hey, ive never used backtrack before n im curious..what is it?

Posts: 305 | Thanked: 71 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ 'Nam
Originally Posted by mangal_sk8erboy View Post
hey, ive never used backtrack before n im curious..what is it?
Go to the first post and click the backtrack link and read up on it on the site. I would say thats your best bet.

Posts: 17 | Thanked: 182 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Seattle - neopwn.com
Video teasers #1 & #2

Mac address changer module from BT UI:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ht4WDho1UWY

Packet Injection with Aireplay-NG
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXfGGOa-skA

Both on homepage: http://mobile.backtrack-linux.org/

ph33r!!!

The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to neopwn For This Useful Post:
Posts: 50 | Thanked: 45 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ France
nice.
No more teasing, please release it. I will very happy to try it.

Originally Posted by mymybib View Post
nice.
No more teasing, please release it. I will very happy to try it.
You do realize that "trying it" involves flashing a completely new operating system (not just a slightly improved kernel like kernel-power) on your N900 ? (At least it very much looks like so based on quickish reading of the site).

Also: Do not mess around with stuff you don't fully understand without taking appropriate safety precautions (like making damn sure you're not accidentally going to leak attack packets outside your test network [which can be "a bit hard" when we're talking about wireless tehcnologies: there is a reason why F-Secure has a fully RF isolated test lab for mobile malware research]).

Last edited by rambo; 2010-07-07 at 20:11. Reason: mistaken conclusion from too quick reading

The Following User Says Thank You to rambo For This Useful Post:
Thus far, it's a chroot enviro. So it runs concurrently with Maemo 5 just fine.

Last edited by hawaii; 2010-07-07 at 20:52.

Originally Posted by rambo View Post
You do realize that "trying it" involves flashing a completely new operating system (not just a slightly improved kernel like kernel-power) on your N900 ? (At least it very much looks like so based on quickish reading of the site).

Also: Do not mess around with stuff you don't fully understand without taking appropriate safety precautions (like making damn sure you're not accidentally going to leak attack packets outside your test network [which can be "a bit hard" when we're talking about wireless tehcnologies: there is a reason why F-Secure has a fully RF isolated test lab for mobile malware research]).
Dual booting, it's pretty easily actually. And we're not giant corporations so who cares.

Posts: 663 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by rambo View Post
like making damn sure you're not accidentally going to leak attack packets outside your test network
Yep, definitely only going to use this for proof of concept hacks on my own 'test' networks, especially with a MAC address modifier - this could cause much confusion!
Nokia are a business and have chosen a path of using the OSS community phenomenon to reduce their overheads specifically after sales support and development. Unlike Apple who do the opposite and make a killing from their Applications store.

Originally Posted by cashclientel View Post
Yep, definitely only going to use this for proof of concept hacks on my own 'test' networks, especially with a MAC address modifier - this could cause much confusion!
if you intend to attack someone then that is between you and them (and possibly the police); but then you better fully understand what you are doing.

if you are just playing around (ie anything less than in full understanding) then it better be an isolated test env.

Script kiddies are just lame and I really don't like the way blackhats' deal with spammers, botherders and other organized crime but thats my personal opionion. I can respect the skills of blackhats (not script kiddies and other wannabes though) but not respect them as people.

Originally Posted by kylepsp View Post
Dual booting, it's pretty easily actually.
hawaii also said it runs from chroot so I was mistaken.

Originally Posted by kylepsp View Post
And we're not giant corporations so who cares.
Size or legality is not the question, the point is that purely from moral standpoint you have obligation to make sure you do not accidentally cause harm to others, not taking precautions is just selfish and lazy (and casts doubt on your skills, maybe you don't do it because you don't know how to ? "lack of resources" is a sorry excuse; if you can't do it properly then don't do it at all [besides making a small faraday cage is cheap]).

Willfull harm to others is covered in my post above (again the legality is less of a concern to me than morality [never confuse the two])

Time for my "classic" martial arts analogies (bear with me, I have trained for over ten years; it's a major part of who I am), paraphrasing my teacher:

There must be no accidental injuries; if you accidentally injure someone then your skills are weak. If you on purpose injure someone then you are an ******* and may need attitude readjustment. But it's better to be an ******* than weak in skill. (seems like censors hit us, can't be hard to figure out a seven letter adjective that starts with "a")

He has also said that you must always know how much pain you are causing (we do plenty of pressure points and painfull locks) and again accidentally causing pain is a sign that you lack skill.