Active Topics

If you have not noticed if you go in redpill mode in your application manager, you will see alot of Ubuntu files. Think they are preping for October release?

Mobile Ubuntu's gonna rock!!!!!! cant wait i didn't see any Ubuntu packages i don't think. you might have a repository that i don't have.

Interesting, says here (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/EmbeddedUbuntu) that the kit for EmbeddedUbuntu is the TI OMAP 5912 Starter Kit which has their C55x DSP on there, the same DSP core the N800 and N770 has. In the wiki the N770 was suggested as a development platform. It looks like the Embedded Ubuntu / Mobile Unbuntu release coincides with the Ubuntu 7.10 release in October. Hopefully Intel's MID platform hasn't sucked all the development away from ARM processor devices.

While this is nice and all, until they have it to the point where all a user has to do is reflash their device with a pre-packaged file or at least a simple "how-to" for those of us dual-booting off MMC/SDHC then as far as I'm concerned it will be dead for anyone other than a tinkerer/developer/hacker.
I hate it when someone comes along and announces something new and awesome only to have a convoluted-as-hell "how-to guide" that requires downloading and compiling tons of source code and patches.
Have they officialyl announced that they will be "officially" supporting the N770/N800 with actual REAL pre-compiled firmware images?
So far all I'm seeing are "suggestions" over there...
October...yeah, um, ok.

Originally Posted by iball View Post
Have they officialyl announced that they will be "officially" supporting the N770/N800 with actual REAL pre-compiled firmware images?
In fact, at least for this release, they are <i>not</i> supporting ARM (or anything else besides x86). Bizarre because as far as I know, the ARM N700 and N800 are the only devices currently shipping mobile tablets.

I would really, really like to see Ubuntu Mobile run on my N800. However, the following is from the Ubuntu Mobile FAQ:

Can I run it on a Nokia N770/N800?

As stated above, our current focus in in x86 processors. Despite should be no big problem port it to run on ARM, the Nokia devices have proprietary parts that we can't have access so the port will be, at the best, incomplete. My take on that is, at least for now, if you have a Nokia N770 or N800, stick with Nokia's software.

Originally Posted by cairn View Post
I would really, really like to see Ubuntu Mobile run on my N800. However, the following is from the Ubuntu Mobile FAQ:
Gee, then I guess my "official" response would be:

Originally Posted by me
Fsck 'em. Fsck 'em and the horse they road in on.
Seriously, out of almost ALL the current Linux-happy portable devices the N770 and N800 internet tablets have to be the MOST hacker-friendly on the planet.
Who the fsck is going to design and build a tablet the size of the current N800 that runs an x86 processor?!?!?
Talk about short-as-hell battery life and heat issues.
My feeling is that they're just prepping themselves for some sort of decent Linux-based UMPC to hit the market in about, oh, 5-10 years from now.