Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
Ubuntu is still difficult to use with pure touchscreen. So the lenovo S10-3t is still the best choice for me, with android x86 for touch friendly surfing and ubuntu for the real work. A bit heavy though and battery not-so-awesome, especially as ICSx86 can't yet sleep on that device (or couldn't, havent checked recently)

And a price that beats both those tabs

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

The Following User Says Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
Posts: 470 | Thanked: 399 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ Croatia
look if you dont have the sense that for this price tag in 2012. a 7$ arm soc is not enough and that for a 350+$(more like 500$ for the rest of the world outside US) gnu/linux device x86 is the best choice at this time than i dont see a point of discussing this
sane people use the same device for a couple of years, this thing is for someone that will buy anything and will change it after a few months because no one will give a **** about this device 2 months after its release...

Originally Posted by qwazix View Post
Ubuntu is still difficult to use with pure touchscreen. So the lenovo S10-3t is still the best choice for me, with android x86 for touch friendly surfing and ubuntu for the real work. A bit heavy though and battery not-so-awesome, especially as ICSx86 can't yet sleep on that device (or couldn't, havent checked recently)

And a price that beats both those tabs
agreed
and "my" tablet was just a quick example that there are(many) x86 tablets in this price tag and not something carefully chosen

Originally Posted by GrimyHR View Post
look if you dont have the sense that for this price tag in 2012. a 7$ arm soc is not enough and that for a 350+$(more like 500$ for the rest of the world outside US) gnu/linux device x86 is the best choice at this time than i dont see a point of discussing this
sane people use the same device for a couple of years, this thing is for someone that will buy anything and will change it after a few months because no one will give a **** about this device 2 months after its release...
isn't this essentially running Ubuntu for ARM. so would support for Ubuntu mean this tablet is supported for a long time to come?

I agree this is overpriced though.

Originally Posted by Cue View Post
isn't this essentially running Ubuntu for ARM. so would support for Ubuntu mean this tablet is supported for a long time to come?

I agree this is overpriced though.
with probably some aditional code without which this tablet probably wouldnt run ubunt and which isnt in the official ubuntu arm port

Just found out it has a 9" IPS screen. The price isn't that bad actually considering the Viewpad 10e which has similar specs (but runs gingerbread and no Ubuntu) goes for $400.

Originally Posted by Cue View Post
Just found out it has a 9" IPS screen. The price isn't that bad actually considering the Viewpad 10e which has similar specs (but runs gingerbread and no Ubuntu) goes for $400.
price is horrible
here you have 12" ips with much better specs for the same price:
http://www.pandawill.com/joojoo-tab-...ld-p49341.html

How many people here have actually used Ubuntu or Windows 7 on a tablet?

I have (I have an HP Touchsmart 1025dx), and let me tell you something. Both of them suck, but Gnome shell is somewhat useful.

Never have been able to get the multi-touch to work under Linux, and under Windows nothing but their few stupid apps use it. And who really wants that monstrosity of Windows 8 on anything...

The ZaTab looks cool for one reason, and one reason only. It uses Cyanogenmod 9 by default. This WILL be updated constantly (there are even nightly builds for it! The fact that it has an open boot loader and is rooted by default doesn't hurt either.

Eventually Gnome-Shell will be very much like Maemo / MeeGo and will work fantastically on a tablet. And since the majority of software for Linux is open source, it usually just takes a recompile to work with ARM.

By the way, even Wine is working on an ARM version (for those Windows Mobile programs) and you can emulate x86 via qemu, though it's currently pretty slow.

slaapliedje

Originally Posted by slaapliedje View Post
How many people here have actually used Ubuntu or Windows 7 on a tablet?

I have (I have an HP Touchsmart 1025dx), and let me tell you something. Both of them suck, but Gnome shell is somewhat useful.

Never have been able to get the multi-touch to work under Linux, and under Windows nothing but their few stupid apps use it. And who really wants that monstrosity of Windows 8 on anything...

The ZaTab looks cool for one reason, and one reason only. It uses Cyanogenmod 9 by default. This WILL be updated constantly (there are even nightly builds for it! The fact that it has an open boot loader and is rooted by default doesn't hurt either.

Eventually Gnome-Shell will be very much like Maemo / MeeGo and will work fantastically on a tablet. And since the majority of software for Linux is open source, it usually just takes a recompile to work with ARM.

By the way, even Wine is working on an ARM version (for those Windows Mobile programs) and you can emulate x86 via qemu, though it's currently pretty slow.

slaapliedje
im not interested in android at all, especially on a device this large
and i know wine is working on arm, but it is useless as pretty slow is an understatement of the year

I wasn't terribly interested in Android either, for the very reason that it doesn't always get updated, and I don't think of it as being anywhere near 'real' Linux. Maybe if they started using X11 on it, along with Qt and Gtk+, then I would consider it a viable option.

The thing is, the current setup of Desktop operating systems are not very usable in a touch screen environment. Gnome-Shell is probably the best one so far (it could be argued that it looks like they designed it more for a touch interface than they did for a standard desktop.) I don't see anyone but them hitting that happy medium of usefulness and usability anytime soon.

But there is still a long way to go before you can just run desktop style applications on a tablet. Namely because the UI design needs to be so much different. So even if you get a x86 tablet that you can then run Wine on, it won't do you much good because without a keyboard and mouse, it'll be difficult to use a lot of software. In which case, it's no longer a tablet!

slaapliedje