Posts: 607 | Thanked: 296 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Lorenz_L View Post
Hi guys,
I have a question - as far as I know, there is a special Ubuntu version for netbooks and another one for ARM powered devices. I guess you are talking about the ARM version here, does it have a special interface similar to the netbook remix? How is the speed compared to maemo - if it's still responsive and not lagging too badly, I'm really looking forward to using it!
The whole Ubuntu is being ported to ARM, but i haven't heard of anything that makes this special. Just install package ubuntu-netbook-remix, and you'll get the Easypeasy looking desktop. I tested it once, and yes, it is too laggy and and really slow compared to maemo. I never got it to work correctly anyway. It works, but i wouldn't recommend it.

Hm, I am not 100% sure, but I was of the opinion that there is the netbook remix and there is also a special edition for MIDs:
http://www.ubuntu.com/products/mobile

Optimized for small screens like on the n810 with special interface, but not for our kind of processors. Now that those processors (yes, I forgot the name A-something) are supported too, wouldn't the Ubuntu MID version be a good idea for the n810? Perhaps also less laggy?

Or am I mixing up things here? could easily be, it's hard to keep up with all the stuff happening!

Originally Posted by Lorenz_L View Post
Hm, I am not 100% sure, but I was of the opinion that there is the netbook remix and there is also a special edition for MIDs:
http://www.ubuntu.com/products/mobile

Optimized for small screens like on the n810 with special interface, but not for our kind of processors. Now that those processors (yes, I forgot the name A-something) are supported too, wouldn't the Ubuntu MID version be a good idea for the n810? Perhaps also less laggy?

Or am I mixing up things here? could easily be, it's hard to keep up with all the stuff happening!
Nah, i personally don't like ubuntu-MID, it's like old maemo. (really, it is, modified version of old hildon-desktop) nothing special.

For a good OS with lightweight and finger friendly UI, I would say, wait until Mer 0.11 will be released, (it's a week or something?)

Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
What's Mer?

It's a mix between the maemo OS and Ubuntu (based off of the next release Jaunty). It uses the Hildon interface

I'm frankly confused with the amount of various Ubuntu ports going on here. o.O

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Originally Posted by johnkzin View Post
What's Mer?
http://wiki.maemo.org/Mer

I fully agree, it is hard to keep track.
In your opinion, what is the one project that has the most promising future? Will it be possible to get a lag-free Ubuntu derivate on the n810?

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Regarding "lag free": It's not the distro (Ubuntu or Debian) that's laggy, its the desktop environment. I suggest LXDE as your desktop if you want lag free. It is an adequate desktop, responsive on the tablet, but without the screenshot-worthy bells and whistles of Gnome. You can install LXDE on any of the bootable alternatives right now.

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by qole View Post
Regarding "lag free": It's not the distro (Ubuntu or Debian) that's laggy, its the desktop environment. I suggest LXDE as your desktop if you want lag free. It is an adequate desktop, responsive on the tablet, but without the screenshot-worthy bells and whistles of Gnome. You can install LXDE on any of the bootable alternatives right now.
Is it optimized for finger or for stylus? AFAIK stylus, right? This is important to note for users, and important to keep this in mind regarding DE preference. Although user asked for performance.

Posts: 53 | Thanked: 48 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Montreal, Canada
Originally Posted by allnameswereout View Post
Is it optimized for finger or for stylus? AFAIK stylus, right? This is important to note for users, and important to keep this in mind regarding DE preference. Although user asked for performance.
It is for stylus but you can install lxlauncher and make it more finger friendly.

http://www.lxde.org/lxlauncher

Tags
nokia n8x0, ubuntu