Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
I hope the lifespan is improved first...

20,000 hours until it loses half its initial brightness doesn't sound too bad. That's like 10 years of 8 hours a day, 5 days a week. I assume the tablets use cold cathode back lighting which I imagine has a similar lifespan. My 3 year old laptop screen (cold cathode) is definitely not as bright as it was new.

tablets more likely to use white leds.

Originally Posted by yabbas View Post
tablets more likely to use white leds.
yes, current tablets have leds on the side... that's the reason for the "stage lights" effect..

but oled, besides rendering pretier colours, is thinner and consumes a fraction of the power...
so, expect slimmer, higher contrast units, with extended batery time.

Posts: 428 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Washington DC
Nokia is already using OLED displays in some of their phones...maybe its just a matter of time (and money)

Originally Posted by lmf View Post
but oled, besides rendering pretier colours, is thinner and consumes a fraction of the power...
so, expect slimmer, higher contrast units, with extended batery time.
So will we have to choose whether to switch to 'white text on black background' themes for longer battery time?

Is it just me or is that a 770 under 4.1" WQVGA?

Originally Posted by BOFH View Post
Is it just me or is that a 770 under 4.1" WQVGA?
It certainly looks like it. Huh. -J

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
This is way OT, but I guess this thread might attract people who know this, as its related to display technology:

I suffer from epilepsy; the one thing (and, thank god, one of the very few) that triggers seizures is flickering light - like flickering CRT monitors with less than 75Hz. I learned that turning down brightness and going above 80Hz is perfectly safe for me, no problems.

I used to think that LCD-displays didnt flicker at all, until years ago I used my first LCD-device. It was hell. It was actually so bad I couldnt bare looking directly at it.
I still have this effect with cell phones (cheaper ones are much worse) and yes, even with the Nokia 770 if I dont turn brightness to the absolute minimum.

Does any of you know why I get the impression of flickering on an LCD? is it the backlight?

Even more important: Will I always be a second class citizen of the mobile device society? Can future technologies like OLED etc. solve this problem for me, will they be any different? Or is there a certain quality criterion in todays LCDs I could look for to be safe? (I actually do not buy devices I want because of this... The Nokia 6233 for example doesnt let you adjust display brightness, so its out of the question for me.)