less storage space. That would be my focus as soon as we sort out the distribution of the maps, with @MartinK offering a lot of help. Before that, @Karry actually implemented and showed how such distribution can be done for his OSM Scout.

Notice that we also incorporate developers that are not working/using Sailfish. Main developers of libosmscout and libpostal are working on Linux, so there are even more people involved.

While @Karry works on GUI of his application, OSM Scout Server relies on Poor Maps (@otsaloma) and/or modRana (@MartinK). The whole idea behind working on the server was to combine the efforts of different developers and bring parts developed for offline maps to the map applications that we had already. I think all in all there is a fast progress on the front of maps/navigation [wanted to continue using a word soon, but it should be probably banned in SFOS universe].

Originally Posted by karlos devel View Post
THNKS @rinigus For its genuine continuous development of this.
- would like to know if after that version 0.7.0 it not enable to update the maps manual anymore?
- would be a good idea to help a maps navigation app among all of us = )
Yes, my idea is that, after 0.7, having self imported maps would be relatively hard (read impractical). This is due to difficulties on keeping dependencies between libosmscout/libpostal/geocoder-nlp and whatever fancy backend we would throw into the mix. I would suggest to try without self-imported maps for few releases and see if it is OK. If users would not like it after that, I would have to reconsider and make a simplish way to use custom imported maps.

Navigation app - help @MartinK and @otsaloma. OSM Scout Server does provide routes and Poor Maps / modRana can already show them. At present, Poor Maps is the best for navigation with its full navigation GUI during a drive. For me, the main missing part is rerouting in Poor Maps. After that, voice guidance. As far as I understood, rerouting code is already somewhere in modRana, but its not exposed yet. So, we have to be patient and help the devs as much as we could.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 270 | Thanked: 610 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Leipzig/Germany
@Feathers McGraw, Would you mind to test downloading with RPM provided at

https://mega.nz/#F!cdcEDbpb!i4A1GwKM_TXeRYBaahYgAg

It should resume downloads for few times (you would see RANGE messages in terminal if you start it over there). After testing and (hopefully fully) downloading, remove this RPM and install the one as in OpenRepos. This RPM has debug messages in it and not compiled in release mode.

If its all fine, I'll hook messages into GUI, merge translations that are ready and release 0.7.1. If it fails, then would be great to know how (as much as you know what to tell)
Just a quick feedback from my side: Using the linked test version I could succesfully download the Germany Map while being on my home wifi, so the improved download code seems to help for my case

http://www.seiichiro0185.org

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to seiichiro0185 For This Useful Post:
I have just released 0.7.1.

This time, the main changes are updated translations. I would like to thank all the translators for the great job on updating the messages!

In addition, the downloading has been made more robust and should be able to recover from smaller hiccups. During my testing I've got once "Connection closed" but that might have been since I was in the area without coverage.

Please let me know if you have more issues with downloads. I hope that those as we had earlier with some of you in Germany/UK are now resolved.

The new code still does not have keepalive incorporated into it. I would prefer to keep the server without keepalive if possible. So far all my downloads have worked fine without being on charger suggesting that in this case keepalive is not required. I guess if we will not notice any major issues with downloads, I'll keep it as it is.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 339 | Thanked: 1,623 times | Joined on Oct 2013 @ France
This time, the main changes are updated translations. I would like to thank all the translators for the great job on updating the messages!
I will try to help with French, which I just requested on transifex. If you have time to add it to the list, I'll try to work out most of it this weekend.

I'll also take a look on the Linux-side code (not Sailfish for now), to see if I can help there or not.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Zeta For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Zeta View Post
I will try to help with French, which I just requested on transifex. If you have time to add it to the list, I'll try to work out most of it this weekend.

I'll also take a look on the Linux-side code (not Sailfish for now), to see if I can help there or not.
Thanks for letting me know re transifex request - for some reason they notify me by email a day or two later. All accepted and should be ready.

Re Linux: Any help would be great! Few questions regarding it:

* Do you use server in Linux? If so, then I have to expose map downloading via command line options. Otherwise, its impossible to use it right now.

* On Linux side of things, there is a lot to be done on the backend libraries - libosmscout and geocoder. Its probably easier to start work on libosmscout since its a bigger community with different OS support and more help on the lists. geocoder though is a small code base, but it maybe not as well documented.

