Originally Posted by Straycat View Post
N810 = almost PERFECT device.

N900 = screen too small.
I feel the exact same way. I already get what I need from my N810 and my G1. The N900s small screen, restricted keyboard and lack of USB host are the biggest turnoffs. However, I do envy the processor speed.

Posts: 1,296 | Thanked: 1,773 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Budapest, Hungary
Originally Posted by bunanson View Post
2% quick note: never use, dont know
Xournal is pretty good for that.
The built-in Notes application is also not bad, and there is also a note-taking widget.

The Following User Says Thank You to Venemo For This Useful Post:
I have a used N810 on order from ebay as I want to use it as a "supercalculator" with octave, gcc, vim and gnuplot. Having some office functionality and a web browser with email is gravy on top of that.

I went to frys to check out the N900 to see what my device would look like. I was a bit scared as it was way too small. The screen was smaller than my blackberry storm and the keyboard was tiny too (but usable). I thought....this is a bit too small. I hope the 810 is bigger. I knew that the 810 was over 4" diagonal and the 900 seemed a bit smaller than that, so I had that hope. I went home and searched on the web and wonderful news, the 810 has a bigger screen and keyboard.

I really don't know why manufacturers are thinking that smaller is better. If all you are doing is watching a video or looking at some photos, then sure, but for just about anything else (browsing, text reading, etc...) the bigger screen is better. In fact, I wouldn't mind if the 810 had a 6" screen, but for it's price it's the best at what it does. And for my application "Supercalculator", it's perfect.

I'm also excited about the chip in it too. I've worked with the OMAP chip before when I did some consulting for Sharp labs and they had a concept TV with this processor in it and the TV could render photos over the net and video from mp4 flash cards in a PCMCIA slot......all decoded using the DSP on that chip. It's a darn cool chip.

I'm so surprised that Nokia doesn't realize that this market is a big one if they played it right. It could wipe the IPOD market. There are people that want more than to hear fart sounds on their internet tablets. The screen size is actually perfect as it allows it to fit in your pocket while maintaining as large a screen as possible.

The N900 just doesn't cut it for form factor. Also, these devices cannot be used as phones as people will have to pay for unlocked devices so they won't be able to get them for $99 like regular phones. They should double the size of the N900 and only leave in an optional 3G modem. Get rid of the phone.

Honestly, I find these internet phones difficult to use as phones. I am thinking of just using my N810, and maybe switching back to my LG phone with bluetooth and it can do an internet connection which the N810 could use for where there is no wifi. This way I can keep my internet tablet seperate from my phone, which is what I'd prefer to do.

....and I can keep my phone easier to use, cheaper and smaller. I just want a phone with a WAP browser for getting weather and simple stuff like that.

I'm a developer too. I'd be more inclined to develop for the 810 if it were still being sold. Nokia can still use this same product by selling it for $150 (the parts have reduced in price by this much) and maybe using a double speed CPU chip....no software changes....call it the 820!

I'm rambling a bit now....just excited to be getting one of these and getting linux set up the way I want it.

The Following User Says Thank You to webmasterpdx For This Useful Post:
Posts: 900 | Thanked: 273 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Fresno CA USA
webmasterpdx,

I'm with you and very happy with the N810 I've had for a while. Wouldn't replace it with an N900 but your N820 concept would send me to the store cash in hand.
Personal Blog -- 3 Joe's Blog

N810 -- 5.2010.33-1

Posts: 1,359 | Thanked: 717 times | Joined on May 2009 @ ...standing right behind you...
Originally Posted by hordeman View Post
I feel the exact same way. I already get what I need from my N810 and my G1. The N900s small screen, restricted keyboard and lack of USB host are the biggest turnoffs. However, I do envy the processor speed.
I would agree. Played with an N900 a number of times (not mine) and the screen is, to me, much too small to be a tablet/portable computer (and with the poor keyboard). The N900 will remain primarily a phone the way I see it and after viewing it as such I got a phone I am enjoying a lot.

These 'comparisons' are obviously highly subjective (screen 'too small', etc) and no one is 'right or wrong' - just make an educated decision and be done with it.
AutoScan, Diablo5 Theme, Dialcentral, DragLock, EmelFM2, FlipClock, gPodder, Headphoned, Knots 2, Maemo Mapper, mPlayer, openNTPD, OpenSSH, Panucci, Personal Launcher, QuickNote, Seqretary, SlideLock, Telescope, YellowNotes

Posts: 961 | Thanked: 565 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Tyneside, North East England
I absolutely love the form factor of the N810, compared to the N900. the wife has an N97 with a similar size screen, and i have had a quick play with a N900 in a shop, and although it is better in sooo many ways, the form factor change is a negative for me. I

It is a real shame that a maemo 4.5 release was not made with all of the upgraded apps etc from maemo5 which would run on the N8x0, including the media player, calendar, updated email, and ovi maps.

