Anyone know of any things N900 related (flashing, rescueos, USB internet etc) that are incompatible with Wndows 10?

I am upgrading soon (due to windows 7 no longer getting security updates) and want to make sure nothing N900 related will break when I do (or if it does, what the alternatives are)

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jonwil For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by jonwil View Post
Anyone know of any things N900 related (flashing, rescueos, USB internet etc) that are incompatible with Wndows 10?

I am upgrading soon (due to windows 7 no longer getting security updates) and want to make sure nothing N900 related will break when I do (or if it does, what the alternatives are)
I somehow placed you as a Linux-only guy.
Sorry, no idea about windows-compability of maemo tools, last time I looked that direction was when XP was the cutting edge.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
If you have already used the 64-bit version of Win7 you should not have any unknown problems, use libusb and maybe this unsigned driver Win10 thing. But I switched to Linux at home and using Win10 only since few month in office. So talking about something I do not know of

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,700 | Thanked: 4,751 times | Joined on Apr 2018 @ Helsinki, Finland.
You said win7 does not get security updates anymore? I am not on map on this and have been without reading news for many weeks. I remember it was said that one day this would happen but is it now? My wife want's our home pc to be windows with Office 97. Maybe we should now then change that.

Master of not knowing (active)

For me it is possible to get lost in any case (active)

Learning to fall from high (DONE)

Learning to code with BASIC (WIP)

The Following User Says Thank You to Maemish For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Oh Maemish,

Office97? Serious? (rethoric question, I know it is serious )
Does it even run a 64-bit system? How did you insert the floppy disks?

Get her to switch to any Linux (ubuntu comes close to Win) with LibreOffice and let her use it a few weeks...
Here it worked... (especially coming from '97)

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,417 | Thanked: 2,619 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Touring
I have had my wife running Linux for about 20 years now. At this point running Ubuntu-mate with LibreOffice and Chromium(de-googled) or firefox VLC and Audacity she has most everything she wants or needs on her computer.
If there is anything which NEEDS windows(for me old solidworks) I run a disposable net-blocked cloned instance of a master copy(a fresh from DVD win7 virtual install and then clean solidworks and virtualbox add-ons for win7 reference master never any net access) running in Virtualbox.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to biketool For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,700 | Thanked: 4,751 times | Joined on Apr 2018 @ Helsinki, Finland.
We have borth wrote our thesis with Office 97 and so much more that it is in our bones. I use mainly LibreOffice cause I have Linux in all my machines (now FreeDos on one though) but she does not find as easily certain stuff from LibreOffice and likes that even something stays the same in this ever changing world of IT. I thought of installing it to linux with Wine so she could have it still. Just should probably run it in sandbox.

I took atlast in use iMac27 which I have had behind one chair for two years. 16Gb ram with good graphic card is better than in any my other computer. We use it now for watching series in the evenings from the net. Haven't had a tv fro over 20 years, mainly watched with laptop and sometimes with a projector. Got the iMac for free from a friend cause graphic card was not working. Youtube instructed how to open the machine and take it apart and bake in the owen the graphic card and voila - 4K vids play again. Thinking of using it for editing movies better (a hobby making movies better in my opinion, made from a 3h movie to 2h with windows movie maker - which was a bit pain with a slowerf cpu and 4Gb ram). My next big movie challenge is to make a movie out of the originall bbc Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy serie.

Master of not knowing (active)

For me it is possible to get lost in any case (active)

Learning to fall from high (DONE)

Learning to code with BASIC (WIP)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Maemish For This Useful Post: