Posts: 1 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Milwaukee
Hey all, I live in Milwaukee, WI and I currently am a verizon customer, who will be contract free in about a month and a half. I would really like to know of anyone who has had any luck finding a US wireless provider that has an unlocked phone that will work with my N800, enabling me to use it for internet when I am out of WiFi range...

any suggestions?

Thanks.

-ryan

Any phone that has Bluetooth and has a DUN (Dial Up Networking) profile should work. I tether a Samsung SYNC through AT&T because it has 3G (HSDPA) internet access. Search the forums for "tethering" and there should be several threads.

Originally Posted by uforiax View Post
Hey all, I live in Milwaukee, WI and I currently am a verizon customer, who will be contract free in about a month and a half. I would really like to know of anyone who has had any luck finding a US wireless provider that has an unlocked phone that will work with my N800, enabling me to use it for internet when I am out of WiFi range...

any suggestions?

Thanks.

-ryan
Locked or unlocked, it shouldn't matter. Any carrier should work. Just review the phone you want to use and the carrier. I use a RAZR V3xx with the lastest 3g and use at&t (cingular). at&t is not the cheapest but I get reception at most places I visit.

Posts: 229 | Thanked: 108 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Sacramento, California
I personally paired my N800 with my Samsung T619 to connect to GPRS/EDGE provided by T-Mobile. It's slow as a dang dial-up modem but at least I'm mobile and can check emails/company service website.

T-Mobile charges $30 a month to have the T-Mobile HotSpots (Starbucks) and EDGE/GPRS unlimited data plan on top of your regular phone plan. Also, it's correct that you do not have to have an unlocked phone.

Bandwidth meters tell me that I get anywhere from 40Kbps up to 220Kbps downstream. Upstream is around 20-50Kbps. (Used www.surewest.com) and selected "Test Speed" at the top for this. What is everyone else getting as maybe that will help uforiax make an informed decision.

Posts: 225 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ some where on earth
Originally Posted by uforiax View Post

any suggestions?

Thanks.

-ryan
dude just buy a nokia phone you can't go wrong

Posts: 459 | Thanked: 669 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ The DMV
Originally Posted by Munk View Post

T-Mobile charges $30 a month to have the T-Mobile HotSpots (Starbucks) and EDGE/GPRS unlimited data plan on top of your regular phone plan. Also, it's correct that you do not have to have an unlocked phone.

Bandwidth meters tell me that I get anywhere from 40Kbps up to 220Kbps downstream. Upstream is around 20-50Kbps. (Used www.surewest.com) and selected "Test Speed" at the top for this. What is everyone else getting as maybe that will help uforiax make an informed decision.
T-Mobile rolled back the price of their "Total Internet" plan to $20. So, I would say that plan is a viable option for people who don't need 3G or want to tether only occasionally. For existing customers on "Total Internet", I would suggest getting your rate changed ASAP, as T-Mobile won't switch you over automatically.

As for performance, I'm getting about the same kbps rates as you--but it varies widely depending on location.

Last edited by klinglerware; 2007-10-26 at 16:44.

I have tested my N800 with Sprint PPC-6700 and it is fast!! Verizon sells XV6700 which is a verizon version of the same phone. Search other website forums to see if it can be done with the verizon phone. It is an old model so you should be able to find it cheap used on craigslist or ebay.

Originally Posted by klinglerware View Post
T-Mobile rolled back the price of their "Total Internet" plan to $20. So, I would say that plan is a viable option for people who don't need 3G or want to tether only occasionally. For existing customers on "Total Internet", I would suggest getting your rate changed ASAP, as T-Mobile won't switch you over automatically.

As for performance, I'm getting about the same kbps rates as you--but it varies widely depending on location.
Heck! Even get T-Zones for $4.99 a month! Unlimited internet at a cheap price --- though, it is only slightly faster than 56k.

As for me, I use a Nokia 6680. No problems pairing it with my N800 or my laptop.