Originally Posted by herpderp View Post
Nokia’s Return To The Smartphone (Android) Market: Officially Confirmed

Well, they fall to the EVIL Google Empire!!! Cue sad and infuriated remarks.
There will be no peace until google is kill - George Washington

Originally Posted by karan5chaos View Post
IMO if nokia starts supporting meego again or popularizes the Sailfish OS by forming an alliance with jolla , Then Google can be dethroned from the smartphone empire in mere 3 to 4 years . I would love to see a Nokia phone running Sailfish OS !
Difficult at best.

Nokia will have to develop:
- a compelling OS
- a compelling device
✓ - a payment and store ecosystem (OVI, needs work)
✓ - a navigation system (HERE Maps)
- a video sharing portal (Vimeo, YouTube)
- a video telephony service (Facetime, Hangouts)
- a social network solution (G+, Facebook, Instagram)
- an email system (Exchange, GMail)
- a cloud storage solution (OneDrive, Dropbox)
- a search engine (Google Search, Now, Siri, Cortana, Bing)
- a TV connecting medium (Chromecast, AirPlay)
- a translate engine

I'm not saying its impossible.
I'm just saying its really really difficult, and probably requires a $10B+ investment.
(I would go by making $1,000 hardware and sell it for $500, partner with other companies like Yahoo, Amazon, Dropbox etc etc, and pay devs lots of money to port their Apps, and give away free gift cards to use in the ecosystem to all the customers)

I'm flattered

Posts: 180 | Thanked: 180 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ New Delhi, DELHI, INDIA
Originally Posted by HtheB View Post
Does Nokia even acknowledge the existence of Jolla and Sailfish OS?

I wish some Jolla employee could enlighten us if Nokia ever contacted Jolla or if Jolla ever contacted Nokia
iirc, back in the days, Nokia helped in the formation of Jolla, did it not?

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by princefakhan View Post
iirc, back in the days, Nokia helped in the formation of Jolla, did it not?
If by "helped" you mean "pi$$ed off some employees enough to make them leave and found their own company" then yes, they helped indeed.

Nokia has to regain the capability to build devices, a high end android phone branded as Nokia does not say much. I do prefer the Jolla "unlike" way!

Posts: 943 | Thanked: 3,228 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Zagreb
Originally Posted by Kangal View Post
Difficult at best.

- a translate engine
why? There's plenty of existing services already. Do we need more? Or do we really need them at all? I for sure don't. I'm using the same pop server for last 17 years and that works on everything. Just proper client would do. Depending on a lot of external services is not my cup of tee. How many of them get shut down every day? Google killed a few dozen, SONY also, youtube won't work on most smart TV's from 2012, OnLive gaming....... the list is endless. So I want device/OS that can be useful without 24/7 internet connection and gazillion cloud services.
And most of the above can be done in a browser so I'll rather have one good capable browser instead of 10 apps.

Originally Posted by karan5chaos View Post
IMO if nokia starts supporting meego again or popularizes the Sailfish OS by forming an alliance with jolla , Then Google can be dethroned from the smartphone empire in mere 3 to 4 years . I would love to see a Nokia phone running Sailfish OS !
Difficult at best.

- a compelling OS
- a compelling device
✓ - a payment and store ecosystem (OVI, needs work)
✓ - a navigation system (HERE Maps)
- a translate engine

I'm not saying its impossible.
I'm just saying its really really difficult, and probably requires a $10B+ investment.
(I would go by making $1,000 hardware and sell it for $500, partner with other companies like Yahoo, Amazon, Dropbox etc etc, and pay devs lots of money to port their Apps, and give away free gift cards to use in the ecosystem to all the customers)
Girls, please - you're both pretty.

But also wrong.

karan, the smartphone market is far more entrenched than it was 7 years ago. Windows Phone is pretty polished and even has most apps available for it, and the handsets are available for rock bottom prices - but even with all those plus points it's barely made a dent against Android. BlackBerry are making nice phones with a very nice, Android compatible OS right now, and they aren't pulling up any trees either.

Kangal - first of all I feel it quite important to state that Siri is not a search engine. Its back-end runs on Bing, IIRC. Also, third party would be absolutely fine for most if not all of those things.

Originally Posted by kinggo View Post
why? There's plenty of existing services already. Do we need more? Or do we really need them at all? I for sure don't. I'm using the same pop server for last 17 years and that works on everything. Just proper client would do. Depending on a lot of external services is not my cup of tee. How many of them get shut down every day? Google killed a few dozen, SONY also, youtube won't work on most smart TV's from 2012, OnLive gaming....... the list is endless. So I want device/OS that can be useful without 24/7 internet connection and gazillion cloud services.
And most of the above can be done in a browser so I'll rather have one good capable browser instead of 10 apps.
Agreed, that's one of the most important things.

