You don't have to spend $30 with Apple to fix this. Just get a really fat elastic band and wrap it around the edge of the iPhone 4 and then super-glue it in place. The elastic band will also help protect the exposed edges of 'unbreakable glass' from getting chipped when the phone falls out of your handbag onto the floor at the gym.

Posts: 337 | Thanked: 283 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ NYC
Originally Posted by pagesix1536 View Post
Doesn't matter. Regardless of these dumb stories that come out, there's no denying that the iPhone has far more success and will still be a more popular phone. I love my N900, but I wouldn't mind having an iPhone4 if I could get one.
Someone said that iSheep will be buying the next iPhone even if it couldn't make a phone call -- guess he was right:

http://www.slashgear.com/apples-late...#comment-64337

Apple's design decisions have often been lacking in functionality (think of all the horrible mice, the proprietary connectors, the oversimplification of UI). With all the flaws in the iPhone 4 they have taken the "form before function" idiocy to the extreme. But they will still sell -- see my signature.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Sopwith For This Useful Post:
oh man, for apple, its all about advertising. Have you seen them talk about video call or "facetime" calling??Its as if theyve INVENTED IT.
n900 ftw!

Posts: 186 | Thanked: 192 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Finland
Hmm, are the antenna conductive parts actually touchable outside the cover? If they are, that would pretty much screw up any impedance matching.

Also, if they are, what about static electricity? Wouldn't a good discharge fry the transceiver?

Edit: I actually watched few of the videos at OP's link, it does look quite bad to me: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ixIHyEPO5g

Last edited by juise-; 2010-06-24 at 13:54.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to juise- For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
@sopwith: one thing about Apple though.. they have really good aftermarket service*. I'd be very surprised if they don't completely fix this or offer you a full refund.

* within the warranty period.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Posts: 415 | Thanked: 732 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Finland
I would've thought this kind of issue would have been found during testing. Evidently there's a hole in Apples' product testing.

Although this is a interesting piece of news but why such a provocative title for the topic? I hate all the "My phone is better than your phone" flaming that never leads to anything productive.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to timoph For This Useful Post:
Posts: 186 | Thanked: 192 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Finland
Originally Posted by timoph View Post
I would've thought this kind of issue would have been found during testing. Evidently there's a hole in Apples' product testing.
Maybe it's something that happened in manufacturing.

E.g. manufacturer substituting cheaper components / materials from the original design, for better margins?

Or then these are just examples of faulty hardware.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
@juise: I really doubt any manuf company contracted by apple will risk their relationship by substituting any parts/design to save cost without Apple's knowledge or approval.

It's also very weird that after 3 iterations of iPhones (albeit with seemingly no antenna design change), they're bitten with a bug that's as prevalent and obvious as this.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Apple is to phones like Microsoft was to computers.

I remember back when the first Windows users discovered remote desktop and were amazed by it as one example.
Then I pointed out that x11 forwarding has been around in Linux FOREVER and people have been doing that for a long time in the IT world.

Now Apple is doing the same with phones.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Laughingstok For This Useful Post:
i still think apple usually does their **** well...

... but yea this one is a total **** up if it causes calls to disconnect (i seen youtube vids where even if it goes down to 1 bar the call stays connected etc)

wonder how apple will handle this one.

Tags
bestthreadever, form > function, h8'ers gon' h8, isheeps, worstthreadever