Active Topics

Posts: 3,203 | Thanked: 1,391 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Worthing, England
Originally Posted by fatalsaint View Post
Come on man.. that's exactly what Mine was to show you how to do .
almost! what it didn't explain to my thick head... and what i wasn't prepared for.... The QT Designer dumps classes in the mix, so i think i'm trying to call a general function from within a class.... (Global variables helped me out earlier )

i got a function working 15 mins ago! - and i'm now commenting my work, so once that is done, i'm goi ng to try and split it into more functions
----------- Are you on the N900 World Map? - http://pininthemap.com/maemo - masterpin: shotgun
----------- What apps do you want to see on the n900 or in MeeGo in the future? -

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by noobmonkey View Post
[*]Can someone explain simply how i get a button to call a function please? - i understand the "def part" - created a function, but really can't figure out how to simply call it from the button... is there any easy guide?
self.connect(self.myButton, QtCore.SIGNAL("clicked()"), self.clickFoo)

(obviously the exact object names will differ, but you get the idea)

The Following User Says Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
self.connect(self.myButton, QtCore.SIGNAL("clicked()"), self.clickFoo)

(obviously the exact object names will differ, but you get the idea)
meh ok maybe i needed more, as that doesnt explain where the function name is that i am calling..... which is where i am getting confused....

That starts a signal...?!(i think?)
I then need to figure out how to catch that and run a function?! lol

or is that the self.clickFoo part? (if the function is not part of the same class is it just clickFoo? )

(Or is it just me being confuzzled?)
----------- Are you on the N900 World Map? - http://pininthemap.com/maemo - masterpin: shotgun
----------- What apps do you want to see on the n900 or in MeeGo in the future? -

meh ok maybe i needed more, as that doesnt explain where the function name is that i am calling..... which is where i am getting confused....

That starts a signal...?!(i think?)
I then need to figure out how to catch that and run a function?! lol

or is that the self.clickFoo part? (if the function is not part of the same class is it just clickFoo? )

(Or is it just me being confuzzled?)
Yes to the last.. I guess my tutorial wasn't clear enough.. this is exactly what it is demonstrating.

That last part in his signal: self.clickFoo() < the function name is clickFoo().

If you use "self." that means within the same class as you are connecting the signal too. So you'll create def clickFoo: within the QT class for the main window.

If you want to call functions from other places.. you would pass the appropriate object to the function call in the self.clickFoo() part. If it's a global function, just "clickFoo()", etc.
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fatalsaint For This Useful Post:
Yes to the last.. I guess my tutorial wasn't clear enough.. this is exactly what it is demonstrating.

That last part in his signal: self.clickFoo() < the function name is clickFoo().

If you use "self." that means within the same class as you are connecting the signal too. So you'll create def clickFoo: within the QT class for the main window.

If you want to call functions from other places.. you would pass the appropriate object to the function call in the self.clickFoo() part. If it's a global function, just "clickFoo()", etc.
Ahaaaaaaaaa!!!!
Superb, will finish my commenting so it is a bit tidier! - then give it a go!
Thank you so much for your help
(Would thank by donating towards your N900 - but no way near payday! hehe)

The Following User Says Thank You to noobmonkey For This Useful Post:
ok well tried it....
my class is
class Ui_MainWindow(object):

The error is:
Attribute error: 'UI_MainWindow' object has no attribute 'connect'

Button call in class, sub function, def setupUi(self, MainWindow):
self.connect(self.pushButton, QtCore.SIGNAL("clicked()"), self.updateTab1)

Function in Class:
def updateTab1(self, MainWindow):

ok well tried it....
my class is
class Ui_MainWindow(object):

The error is:
Attribute error: 'UI_MainWindow' object has no attribute 'connect'

Button call in class, sub function, def setupUi(self, MainWindow):
self.connect(self.pushButton, QtCore.SIGNAL("clicked()"), self.updateTab1)

Function in Class:
def updateTab1(self, MainWindow):
If you do it that way You might need self.ui.btnName.connect....

Do it like I do it in my tutorial
Code:
QtCore.QObject.connect(self.ui.btnAdd, QtCore.SIGNAL('clicked()'), self.doAdd)
ETA: Also self.pushButton I don't think is going to work.. do you have a line similar to:
Code:
self.ui = Ui_MainWindow()
Then you need to use self.ui.pushButton...

Wait - looking at your code - are you using pyuic4 or did you write your own qt interface in the code?

Last edited by fatalsaint; 2010-02-17 at 22:02.

Do it like I do it in my tutorial
Code:
QtCore.QObject.connect(self.ui.btnAdd, QtCore.SIGNAL('clicked()'), self.doAdd)
ETA: Also self.pushButton I don't think is going to work.. do you have a line similar to:
Code:
self.ui = Ui_MainWindow()
Then you need to use self.ui.pushButton...

Wait - looking at your code - are you using pyuic4 or did you write your own qt interface in the code?
Lol woulda helped if i had spelt the button name correctly - missed the _hw part!

And yes finally, your qtcore bit worked!! - well i hope it did.... I picked the one thing to try that wasn't going to change - the GPS location! lol....

Will try the accellerometer stuff now!

P.s. have i told you i love you recently?

ickle bit of both

ickle bit of both
Ew. Note to noobmonkey: If you use pyuic4 to convert a ui.. don't modify that code directly. That gets ugly and messy and then you can't modify it again with QT Designer.

It's just bad mojo.

Have a separate class in your main .py file that calls the UI class and put everything into that. So much cleaner.. and then you can open/edit/save/convert your UI all day long and never have to change a lick of code.

Tags
code, health check, n900, python