premise:
I am not a developer, I don't have any linux skill- this is just a stupid, little dirty "trick" I am using to solve an issue I faced in daily use of sailfish on my xperia x/jolla C

Hi I am daily user of sailfish and unfortunately I am not amongst those who can happily go just with native apps, since some apps are not available as native apps or as web-apps. Even worse, for some app I do want to use, AD layer isn't enough, since they ask me to install google play services in order to be able to use them. On the other hand I really dislike to have google spyware services constantly running on my device and consuming battery power. So I wished to find a way to use those hated services only when really needed, without having to manually digit all the terminal commands. Looking here and there I created a script that allow the user to install and remove google services (and play store) as quickly as possibile. Eventually I managed to run the aforementioned script just tapping an icon on the launcher.

I would be more than happy if anybody (maybe a "real" dev) want to improve any aspect of this simple trick or to convert this in an app. I also wish to find a way to allow ONLY the script running as sudo, without allowing all users to use sudo command.

Anyway, since I am using it quite happily since two months, I would just like to share it in case anybody is interested.

These are the steps:

1) Download the necessary files at the following link:
https://cloud.disroot.org/s/dKqwbZfA3GWiGNG

2) Install “sudo” from nielDK ‘s repository using openrepos/storeman

3) Open the terminal, digit “devel-su” and insert your password to login as root

4) Edit “sudoers” file (/etc/sudoers/) using Vi:

- Go to “etc” folder ( digiting “cd /etc/”)
- Open the file using Vi digiting “vi sudoers”
- Set insert mode digiting “:i”
- Insert the line “nemo ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD:ALL” immediatily under the first line of code (##sudoers file.)
- Save and exit ( digit “:x” and then “:q”)

5) Copy com.google.android.gms-1.apk, GmsCore.apk, GoogleLoginservice.apk, GoogleServicesFramework.apk, Phonesky.apk to /home/nemo/Downloads

6) Copy “googleservices” folder to /home/nemo

7) Copy “installgoogle.desktop” and “removegoogle.desktop” from “googleservices” folder to /usr/share/applications

8) Copy “installgoogle.sh” and “removegoogle.sh” from “googleservices” folder to home/nemo

9) Make the following files executable (“chmod +x filename” as root or using sudo):

- installgoogle.sh (/home/nemo/)
- removegoogle.sh (/home/nemo/)

It is now possible to install/remove google services just clicking on the relative icons in the launcher (named ingoogle and nogoogle).

To check the installation status I suggest to use the app “Play Services Info” available on the aptoide store. With the same app it is also possible to open playstore just clicking on the specific item.

PS: I edited the original post a bit since I have found a way to make things little easier; now compiled files (previously named as "ingoogle" and "nogoogle") are not used anymore - scripts files ("installgoogle.sh" and "removegoogle.sh") are directly used instead. If you already tried this trick with the "old" procedure I suggest to do it again with the "new" one

Last edited by itdoesntmatt; 2018-12-09 at 20:31.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to itdoesntmatt For This Useful Post:
When I set Play to my SFOX it worked only for a while (days probably) until it started giving "download pending" to installations. I presumed Google blocks this with some sort of timed checks. How long have you used Play? Did you run into anything similar?

The Following User Says Thank You to pexi For This Useful Post:
this script follow the method to block the automatic update process of GPlay to a newer version (which give the issue you reported). if you want try and let me know

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to itdoesntmatt For This Useful Post: