Notices

Posts: 76 | Thanked: 33 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Portland, Or
Originally Posted by Apoc View Post
Shows what I know about camera phones

Well at least curves and RAW would be do-able. I love the idea of a slider for manual focus, if we could do that in live video too, that would be really handy. With an aperture of 2.8 we could get some neat effects with a manual focus slider in vids. And of course the live curves levels applied in real time to the vid as well.
Curves and levels, I couldn't live without my levels. At least slip us a 3 color histogram in the gallery.

The Following User Says Thank You to ohwut For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Shows what I know about camera phones

Well at least curves and RAW would be do-able. I love the idea of a slider for manual focus, if we could do that in live video too, that would be really handy. With an aperture of 2.8 we could get some neat effects with a manual focus slider in vids. And of course the live curves levels applied in real time to the vid as well.
what the ****?!?!? do you have any idea what size is aperture 1/2.8 @5mm?!?!? it is about Ø1,8mm. And what about 1/2.8 @ 300mm? it is about Ø107mm.

the physical size of aperture is straightly relative to amount of blur.

and lets take "normal" 50mm. what aperture is similar to the n900's camera module: 50/x = Ø1,8mm -> x = 28. so go ahead and try with dslr @50mm aperture about 1/28 and see how cool the blur effect is....

http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html

absolutely no to the raws and stuff. theres no use for it. buy dslr if you want it. M, Av & Tv (from canon) at maximum.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ossipena For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
I think more manual control over the camera would be nice.

I don't want RAW, but I want to be able to select HQ (low/no compression) or Normal JPG.

And flash control. There seems to be only two settings for flash -- "glaring white-out" or "off". There's gotta be some other settings, no?

The camera has "Tessar 2.8/5.2" on it, what does that all mean?

EDIT: f2.8 at 5.2mm?

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
The camera also has a "rolling shutter", causing some very interesting effects to occur:

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Posts: 73 | Thanked: 79 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Virginia
Originally Posted by ossipena View Post
what the ****?!?!? do you have any idea what size is aperture 1/2.8 @5mm?!?!? it is about Ø1,8mm. And what about 1/2.8 @ 300mm? it is about Ø107mm.

the physical size of aperture is straightly relative to amount of blur.

and lets take "normal" 50mm. what aperture is similar to the n900's camera module: 50/x = Ø1,8mm -> x = 28. so go ahead and try with dslr @50mm aperture about 1/28 and see how cool the blur effect is....

http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html

absolutely no to the raws and stuff. theres no use for it. buy dslr if you want it. M, Av & Tv (from canon) at maximum.
Obviously if I want blur I should use my DSLR and my f1.2 50mm lens, *but* blur(field of confusion) is also dependent on how close your focus point is to the lens it's self. So if shooting something right up next to the lens in the lens' minimum focus distance one should still be able to create a nice blur effect. And slowly changing the focus to something more in the distance during live video could look quite nice.

I also agree with the RAW capture, seems useless on a 5mp camera phone. Still if you can control the curves and levels when writing it to JPEG it could be very useful.

Originally Posted by qole View Post
I think more manual control over the camera would be nice.

I don't want RAW, but I want to be able to select HQ (low/no compression) or Normal JPG.

And flash control. There seems to be only two settings for flash -- "glaring white-out" or "off". There's gotta be some other settings, no?

The camera has "Tessar 2.8/5.2" on it, what does that all mean?

EDIT: f2.8 at 5.2mm?
I highly doubt there are any more settings for the flash, I believe the LEDs are either on or off, however you could change how long they stay on for during longer flash based exposures.. Oh that reminds me.. Slow sync/Rear curtain sync would be nice to have on a point and shoot.

And yes f2.8 at 5.2mm is what ossipena was saying. Also thanks for the very cool picture, I was unaware of the rolling shutter effect and had to wiki it, very cool for a couple artistic ideas.

Posts: 70 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ London, UK
Well, you can get RAW files with point and shoot digital compact cameras if you have one of Canon stylish little Ixus cameras. I can on mine, by using alternative firmware:

http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK

Posts: 543 | Thanked: 181 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Universe,LocalCluster.MilkyWay.Sol.Earth.Europe.Slovenia.Ljubljana
I am aware of that. As said I haven't found an acceptable device yet. I'm not a Canikon user. But having RAW and RAW+JPEG with the N900(for those that want it - not always etc...) is imho a very good thing. It means one can go and fixup some of the more annoying issues one can get.

I know it's not the best thing with the lens and so on. But it could work well.

And to the person that is completly opposed to this. I take it you're completly opposed to everything that doesn't fit your personal opinion.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ruskie For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
A small technical tidbit - on low(er)-end cameras you don't have RAW because people don't need it, but because it would be an engineering obstacle. Remember, processing an X megapixel image on a generic CPU takes a LOT of time, that's why they all use dedicated hardware for that. So, in order to fit stuff into buffers, get better image rate (=throughput) the RAW image never really reaches the firmware/'main' CPU parts. DSLRs and high-end PS-es of course go the extra mile and actually have strong enough hardware to deal with RAW through the whole image processing chain, but that's a different story. As for the particular hardware in the N900, I have no idea just how close to actual pixels can we (end users/independent developers) get - especially considering some of the elements involved in image processing (both HW&SW) are a patent/closed source minefield.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Obviously if I want blur I should use my DSLR and my f1.2 50mm lens, *but* blur(field of confusion) is also dependent on how close your focus point is to the lens it's self. So if shooting something right up next to the lens in the lens' minimum focus distance one should still be able to create a nice blur effect. And slowly changing the focus to something more in the distance during live video could look quite nice.
no reason to get hopes up, the effect is very minimal no matter what if you are comparing it to tvs focus effects. and the camera module is pretty sharp from minimal focusing distance to infinity when focused to minimal distance...

Last edited by ossipena; 2009-10-22 at 10:53.

The Following User Says Thank You to ossipena For This Useful Post:
Posts: 402 | Thanked: 451 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ India
Originally Posted by Jason404 View Post
Well, you can get RAW files with point and shoot digital compact cameras if you have one of Canon stylish little Ixus cameras. I can on mine, by using alternative firmware:

http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK
I believe any powershot series camera from Canon can shoot RAW as they can be loaded with CHDK to run.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vkv.raju For This Useful Post:

Tags
camera, interface, manual, n900, slr