Posts: 5 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Auburn, IL
I just got my new 800 the other day and plan on using it when I travel. I read the manual and can navigate around fairly well, can send and receive my email, but have never used a linux product and want to learn more. I've read quite a few threads on this site and they've been helpful but I also know there are some questions I can't ask in a public forum, i.e. locked access and WEP codes, etc.

Would someone recommend some sites I could read for the 800 that are easy to understand? (hence the blonde part!) Are there any programs I should download? And lastly, for some reason I cannot get web access via my cellphone.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated!!

Posts: 242 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ USA & BharatVarsh ( INDIA - Kerala ).
Originally Posted by onecent View Post
I just got my new 800 the other day and plan on using it when I travel. I read the manual and can navigate around fairly well, can send and receive my email, but have never used a linux product and want to learn more. I've read quite a few threads on this site and they've been helpful but I also know there are some questions I can't ask in a public forum, i.e. locked access and WEP codes, etc.

Would someone recommend some sites I could read for the 800 that are easy to understand? (hence the blonde part!) Are there any programs I should download? And lastly, for some reason I cannot get web access via my cellphone.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated!!

The web access (via a Bluetooth phone) that you are talking about works only if your Service Provider allows phone tethering. You may / will also need to have a subscription to some kind of data plan from your Service Provider.

Anyways you will have to pair your phone to the Nokia IT. Once this done, depending on the kind of phone you have, you might find lots of information on this website as how to go about configuring the dialing and other such aspects of it.

Posts: 5 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Auburn, IL
Thanks for replying Arjun. I do have a data plan with Cingular but don't like to use my cellphone for the web because it's so slow. I'll check with them to see what I need to do.

(euchreprof) Much better way to approach this...

Cingular has UMTS service which will get you some really good speeds; faster than my T-Mobile EDGE. BTW: EDGE is fast enough for me to stream from Rhapsody with few breakups so I am sure UMTS will be more than good.

Originally Posted by dandrep View Post

Cingular has UMTS service which will get you some really good speeds; faster than my T-Mobile EDGE. BTW: EDGE is fast enough for me to stream from Rhapsody with few breakups so I am sure UMTS will be more than good.

Can you explain more about UMTS? I have a nokia 6682 that I (though tethering) use to access the internet with my n800. Is UMTS an additional service? Can my phone support it?

Cingular's UTMS/HSDPA/3G service is indeed very fast (~900kbps down/~350kbps up with full signal) but it is limited to major metropolitan areas right now. When you're out of 3G service area you get their EDGE service which for me has been in 100-150kbps down range. Not blazing fast, but fast enough in a pinch when I need to look something up. You can check for 3G coverage here:

http://www.cingular.com/coverageviewer/popUp_3g.html

Also, depending on what data plan you have tethering may be against Cingular's TOS. I'm tethering with an unqualified plan myself, but I'm trying to stay below their bandwidth usage radar. Do a search on howardforums.com for more info about tethering.

PS: Your phone needs to support 3G to use the service. Unfortunately, the Nokia 6682 does not have 3G capabilities.

Last edited by THX1138; 2007-05-03 at 00:32.

Originally Posted by dandrep View Post

Read the guys original statement... he asked 2 things INDIRECTLY... how to get internet through his phone and how to crack Wifi... one was answered and one was ignored. (AND HE ASKED NICELY!!) But guess what I am getting the help I wanted as we speak. My method = only way to crack Wifi in 1 day. This guy will have to read read read and puszyfoot around here for 1 year to get what I am getting now in 1 day.

Last edited by euchreprof; 2007-05-03 at 00:39.

Originally Posted by euchreprof View Post
Read the guys original statement... he asked 2 things INDIRECTLY... how to get internet through his phone and how to crack Wifi... one was answered and one was ignored. (AND HE ASKED NICELY!!) But guess what I am getting the help I wanted as we speak. My method = only way to crack Wifi in 1 day. This guy will have to read read read and puszyfoot around here for 1 year to get what I am getting now in 1 day.
Good for you.

euchreprof, what are you getting exactly in 1 day? You want a magic command that will crack WEP protected networks. Sorry, there is no such thing. The commands you need to crack WEP involve variables from the access point you are attacking. Since none of us are there with you to see what those variables are we can't give you a command that will work. If you spent 15 minutes looking at the tutorials that are online and on the aircrack-ng site you could figure out what you need to do. Instead you ***** about how no one is helping you... Boo hoo, poor euchreprof is too stupid to read the instructions. 20 years of Windows experience and I bet you never used regedit...

Originally Posted by THX1138 View Post
euchreprof, what are you getting exactly in 1 day? You want a magic command that will crack WEP protected networks. Sorry, there is no such thing. The commands you need to crack WEP involve variables from the access point you are attacking. Since none of us are there with you to see what those variables are we can't give you a command that will work. If you spent 15 minutes looking at the tutorials that are online and on the aircrack-ng site you could figure out what you need to do. Instead you ***** about how no one is helping you... Boo hoo, poor euchreprof is too stupid to read the instructions. 20 years of Windows experience and I bet you never used regedit...

I looked in "My Documents" for 20 years trying to find that file but I could never find it!