Notices

Posts: 1,107 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Germany
Testing build of the FreeSCI Sierra Adventure Game Interpreter is available for... well testing.

On 770 / IT2007HE I get very choppy performance and sound during heavy animation, but very good playability and sound during the game.

This is a much improved version (current Darcs checkout) of the FreeSCI interpreter. For the earliest Sierra games, ScummVM is definitely better, but this one handles later SCI games up to Space Quest 3 at least.

Testing, comments, suggestions for improvements in this thread, please.

http://pupnik.de/freesci.html

Sorry I'm a Linux n00b and can't figure out how to install this. I untarred it but I don't see a README or INSTALL file as your homepage says to look at. Can you give me some instructions on how to get this working. Thanks

Trying to work out the sound performance problems with the developers and integrate a working keyboard (not working in fullscreen yet).

Are you on a N800?

I am also a Linux newbie. Please someone tell me how to install this, as I can't find a repository or a deb package.

I have a 770.

I can also not see any README or ISTALL. There isn't any maemo build on the project page and I really want this!!! I love SCI games!

I have been using a Freedom mini keyboard with ScummVM and it works great for AGI games.

Thanks for your help

The way to run the software is basically to unpack the tar ball (tar xvzf freesci_maemo_armel.tgz), and then executing the freesci executable. Check out the command line options with ./freesci -help, or run a game with ./freesci -d <gamedir>. You'll need an X terminal. Personally, I also copied the freesci over to /usr/bin so that it's in my path.

I tried running FreeSCI on my Nokia 770 2006 SE, and found that it seems to work great if you don't use sound (-q on the command line). With sound, there is some stuttering. All in all, very promising!

I played Leisure Suit Larry 3 for awhile, and things seemed to be running smoothly (without sound). I ran into a hickup when I tried to restore a game, though. Choosing the "restore game" option from the SCI menus and picking a save causes a crash. I can see the score indicator being updated just before crashing. After trying saving in different rooms, I found that one save out of four worked (inside the lobby of Fat City).

I also tried running FreeSCI, entering the debugger with ctrl-~ and doing a "restore_game save_6" and that gave me a segfault. Running with the gamesave on the command line, like "freesci <gamedir> LSL3 save_6" gives me an error saying it's not possible to use quick restore before VM initialization is complete. Any ideas?

Too bad about this problem, otherwise the whole thing seems to be working pretty flawlessly - I was pleasantly surprised to see how well you can run the old Sierra adventures on the tablet.

Last edited by eonman; 2007-08-15 at 05:43.

"I can see the score indicator being updated just before crashing. After trying saving in different rooms, I found that one save out of four worked (inside the lobby of Fat City)."
Thanks for the feedback! Thanks for reporting that clue re: score indicator - that is how to report problems!

Unfortunately the freesci bugzilla is broken so I can't search it. I've reported the problem and hope for some feedback today.

Can you duplicate the problem on another game?

IŽll have to look for my old Sierra games to copy more resource files onto the tablet, but I havenŽt had the chance to do that yet.

I did, however, spot this in the FreeSCI output: every time I restore a game (even if it works), this is printed:
Attempt to set invalid attribute of menu 4, item 1: 0x001a

Then, in the cases where it crashes, this is the last output:
klists.c, L86: Attempt to use non-list 0000:0000 as list
acc=0003:0100 prev=0000:ffff &rest=0
pc=0003:00ef obj=0003:0100 fp=ST:0004 sp=ST:0006
Step #2184655
00ef: 43 12 02 callk AddToPic[12] 02
Kernel params: (0000:0000)

I hope this could maybe provide some clue (at least to the developers) as to what is going on inside the game engine.

Originally Posted by eonman View Post
I hope this could maybe provide some clue (at least to the developers) as to what is going on inside the game engine.
Thanks again, your feedback has been forwarded to the developers.

As a 'reward', I have spent the evening tweaking (with hours of kind help from waltervn, creichen and lskovlun) and can release a new freesci binary with stable adlib sound.!

These games are sooo much nicer with good sound.

I'd be curious to hear if it works for the n800 users.If you get no sound, try setting sound_server = unix in the ~/.freesci/config

cheers!

Last edited by ArnimS; 2007-08-16 at 00:55.

Is the keyboard app built-in to this one or linked to it so it's called automagically?

Originally Posted by iball View Post
Is the keyboard app built-in to this one or linked to it so it's called automagically?
Nah, you can write a shell script to start the keyboard in the background with the one-line config file, then start freesci if you want.

Please test - primarily with SCI0 and SCI01 games - not SCI1 games.

We're looking for crashes and hang reports - specifically using save/restore (F6/F7) in various games.

I'm also interested in hearing from people who find interesting configuration tweaks - right now transitions from room-to-room are fairly slow, as are the heavier animation sequences.

Since most animations don't redraw the whole screen, and the game uses an efficient 'dirty rectangle' screen update algorithm, using XSP doubling is not going to buy much in the way of speed increases.

I find performance to be perfectly adequate, but it is odd that the game never uses more than 50% cpu, yet can't update animations very quicly. Again, if you want to help, get it and do some testing.