Notices

Posts: 256 | Thanked: 939 times | Joined on Jun 2014 @ Finland
Is there any chance to link Webcat and Jolla Browser browsing histories? Or at least that Webcat could see Jolla Browser history?

I need to investigate that but I think that sailfish-browser uses the mozilla way to save history. If its a sqlite database I only need to investigate how it is structured to make it show up also in webcat.
Though I am not sure how to access the database file without hardcoding the path somehow to $home/.mozilla/mozembed .
But needs investigation. Keep you updated

PS: found out they save as sqlite in $home/.local/org.sailfishos/sailfish-browser . Working on an integration.
P.P.S: Won't make it into webcat 1.0 though as the sqlite database access needs its own c++ class. I put it on the todo list for post 1.0

Donate using Liberapay

Last edited by llelectronics; 2014-12-19 at 11:37.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to llelectronics For This Useful Post:
Update: Early christmas present. Version 0.9.9 alias RC1 is out now: https://openrepos.net/content/llelectronics/webcat

Changelog:
  • Fixed download manager to download correctly and use utf-8
  • Use new layout in downloadmanager (status and error in seperate page)
  • Added translation support
  • Added german translation
  • Added translation for simplified chinese(Thx gexc)
  • Added czech translation (Thx to nodevel)
  • Added italian translation (Thx to Watchmaker)
  • Added dutch translation (Thx to Dude259)
  • Added spanish translation (Thx to carmenfdezb)
  • Fixed mediabar loading for youtube
  • Fixed youtube embeded support in yt.js
  • Added youtube embeded support for mediabar
  • Detect html5 video tag and show mediabar with playback and download option
  • Better youtube direct stream finding algorithm
  • Fix mediabar showing and hiding for various sources

Donate using Liberapay

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to llelectronics For This Useful Post:
Another small christmas update for Webcat. Thanks to the harbour review process by Jere Hakala I could fix two more bugs regarding downloadmanager not getting the correct download url and history not immediately removing the entries from history (needed a restart on older versions, because the historyModel was not cleared)

Version 0.9.9-2 is out now.

https://openrepos.net/content/llelectronics/webcat

Merry Christmas

Donate using Liberapay

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to llelectronics For This Useful Post:
Small update. As I had the chance to test webcat on a nexus 5 with sailfishos I noticed it doesn't scale correctly up.
Fix for resolution dependent graphical user interface is already in git.
I am now testing if it can still make it in the 1.0 release. (the ui on Jolla may change a tiny little bit when it comes to sizes of ui elements)

Donate using Liberapay

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to llelectronics For This Useful Post:
Another small update. Added Cover Action support as requested. For now and for the 1.0 release it will use the same actions as the sailfish-browser. This means the two actions are opening a new tab and stop/reload a webpage.
All updated in git. I am still waiting for someone to finish the russian translation otherwise it won't be included in the 1.0 release as it is unfinished.

Donate using Liberapay

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to llelectronics For This Useful Post:
Update: This is the big one.

Yeah Webcat finally reached version 1.0. It took me some time to get there but I think I got it as close as possible to perfection. (at least when you look at what is there available to work with [WebView in Qt 5])

The biggest achievement in this version besides some new and updated translations is a finally fixed mediabar that should not stuck on youtube and co anymore and a small but glorious hack to overcome the limitation of the statically set devicePixelRatio (that by default made every website and font unreadable on a mobile device).
This means you now should get the same fonts and scaling as with the default sailfish-browser on almost every mobile website. (I tested the most frequent ones I use)
But this also means for existing users of webcat to change their font settings to 16, 12 and 11. You can do so by applying the defaults in settings (which is not recommend if you have other customization done there) or manually

I am very excited about this release and all the help and feedback I got from you all
You are really one of the best communities out there.
I am also excited that there is now competition besides sailfish-browser in form of Web Pirate which is also based on WebKit but comes with a different user interface approach and a more cleaner code (I took only a quick look but man the developer knows to code clean)

As version 1.0 is out now I will work on future versions but at a slower pace then before.

Don't forget that there is a donate button :P

Hope you enjoy this version

Changes:
  • Updated spanish translation
  • Added Cover Action support (Open new tab & reload/stop)
  • Added russian translation
  • Added french translation
  • Added catalan translation
  • Fixed Mediabar (Bugs: hide/unhide,loading forever)
  • Allow to choose quality for yt videos by long press on play or download button
  • Added Credits for translators
  • Added Infobanner (showing when external app is about to be opened)
  • Add hack to override default devicePixelRatio
  • Set new default font sizes (set fonts to 16,12,11)

Get RPM (from openrepos)

Donate using Liberapay

Last edited by llelectronics; 2015-01-31 at 20:37.

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to llelectronics For This Useful Post:
Posts: 752 | Thanked: 2,808 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by llelectronics View Post
This means you now should get the same fonts and scaling as with the default sailfish-browser on almost every mobile website.
Thank you, this is big! It now works great on all websites I regularly visit.

The 1.0 version still contains a bug I thought I reported (or someone else did), but cannot find it, so I'll try to reproduce it here. The browser does not seem to display special characters (ěščřž...) from my language correctly.

Here is a comparison between Webcat and Sailfish Browser with few of those occurrences underlined.

It happens in WebPirate as well, so it must be another QtWebkit issue.

Yeah this is sadly a QtWebkit bug. I guess it uses some wrong font. Though the websites normally have the ability to set the font. So it must be a rendering issue.

Donate using Liberapay

Can anyone comment on Webcat's performance on the Nexus 5 (under Sailfish obviously)?

I'm finding that Firefox in Android under Update 10 causes the out of memory killer to happen almost every time I use it, closing all open apps (except phone app).

This forces me to use Webcat pretty much exclusively, but it doesn't perform quite as well as Firefox Android and really feels like it could use a better CPU (and more RAM). Then of course there's the fact that it also triggers the out of memory killer very frequently, albeit not every time.

If Jolla are going to make Alien Dalvik available on Sailfish generally**, then I'll immediately and happily get rid of the Jolla. The RAM issues are too frustrating to deal with anymore .... and I'm also beginning to find the poor touch accuracy and responsiveness of the Jolla's screen an increasingly big issue, having spent more time on my Sony Z3c due to traveling****. If the Nexus 5 feels and performs significantly better, I'll swap to it.

** SailfishOS.org claims Android applications work on Sailfish, not the Jolla
**** Browser wifi log in still doesn't work on Jolla

Tags
browser, webbrowser