However, I thought karan was talking about the Google ecosystem, because all of those tie into Android. Android is just a vessel, and on its own its not too special. In fact, if you try running barebones AOSP with no Google ties, it becomes a poor experience.

So if Nokia wants to dethrone Android, but keep Google's services that's an entirely different question and scenario. For example:

- Use Linux kernel, Qt framework, and Kangal UI
- Make Nokia N9 like device, just re-freshed and not sucky
- Use OVI services, but polish them up
- Use HERE Maps, it might need some updating
- Have native apps for YouTube, Netflix, Vimeo, Twitch, Vine etc
- Have native apps for Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, Meerkat etc
- Have a native cloud storing facility to sync Contacts, Alarms, Calendar, Memos, Settings etc etc
- Have a rock-solid email solution, and one that caters for the big ones MS, Google, Yahoo
- Allow the user to search through Google, Bing, DuckDuckGo (and maybe Wolfram Alpha)
- Use Miracast for TV connectivity
- Use a translating engine from a third-party like Google
- Make sure there are competent primary native first party applications such as:
Phone, Messages, Contacts, (again Browser), Camera, Gallery, Voice Recorder, Calculator, Memo, Calendar, Alarm, Clock, Music Player, Video Player.
- Also make sure there are competent secondary native first party applications such as:
Flashlight, Compass, Thermometer, Barcode scanner, Document Scanner, PDF Reader, Comic/eBook Reader (dont judge), Quick Photo/Video editor
- And finally port over the top 100 iOS Apps, top 100 iOS games, top 100 Android Apps, and top 100 Android games.

Then sure.
I mean its not like Jolla is having a problem with this. Or that Blackberry is having a problem with this. Or that even Windows Phone and Windows 8 is having a problem with this. (sarcasm).

But yeah, those are the milestones.
They aren't impossible, its just difficult and a long procedure.
And had Nokia taken the initiative, ditched Symbian to focus on MeeGo, and not whored itself out to Windows.... this would've been long history. I mean they shipped the Nokia N9 in September 2011. They should've launched it way back in mid-2010 and also acquired Palm. But even so, launching it in 2011 by themselves, they could've caught upto Android/iOS in 3-4 years... they would've been broke yes.... but they would've caught up. And they could be sharing a decent marketshare today, slowly making up their investment, and be quite competent. In fact, Windows would probably be in a better shape too since they would've purchased RIM for a dime and strengthen their portfolio.

In fact, the biggest loser here is actually SONY.
They can actually produce processors, displays, and cameras... and own the industry in terms of Music, Videos and Games. The fact that they didn't go the route of MeeGo is their biggest downside and loss.

Originally Posted by From Vertu with Love View Post
Girls, please - you're both pretty.

Kangal - first of all I feel it quite important to state that Siri is not a search engine. Its back-end runs on Bing, IIRC. Also, third party would be absolutely fine for most if not all of those things.
Siri runs on Wolfram Alpha.
Third-party would be fine, its still a task that shouldn't be underestimated. This is the reason why Google produces so little profits, yet is overvalued so highly. They own ecosystems all over the world, all over the industry. If suddenly Google shutdown everything, 70% of the internet would disappear and 80% of phones would become paper-weights.
Thanks, I bleach myself and shower in parfum for you honey.

I'm flattered

Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
This Nokia "remmant" is basically a Patent troll trying to disguise itself. No idea why would anyone pay any attention to it (other than misguided sentimentality).

It's not the same employees, not the same factories, they don't even have access to the older Nokia IP except for a few $$ patents (which are useless for consumer products). And they plan to spin off HERE. So why do even refer to it as "Nokia"?

Siri runs on Wolfram Alpha.
Third-party would be fine, its still a task that shouldn't be underestimated. This is the reason why Google produces so little profits, yet is overvalued so highly. They own ecosystems all over the world, all over the industry. If suddenly Google shutdown everything, 70% of the internet would disappear and 80% of phones would become paper-weights.
Thanks, I bleach myself and shower in parfum for you honey.
I think we're both right on Siri, it uses both. Either way, Apple owns neither.

And I can see how it's valuable, but definitely not the necessity you stated it to be. Apply takes bigger profits than anyone else in the mobile industry, yet they actually do relatively little themselves compared to Google.

Also, which bleach do you use? I've been using the standard Tesco stuff, but it just seems to make my skin burn and hair fall out in patches :/

Tags
nokia, nokia mobile