Additional note for users: @ade has been hit by a bug leading to OOM-killer on J1. Current suspicion is that the writing and uncompressing operations are slower that network download leading to accumulation of data in the buffers. Bug was exposed during libpostal dataset download which does contain a huge file. Issue was opened at https://github.com/rinigus/osmscout-server/issues/89 and I hope to resolve it within few days.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 339 | Thanked: 1,623 times | Joined on Oct 2013 @ France
Thanks for letting me know re transifex request - for some reason they notify me by email a day or two later. All accepted and should be ready.
Thanks. I have already done a bunch of the translations. 100 remaining that I will try to complete before Sunday.

* Do you use server in Linux? If so, then I have to expose map downloading via command line options. Otherwise, its impossible to use it right now.
I intend to use it on Linux, yes. I have also installed it on my Jolla through you packages on OpenRepos, to have more context while doing the translations, and as a reference.
So far I am trying to see what the prerequisites are to build the different parts (libosmscout, osmscout-server, ...), and have a lot of thins to read to understand better what every part is doing. But I will try to finish the translation before spending more time on that front.

* On Linux side of things, there is a lot to be done on the backend libraries - libosmscout and geocoder. Its probably easier to start work on libosmscout since its a bigger community with different OS support and more help on the lists. geocoder though is a small code base, but it maybe not as well documented.
Ok. I assume the reference website is http://libosmscout.sourceforge.net/ with the mailing lists at https://sourceforge.net/p/libosmscou...t-development/ ?
Are there other channels I need to read ?

Thanks for your work and help by the way.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Zeta For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Zeta View Post
Thanks. I have already done a bunch of the translations. 100 remaining that I will try to complete before Sunday.

I intend to use it on Linux, yes. I have also installed it on my Jolla through you packages on OpenRepos, to have more context while doing the translations, and as a reference.
So far I am trying to see what the prerequisites are to build the different parts (libosmscout, osmscout-server, ...), and have a lot of thins to read to understand better what every part is doing. But I will try to finish the translation before spending more time on that front.

Ok. I assume the reference website is http://libosmscout.sourceforge.net/ with the mailing lists at https://sourceforge.net/p/libosmscou...t-development/ ?
Are there other channels I need to read ?

Thanks for your work and help by the way.
Assuming that we'll figure it out this weekend with @ade what's going on with memory during download, translations by the end of weekend would fit perfectly with the next point release.

Using the server on Linux - great! I used it earlier in development with modRana, but haven't tried lately. To make it possible, I'll have to fix https://github.com/rinigus/osmscout-server/issues/90 , but that shouldn't be too complicated. Let me fix OOM-killer bug first and finish small scripts to move downloads to @MartinK server. Then I should be able to get issue #90 resolved in a night or two.

Dependencies on Linux are actually much simpler. Assuming that you do have RAM (more than 2-3GB), you can skip all these country-specific libpostal datasets. You would need to install libpostal as at https://github.com/openvenues/libpostal , libosmscout, and sqlite.

To use with the server downloadable datasets, please use https://github.com/rinigus/libosmscout Sailfish branch, latest release. For fixing / development of libosmscout, please use https://github.com/Framstag/libosmscout. Sorry for a mess, but that way I can keep versions consistent (upstream does not provide releases). libosmscout can be also used without the server using their own QML/Qt application which is available at github. Note that the work that you would do on backend features of libosmscout (map drawing, routing, and several others) would be pulled into the server and OSM Scout by @Karry as well. So, you would have to see what annoys you most and find the easiest way to work on it. Ask/propose project(s) if you like. Note that the mailing list is reasonably active and we all try to help each other as much as we could.

Geocoder-nlp is available as a submodule for osmscout-server. So, that's easy dependency.

In Linux, all configuration is done via INI configuration file, under .config/osmscout-server . At present, translations are not exposed to Linux to avoid double work by translators. We should probably just modify build scripts to copy harbour-osmscout-*ts files to osmscout-*.ts files.

In Linux, if you run server on a proper server without GUI, you may prefer using Cairo drawing backend of libosmscout. For that, just uncomment https://github.com/rinigus/osmscout-...onsole.pro#L20 and comment out a line above. Its possible to use Qt for drawing on a server hardware as well, but you would have struggle a bit with some environment vars, if I remember correctly.

I hope I remembered all what is relevant to this case. If you have any trouble, just ask.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:

Tags
geocoder, linux, offline maps, router, sailfish os, tiles