Posts: 1,702 | Thanked: 4,752 times | Joined on Apr 2018 @ Helsinki, Finland.
I found from my work place a Compaq Armada 1700 laptop. I updated the ram to max 160Mb and installed 120Gb IDE HD. Had to use win98 boot disk to get the cdrom drivers installed through dos with floppy disks.

Tried first time a linux distro new to me: EliveOs. The recent version 3.0.3 is 3Gb img so had to stick to old one, 2.0 Topaz based on debian Lenny. Very nice distro with a wow efect how it makes your old computer feel but I only got 800x600 resolution even though the laptop supports 1024x768 in 16bit mode.

So far have tried xrandr --newmode "newname" tricks, tried boot cheat codes 791 and the xres=1024*768 and screen=1024x768. Also edited the xorg.conf with Depth 16 and subconfigures but I only get it to work before I get to desktop when I boot. Desktop changes it to 800x600. I checked the X file and interpreted what I found that display/monitor is not recognized.

The hd does not have the hidden bios partition but I found from internet instructions to install debian 3 on this laptop. There was a link to bios setup utility for floppy disk but the link was dead and Compaqs support page had nothing. After searching I managed to find the file from the net and downloaded it. But it had to be installed in dos and win7 could not run the .exe on dos even with win95 mode and graphich corrections set on. I could run the .exe on Dosbox but I could not figure out how to mount the A: drive on it to make needed install on floppy.

Then I remembered I have one Toshiba with 96Mb ram and win98se on it just for coding with basic and it has also floppy drive. For some reason it did not recognize my usb stick so I had to first copy with win7 the installation file to external usb floppy drive, then from floppy to win98 machine, format the disk and install from dos the bios setup utility. It took like hours to finally got to the poit where I get to bios setup. And when I got it going - there was nothing about resolution or display or fullscreen mode or anything.

So I haven't got the resolution right - but that doesn't really matter. Why? Because the audio works, and it REALLY WORKS! There are two speakers in the front of the keyboard right behind the front panel. There are these normal small holes facing up to give sound. But - there are reflex holes on both sides and the sound is just AWESOME! It takes you in, surrounds you and amazes you.

I first thought that do those wholes really works at all? I got my answer when tried to install the EliveOs 3.0.3 on it (using ploplinux bios extender cd to be able to boot the machine from usb stick where the 3Gb img fitted). I watched a movie and the installation process was going on right next to me (installation of EliveOs 2 takes with this machine all together about 5-6hours. I've done it now four times on this machine.) Suddenly the screen went to light grey squares and there came crazy loud fog horn sound from the laptop. I grabbed it from both sides to lift it cause I thought it is gonna explode but got it loose cause the air was blowing out from both sides like there would have been aircompressor inside on work. But it was the speakers and the air blew to like 10cm distance from the machine. Got it o the video the sound.

But yes. If you ever come around one like this for free make it play music. I have alsamixer and streamtuner on it as well as dosbox and some other emulator (all preinstalled to Elive) and it really deserved to be saved.

I got for free also Compaq Contura. It has at the moment only 8Mb ram but it has maximum of 32. I'm trying to hunt the right modules to get it filled and then probably try to get it too to internet and on use. Very nice ballmouse on the front. After that MikroMikko6 with 4Mb ram but with maximum of 12Mb and there are games and thought of keeping it as a black screen dosbox machine. And then Toshiba T1000 which is in parts as I got it, with blue screen and not sure if it will ever work, with only 2Mb ram if I remember right. N900 will rest for a while but i got something in mind to try with it.

Master of not knowing (active)

For me it is possible to get lost in any case (active)

Learning to fall from high (DONE)

Learning to code with BASIC (WIP)

Last edited by Maemish; 2019-04-03 at 14:54.