Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
Originally Posted by tanago View Post
After my 2 N900s had their USBs failed I will move to Jolla. Thats what I'm concerned about my future phone - hardware quality not hardware specifications. Hoping that it will not have such mass defects as N900's USB ports.
Yeah that's another issue. N900 is the shortest-lived PDA device i've owned over the last 13 years. My Zaurus SL-C860 lasted 5 years and if i hadn't spilled water on it in the lab and ruined a couple keys, i wouldn't have gotten the N900. I've gone through almost two N900s in less than four years. One has a completely dead backlight and USB port and the other has a very touchy USB port now and also has backlight problems when the humidity is high. Less than two years operational life for a device that cost around $600 new is too high in my book.

There's a good chance this MT4GS won't last two years for me, but i bought it used for about 10% what i paid for the N900 and it's already two years old...

Unofficial PR1.3/Meego 1.1 FAQ

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?
MAME: an arcade in your pocket
Accelemymote: make your accelerometer more joy-ful

The Following User Says Thank You to Flandry For This Useful Post:
Posts: 114 | Thanked: 61 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ Beijing, China
Originally Posted by Flandry View Post
Hmm i've been thinking that i miss the precise resistive screen. I'm still not sure what people dislike about it but i definitely don't like not being able to use my nail and/or stylus for more accuracy.
Hate resistive because:
1) most resistive screens takes strength to make them respond (N900 is no different)
2) no multi-touch
3) operation involves pen or fingernail, which feels rough and quickly wears out the screen with scratches
4) not durable - if you use it extensively, parts of the screen surface will sink due to pressure, making the system recognize the area as an always-pressing "finger", thus rendering the phone unusable. This has happened to my N900 twice, and replacing the touch panel is the only way out.

Precision is more needed in 4" or smaller screens (I also hate clicking the wrong link on my 4" devices), but as today's stupid trend leads us to unwieldy big smartphones (sigh), precision definitely is going out of sight. Besides, Samsung solves this with their S-Pen

Time to move on. If you can't afford an N950, and don't know how/where to fetch a Jolla, then head for Android reluctantly, or you're stuck. Seriously.

The Following User Says Thank You to AndyYan For This Useful Post:
It's a matter of preference then. I'd rather have to apply pressure to register an input.

BTW I've not ever had a resistive display fail that way.

I've posted a bit about trying to reproduce the functionality of the N900 with the MT4GS starting here in a thread in xda-developers.

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?

Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
Originally Posted by AndyYan View Post
1) most resistive screens takes strength to make them respond (N900 is no different)
[snip]
4) not durable - if you use it extensively, parts of the screen surface will sink due to pressure, making the system recognize the area as an always-pressing "finger", thus rendering the phone unusable. This has happened to my N900 twice, and replacing the touch panel is the only way out.
I think your perception/use as per point 1 is the direct cause of point 4.

While the N900's resistive screen certainly takes some force beyond just 'touch' (which I personally always liked, I want to be able to make contact with the screen surface without the screen thinking I want it to do something, but I can understand why it can get annoying for others), I would never describe it as requiring any substantial strength or force or whatever.

When using the N900, I never even notice that I'm actually pushing into the screen at all, unless I consciously think about it (such as when people used to capacitive screens are trying to use N900s' touch screens).

I've had three N900s since summer 2010, which puts me at about 3 N900s / 4 years. An annoyingly short lifespan. The problems that ultimately made me get new ones were the telephony disabled errors, but I continue to use them in secondary capacities and in my usecases, I've never worn out a screen the way you describe. *Shrug*

Last edited by Mentalist Traceur; 2013-10-05 at 23:04. Reason: I f'ed up the quote BB tag

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Originally Posted by Mentalist Traceur View Post
When using the N900, I never even notice that I'm actually pushing into the screen at all, unless I consciously think about it (such as when people used to capacitive screens are trying to use N900s' touch screens).
Exactly!
Okay, now as I am using also N9 capacitive, I do like the resisitive way even more.

I've had three N900s since summer 2010, which puts me at about 3 N900s / 4 years. An annoyingly short lifespan. The problems that ultimately made me get new ones were the telephony disabled errors, but I continue to use them in secondary capacities and in my usecases, I've never worn out a screen the way you describe. *Shrug*
I am having mine (first one, daily usage as mail/web device) since autumn 2010 (over 3 yrs) and my screen reacts like on the first day.

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 535 | Thanked: 598 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Republic of the Philippines
maybe AndyYan got a refurb unit with a poor quality digitizer?

Okay, after using this phone camera for awhile, what really drives me bonkers about the camera in the MT4GS is that it doesn't have a cover like the N900 did. The lens ends up covered with skin oil/lint/whatever every time i want to use it and the photos end up all hazy.

I'm still impressed with the performance of the camera (especially in low light) and its improved responsiveness over the N900's, but wow is it annoying having the lens sticking out like a sore thumb.

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by Flandry View Post
I've not ever had a resistive display fail that way.
I've had a resistive screen failed once (not N900). It registered the touch about 2 cm to the left of the actual point. Annoying on the "enter SIM card PIN" screen: the PIN could be entered with the HW keyboard but after that you had to tap "OK" on the screen. The "Emergency call" button was 2 cm to the left

That device was 6 or 7 years old at the time. I replaced the screen and used it for 2 more years until replaced with the N900. It still works fine but I don't use it any more.

Posts: 40 | Thanked: 48 times | Joined on Jul 2013 @ Pondokgede, Indonesia
i don't plan to be a 'former' user, but to me there's still no match for n900's benefit.. just still hoping that n900 still got a lot of devs to keep up with the crossplatform social apps.

or perhaps some company / people made new phone with same function & quality, more power of course.

The Following User Says Thank You to ndhikaa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by ndhikaa View Post
perhaps some company / people made new phone with same function & quality, more power of course.
Yeah, that wuld be nice

Tags
nokia n900, successor