yup, my Patriot 8GB card is now toast.

Thanks N800.

Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
Try to reformat in a photocamera as described elsewhere in this forum.

Oh, and report to Nokia and complain about this issue. I don't understand how they aren't responding quickly enough about this...

Which slot was it in? I've been wanting to go all out with 2 8GB SDHC cards but this card eating issue has stopped me. I hope it gets resolved soon.

Thanks, I will try the camera solution although my camera dosnt support HCSD i think.

it was in the external slot, the 8 GB in my internal is still OK....for now..LOL

Gee, how about an explanation as to what you were doing when it went "toast"?
Most people run into problems when they connect to their computer over USB.
I never use USB and only use wi-fi and BT to transfer files and have NEVER had any issues with SDHC cards.

Update,

My camera does support HCSD but....no go i will try some other cameras when i can and keep you guys posted.

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
I'm almost sure that it's being caused by the host OS showing that the transfer is done with it's progress bar... the problem is that it's NOT actually finished. Commits to the memory card take time, more time than Windows and Linux shows that it takes. Be sure to check your activity light on your card slot to be sure that the transfer is done. When in doubt, wait 5 minutes.

Because the transfer's not complete, the card is corrupted. Do this several times while writing to the card and it dies. Plain and simple.

Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
Maybe issuing a 'sync' command before unconnecting usb?

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
If you are running on Linux, you can avoid these problems by mounting the card sync instead of async. Sync is far slower, but does match up to what your progress bars actually say. Async flushes the write faster to the card reader, but then the card reader has to take time to write to the card.

I'm unsure what Windows users can do as I haven't used Windows in over 8 years.