Active Topics

Notices

Poll: Does the "generate" button cause the app to crash?
Poll Options
Does the "generate" button cause the app to crash?

Sure:

Xout:
gst-launch-0.10 v4l2src device=/dev/video ! videoscale ! video/x-raw-yuv,width="+width+",height="+height+" ! ffmpegcolorspace ! jpegenc ! tcpserversink host="+host+" port="+port+"

VLC:
gst-launch-0.10 v4l2src device=/dev/video ! ! videoscale ! video/x-raw-yuv,width="+width+",height="+height+" ! dsph264enc ! rtph264pay ! udpsinkhost="+host+" port="+port

Webcam:
gst-launch-0.10 v4l2src device=/dev/video ! videoscale ! video/x-raw-yuv,width="+width+",height="+height+" ! ffmpegcolorspace ! smokeenc ! udpsink host="+host+" port="+port

So for the record:
Xout uses mjpeg codecs and tcp protocols
VLC uses h264 codecs (which is why quality is worse) + UDP
Webcam uses smoke encoding (gstreamer only) + UDP

Though technically you could configure Xout or Webcam to use the same codecs or the same protocols....
(I just didn't because I wasnt sure whether smoke was better than mjpeg...)

===================================
As for receiving:

Xout:
gst-launch-0.10 tcpclientsrc host="+localip+" port="+port+" ! jpegdec ! autovideosink"

Webcam:
gst-launch-0.10 udpsrc port="+port1+" ! smokedec ! ffmpegcolorspace ! v4l2loopback device=/dev/video0

A major advantage using UDP is that you dont have to define which address the signal is coming from, just which port. So maybe that's a starting point right there....

The Following User Says Thank You to tetris11_ For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,378 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Göteborg, Sweden
Originally Posted by tetris11_ View Post
A major advantage using UDP is that you dont have to define which address the signal is coming from, just which port. So maybe that's a starting point right there....
Indeed . Playtime!!! Will see if I get a gap to poke around with phonestream(er) and straight gst-launch.

@tetris11_: here is a thread that suggests an addition to phonestream(er), perhaps? http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=71326

Last edited by handaxe; 2011-03-22 at 19:18.

Ah, you mean adding a filesink? I was actually thinking of doing that today!
*pops collar* great minds.....

Posts: 356 | Thanked: 172 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Canada
Originally Posted by handaxe View Post
@ Bingley Joe: are you on Windows? I ask because the "xout" mode uses tcp (right tetrix_11?) and that might be the one to try. But Windows ... well there are gstreamer binaries one could install but 'nix systems are way easier for this.
No sir -- I'm on OS X... so maybe there's an easy-to-use gstreamer implementation I could get installed? ... 'course then I'd have to know what to do with it (if the key to that question is hidden in the reams of stuff you and tetris have since been going on about, I'm definitely going to need some instructions )

Routers can route internally what appears to be externally addressed traffic. Mine does.
Ahhh maybe that's it. Mine's running Tomato firmware and it sometimes surprises me by doing fancy things like that.

/steps away from the computer to watch the pros get this done

Posts: 46 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on May 2008 @ London
I was having trouble installing this before, I installed the new package from fapman. Works like a charm.

Just wanted to say Thanks

The Following User Says Thank You to *the_newbie* For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Bingley Joe View Post
/steps away from the computer to watch the pros get this done
Famous last words - well for a mo' I thought so. Seems doable but I am still reading. The principles I outlined about the NAT / routers are correct BUT, issues arise with gst-launch and stream negotiation over tcp and the fact that some enc/dec work readily under udp but are trickier under tcp. And then it must work in gst and VLC

So, I persist, tho with a 1.5 and a 6 yr old in the house it can be disruptive. Just a bit.

Anyone know a working sdp for mjpeg with VLC?

^ I have looked at using other encoders other than h264 on VLC, but I was never able to get a working mjpeg soln....

so....no.

Well well, lookee here http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=974950&postcount=1

Good that phonestreamer does more.

Must test it over the WAN as it may well work.... . BTW, I think I know how to do this with gst-launch now...

PS: Smartcam needs the mono libraries. That will be a large install, oh dear.... Beware, the mono libs are from a diablo repo (not bad in itself) but are not optified. Thus 30 mbytes of rootfs will disappear .

Last edited by handaxe; 2011-03-24 at 21:12.

Smartcam does look promising.....
....though gstreamer seems lighter and less resource hogging somehow...

Tell me how the WAN testing goes! Have you managed to stream anything through the internet yet!?

Updated the front page.....

Tags
gstreamer, lets rock, video stream