Notices

Posts: 395 | Thanked: 137 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Boone, IA
Video & Battery Life?

What kind of life are people getting from their batteries while watching videos? N800

I tried watching yesterday and hit the dreaded red battery after ~30 min ( on headphones and screen @ brightest setting)

Thanks

N800 (retired...soon to eBay)
Favorite Apps: CommunitySSU,DiabloTurbo, Flipclock, Keepnote, Dialcentral, Gizmo5 ,MediaBox/pyFMradio, Telescope,Diablo5 theme, Tear, Personal Menu/Launcher, OMWeather,Blubbels, Advanced Power/Backlight...now to play with Garnet6...

Posts: 1,137 | Thanked: 402 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Catalunya
It's been a while since I tried using my n800 for video, but I think that 30 minutes was it, yes.

The Following User Says Thank You to luca For This Useful Post:
@luca

Thanks

I was afraid of that... was hoping a new battery would help....oh well

Favorite Apps: CommunitySSU,DiabloTurbo, Flipclock, Keepnote, Dialcentral, Gizmo5 ,MediaBox/pyFMradio, Telescope,Diablo5 theme, Tear, Personal Menu/Launcher, OMWeather,Blubbels, Advanced Power/Backlight...now to play with Garnet6...

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
That sounds very wrong... When playing local content in offline mode, I'm getting 4+ hours on my N810, not on brightest screen, though (but with speakers).

Originally Posted by Snoshrk View Post
Thanks

I was afraid of that... was hoping a new battery would help....oh well
Don't thank me, it's possible that my unit (and yours) is faulty: most people here rave about amazing battery life, while I seldom get 2 hours of use, (I mean normal browsing, emailing, rssing, not playing videos).
Or maybe my original battery was faulty or not very "fresh" (lithium batteries age badly even when not used).
Now I'm using cheap hong-kong batteries and they last more or less the same than the original battery (when it was new, now it's almost useless).

Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
That sounds very wrong... When playing local content in offline mode, I'm getting 4+ hours on my N810, not on brightest screen, though (but with speakers).
I was streaming content over wifi (actually, playing from an nfs mount) or from an usb stick, so it may also explain why I got such lousy times.
Besides the n810 is more power efficient than the n800 (or so they say).

Posts: 1,605 | Thanked: 1,601 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Southern California
Originally Posted by luca View Post
I was streaming content over wifi (actually, playing from an nfs mount) or from an usb stick, so it may also explain why I got such lousy times.
Besides the n810 is more power efficient than the n800 (or so they say).
I used to get 3+ hours of video out of my N800 -- playing from an SD card. I usually get 4-5+ hours out of my N810 (constant video) -- from the SD card.

On my trip from the US to Berlin last year, I watched two full-length movies, played games, read a little, and wrote this blog post. The battery was coughing during the last paragraph of the blog post, but I was able to do it.

Tim

Posts: 258 | Thanked: 176 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Paris France
Same amazing battery life here.

Luca, Snoshrk, your machines (hardware or software) have something wrong. Even if streaming uses logically much more power thant reading from SD card, you should'nt get so poor results !

As usual in this case try :
0/ charge fully your battery
1/ deactivate ALL your applets/taskbar applets
2/ go to in flight mode
3/ close ALL your running programs
4/ play a long video from your SD card

How long does it play now ?

Originally Posted by totololo View Post
Same amazing battery life here.

Luca, Snoshrk, your machines (hardware or software) have something wrong. Even if streaming uses logically much more power thant reading from SD card, you should'nt get so poor results !

As usual in this case try :
0/ charge fully your battery
1/ deactivate ALL your applets/taskbar applets
2/ go to in flight mode
3/ close ALL your running programs
4/ play a long video from your SD card

How long does it play now ?
Well, I don't actually care about videos, but if I do 2 I could well stop using the internet tablet at all
Note that I always had lousy time with no applets at all, that's why now I have the clock and omweather (it doesn't make a difference).
Since the tablet doesn't tell me what is actually using the battery, trying pinpoint the cause (I suspect the swap on the sd card and the lousy access point) it's not worth it for me, since I have a couple of cheap spare batteries: when the first one is over I put in the second one.

Doh!

I had forgotten that I had been trying to glom onto a free wifi access point at extreme range before giving up and deciding to watch a movie (wife was shopping....craft store.....testosterone free zone....)

Thx

Tags
when will tim find me