Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
rlplot is a nice and simple qt application I had been using in the past, and now it's available in debian arm repos. It is good to make publication-quality graphs, i.e. those without that naive spreadsheet quality that doesn't please to peer reviewers
Attached Images

Originally Posted by Benson View Post
gnome-alsamixer
Works like a charm; of course, that's either booted or chrooted into a JohnX's-beta-3-derived Debian image.

Screenshots here.

So if there's anything I can do to help let me know; you want package listings, config files, or whatever...

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by Benson View Post
Works like a charm; of course, that's either booted or chrooted into a JohnX's-beta-3-derived Debian image.

So if there's anything I can do to help let me know; you want package listings, config files, or whatever...
So what we need from you (or someone) is the difference between JohnX's beta3 and my much more basic chroot. As you saw, I had to install all of the Alsa packages, and copy /usr/share/alsa/* to the chroot, and now a very simple one-slider "alsamixer" works in the terminal... It says:
Card: Alsa-DSP external ctl plugin
Chip: ALSA-DSP plugin Mixer
View: ...
Item: PCM
But none of the graphical ones (there are several) I've tried have worked, they all fail with the same complaint about hw:0 not not existing. Is there some higher-level alsa config files that are used by X apps but not by terminal apps?

EDIT:
Looking at your screenshot, that TSC2301 on the mixer tab is very interesting!

That's the touchscreen controller and audio codec chip (specs)! You need to find out how Alsa knows about that, because it isn't mentioned in the alsa.conf files I've seen... Please do some grepping around for "TSC2301" if you can... Also, tell me what your "alsamixer" says your card & chip are.

Last edited by qole; 2008-07-18 at 23:06.

I have the JohnX beta 3 rootfs and when starting gnome-alsamixer it reports another hardware, namely TLV320AIC33.
Playing with the sliders I get an amazing volume boost, at the point that speakers distort - and I am scared they get broken!
Attached Images

Last edited by debernardis; 2008-07-19 at 05:10.

The Gimp works fine, if you are patient...

Best to keep the image size less than the actual screen resolution, 600x360 or whatever...

It is pretty impressive to have all the tools and plug ins working, distortions and such are fun to screw with the photographed faces of those you loathe.....

dcarter

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by debernardis View Post
I have the JohnX beta 3 rootfs and when starting gnome-alsamixer it reports another hardware, namely TLV320AIC33.
Quite the mystery! I wonder if it is an N800 vs N810 thing? I know debernardis has an N810, and I think Benson, like me, has an N800...

debernardis, could you check "alsamixer" from your Debian terminal? What does it report?

Last edited by qole; 2008-07-19 at 07:37.

Here is my output:

Code:
AlsaMixer v1.0.16 (Press Escape to quit)]
Card: Alsa-DSP external ctl plugin 
Chip: ALSA-DSP plugin Mixer
View: [Playback] Capture  All
Does not seem so helpful uh?

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
N800 has a TSC2301 touchscreen
N810 has a TSC2005 touchscreen

Dunno if this helps but it seems that the display is affecting which mixer shows up (as shown by the N800 having TSC2301 as it's mixer)

Not a lot of difference in the drivers actually between the two.

(I need to set up chroot again. ~lart reflashing)

Is it possible that someone could post the Bootable Debian /etc/X11/xorg.conf file?

I think that might be the key...

EDIT: No, poking around in the bootable Debian tarball, I see there's no such file.

But there IS a directory that I can't figure out the source of:
Code:
/usr/lib/alsa-lib/smixer
I can't find the files in this directory in any Debian package, nor in our standard tablet files. So where do they come from?

EDIT2: I'm currently exploring the following files:
/etc/asound.conf
/etc/asoundrc

Last edited by qole; 2008-07-20 at 09:53.

Originally Posted by qole View Post
I can't find the files in this directory in any Debian package, nor in our standard tablet files. So where do they come from?
This seems part of an alsa-lib package, but not from Debian package repos, but from some rpm - see here.

Tags
debian, deblet, easy debian