Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 114 | Thanked: 239 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Greece
As the title thread states: Would anybody be interested in a push to convince the mendeley devs to port it to meego/ harmattan in feedback.mendeley.com? Personally, it's the only thing I would dearly miss from the N9's core functionality at launch- I love that program to bits.

Would someone who knows programming care to comment on how difficult it is to port to meego an ubuntu program? The folks at mendeley are VERY busy integrating more functionality at their program, but they have already made numerous linux versions. It would really help our argument if we could convincingly argue that such a port would not be hard. I imagine that the backend would be similar, with only UX changes required, but I it's very possible that I'm wrong. So-anyone interested?

PS. There is a vote to publish the desktop program under GPL. If they did that then we could actually port it ourselves. Maybe it's more realistic to back up that proposal instead?

Last edited by giorgosmit; 2011-09-04 at 10:37.

The Following User Says Thank You to giorgosmit For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,448 | Thanked: 9,523 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Wigan, UK
The desktop version is based on Qt, so that will significantly reduce the workload as far as porting is concerned. I haven't personally tested Qt Widgets on Meego-Harmattan, but I would say that the desktop UI would be unsuitable in any case, so it would need to be rewritten using QML. This in turn would probably require some changes to the backend, to make the necessary properties/data models available to the QML UI.

My website

GitHub

Last edited by marxian; 2011-09-04 at 10:43.

The Following User Says Thank You to marxian For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,048 | Thanked: 979 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ SF Bay Area
I've written QWidget code for Harmattan. It is not finger friendly at all - the capacitive touch screen and small text size makes menu navigation almost impossible.
qgvnotify: Google voice and contacts notifier for diablo and maemo.

If you want to thank me, click the Thanks button.
If you'd like to thank my applications, vote to move them to extras.