Mer never really seemed to provide this promise, instead it concentrated on a open alternative base system.

I want to thank everyone for their very helpful and informative replies in this thread. Thanks to everyone's feedback I went ahead and got a N900. Had it for about 10 days so far enjoying using the new Maemo and hardware. Here are my thoughts specifically compared to the N810:

- At first the screen size feels tiny, much smaller than half an inch, gaming and ebook reading is definitely worse on this screen. This concerned me the most, after a few days using you don't really notice it at all, but the N810 does feel huge in comparison. The real thing is that the N900 is a lot more comfortable to hold in your hand. Now I understand why people want "portrait" software since it's comfortable to hold in that position, I hadn't realized how uncomfortable the N810 is in this regard. Although conversely portrait software is more necessary since there is so much less vertical space on the N900.
- Screen is noticeably brighter
- Screen/UI is much more responsive than the N810's
- Unit fits better in a pocket than the N810
- Not sure why they even bothered with the kickstand, N810's is so much better
- Included media player is less choppy than the N810
- Everything runs faster, taskswitching is far faster, emulators are faster, all games run faster, web browsing is considerably faster, I haven't tried overclocking but I can hardly imagine it being faster. This alone makes a huge difference.
- Gaming controls are worse, smaller keys is bad, no d-pad is bad. Having the arrows on the right is weird. Extended gaming using the keyboard fatigues my thumbs a lot worse than the N810 as there is so much less lee-way for your other fingers to support the weight of the unit. Your thumbs hold most of the weight and they have to be bent more to access the controls which are closer to the edges than before. Hopefully the gamepad thing will solve this issue.

Overall a solid release, pleased with the direction Nokia is going and glad this platform is getting more mainstream.

Last edited by CyberCat; 2010-04-28 at 20:22.

Posts: 1,359 | Thanked: 717 times | Joined on May 2009 @ ...standing right behind you...
Originally Posted by CyberCat View Post
Money isn't really a concern, I'm more interested in whether it's better than the N810 for what I do. My usage is 80% games, 15% GPS/Maps and 3% web browsing, 2% quick note taking. What have been your impressions with it?
With that percentage split you would, honestly, do better getting an iPod Touch. And that comes from someone who loves his N810 - but I am also not blind to the fact that gaming on Maemo devices is pitiful at best.
AutoScan, Diablo5 Theme, Dialcentral, DragLock, EmelFM2, FlipClock, gPodder, Headphoned, Knots 2, Maemo Mapper, mPlayer, openNTPD, OpenSSH, Panucci, Personal Launcher, QuickNote, Seqretary, SlideLock, Telescope, YellowNotes

I have 810 for some time already ... And WSOD'ed 770 ... 900 has too high price for me at the moment...

Only things I find better in 900 are:
1. Built in camera pointed AWAY, not in face
2. Twice as powerful CPU
3. Integrated GPS support

810 has camera, althou the front "glass" got scratched from active use so camera got useless... No way replacing it... But still, 810 HAS camera.
810 has ability to connect to mobile phones of Nokia, to use GSM features (althou haven't got any supported phone to test that), and GPRS features through BT... So, 810 ALMOST supports GPS thingy, externally...
So, only thing to consider as best update at 900, is CPU.

Althou, I haven't found any solution to sloooooow GPS on 810, and haven't found any possibility for localising to my country, I am still on 810, and will buy 900 only after a year about, when price will be lower and new software will be already avilable... And then, I will search some user reviews to make up my mind...
Maybe, after ruining my 810 maemo and putting "Mer" on it, it will be faster and better... but we will se...

PS: If anyone can help with my issues, please, do so...

Last edited by Deele; 2010-05-05 at 03:53.

Originally Posted by Deele View Post
810 has ability to connect to mobile phones of Nokia, to use GSM features (althou haven't got any supported phone to test that), and GPRS features through BT... So, 810 ALMOST supports GPS thingy, externally...
I'm not quite sure what you mean (GPS and GPRS are completely different things). The N810 has a semi-usable integrated GPS but also supports external bluetooth GPS devices just fine, like its predecessors. GPRS via bluetooth also works fine.

So, only thing to consider as best update at 900, is CPU.
And RAM (much more important IMO).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:

Tags
n810 n900 comparison