I'm behind the ball but can a n800 even read a 8gb? I even tried my 4gb and it wouldn't read the internal / external at all. That is after the latest firmware. Kingston card but I don't know what class it is.

Posts: 147 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Washington State
Originally Posted by THX1138 View Post
It's down to $52.99-$15MIR=$37.99. To qualify for the rebate you need to buy it before midnight tomorrow. I just ordered my 2 and now I'm just waiting for OS2008 to be released
Why are you waiting? I've been using dual 8GB cards from the moment I got my N800, about 2 months ago, with no problem, even with the release prior to the current one.

Just out of curiosity, has anyone tried a 16G SDHC card with a N800? They are available here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...ory-_-20220254 I am using 1 8G right now with my N800, just ordered a 2nd. I had a a little trouble at first, the key seems to make sure you format the card with the N800.

Originally Posted by frasej View Post
Why are you waiting? I've been using dual 8GB cards from the moment I got my N800, about 2 months ago, with no problem, even with the release prior to the current one.
Well since it seems likely that OS2008's release is just around the corner and that I've been fine with two 1GB SD cards since I bought my N800 9 months ago I might as well wait another couple weeks. I don't particularly feel like flashing my N800, applying the SDHC fix, applying the 48mhz hi-speed SDHC patch, installing all my repos and apps, cloning my filesystem to SDHC and then having to do it all over again when OS2008 comes out. Who knows though, I might not be able to resist the temptation when the cards arrive.

Posts: 64 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ North Carolina
Originally Posted by THX1138 View Post
Well since it seems likely that OS2008's release is just around the corner and that I've been fine with two 1GB SD cards since I bought my N800 9 months ago I might as well wait another couple weeks. I don't particularly feel like flashing my N800, applying the SDHC fix, applying the 48mhz hi-speed SDHC patch, installing all my repos and apps, cloning my filesystem to SDHC and then having to do it all over again when OS2008 comes out. Who knows though, I might not be able to resist the temptation when the cards arrive.
What is the 48mhz patch? I installed the latest firmware on mine and have had no issues from the 2 8Gb cards i have in my N800. I am using class 6 cards and speed seams fine for movies and usb transfer from my pc.

Dave

Originally Posted by I_Dont_Know View Post
What is the 48mhz patch? I installed the latest firmware on mine and have had no issues from the 2 8Gb cards i have in my N800. I am using class 6 cards and speed seams fine for movies and usb transfer from my pc.

Dave
Nokia's firmware officially supports a 24mhz bus for SDHC cards. Philip Langdale created a patch that clocks the bus to 48mhz to utilize the full potential of high speed SDHC cards. Nokia and TI said the reason they didn't clock the bus to 48mhz is because they saw issues with it implemented. I don't know what the issues were, but it seems like plenty of people here have used the patch without issues. The read speed for the cards almost doubles with the patch. You can see some speed tests here. Some more info about the patch and a link to download are here. I'm planning to boot from my SDHC card and hope to see improvements in boot times and overall system performance. Search the forums for "48mhz" if you want to read more threads about it.

Last edited by THX1138; 2007-11-01 at 01:03.