Active Topics

Posts: 323 | Thanked: 118 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Australia
Ok, me being part of a Wireless group, the main focus for me grabbing a n800 was the price, and also the possibility to do easy remote logins with wireless access points (since I don't own a laptop this was a nice option)

Now the wireless access points for example has a hard set BSSID running in Ad-Hoc mode.

EG:

BSSID: 12:34:56:78:9A

when I scan for the wireless node, I can connect to it no worries with a static IP set in the connections manager, the anoying thing is there is no data going accross the interface, I decided to install wireless-tools to have a manual look at the settings: When the device tries to connect to the ad-hoc device it gets the BSSID wrong.

the BSSID it should connect to is 12:34:56:78:9A
but it connects to 13:34:56:78:9A

it seems to just get 1 number or letter wrong.

I can set the wireless router to use this BSSID instead and automagic it works, in the real world I can't physically get hold of these devices to change the BSSID, and it seems to be rather strange that the device only gets one number or letter wrong each time it connects to the device.

So basically what im trying to say is when I connect to to an Ad-hoc device with a set BSSID that doesn't change, the nokia n800 tablet tries to connect but connects to the wrong BSSID making the connection usless.

I'm wondering if anyone else has had similar issues with Linksys WRT54G(L)'s at all, I haven't got another type of device to try this on atm or if its a bug thats been reported before, I haven't really been able to find anything on it.

make much sence ? I hope so

-Rip

I'm using a WRT54G v2.2 with 3rd party firmware (Tomato 1.07) and have had no issues with connecting my N800 to it wirelessly. I use WPA and DHCP, but not in Ad-Hoc mode.

Posts: 696 | Thanked: 1,012 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Asturies, Spain
You could send a bug report: http://bugs.maemo.org

Yes I was thinking of reporting it, but it seems so strange. I've changed the BSSID to another number entirely, and the bug doesn't seem to exist. Only seems to do it with the BSSID of 1C:ED:C0:FF:EE:05

I've tried about 5 different BSSID's now and they all work but the one the network uses, and I'm not going to get much luck getting a network to change its bssid just for me

Cheers
Rip

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Wow... you just brought back an old memory! Partly anyway.

I remember encountering that myself when I first started testing N800s. The problem is, it's been so long that I don't remember all the factors or if I even found a fix.

What firmware version are you running? Regardless, I'd search bugzilla and enter a new bug with rich detail if one is needed.

I'm running the latest stable bora 3.2 firmware, Yeah I'll throw a bug post up, just seems a weird kinda bug not working on a single BSSID, I've searched bugzilla and couldn't find anything similar