Notices

Posts: 51 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Helsinki, Finland
Originally Posted by pelago View Post
Anyone interested in this could vote for https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=10496 although I wouldn't hold out too much hope for this being fixed in Maemo 5.
Thanks for understanding what I am talking about, I've now also voted for this bug.

Posts: 51 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Helsinki, Finland
Originally Posted by tswindell View Post
I guess you think that the phone is still drawing power from the USB, as in, it's using USB for power and not the fully charged battery, but you'd be wrong. As soon as the phone is fully charged, it goes back to battery power.
In my case, I ran into this when plugging my N900 into my car and starting GPS-based navigation software. I was somewhat surprised when the display would not stay on because the battery was full.

My point is, though indubitably technically accurate, how useful is this behaviour? What is the concievable benefit to the user of having the display switch off once the charging cycle is complete, instead of the implied "power-hungry display stays on when ample external power is available"?

Posts: 724 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by extechop View Post
In my case, I ran into this when plugging my N900 into my car and starting GPS-based navigation software. I was somewhat surprised when the display would not stay on because the battery was full.

My point is, though indubitably technically accurate, how useful is this behaviour? What is the concievable benefit to the user of having the display switch off once the charging cycle is complete, instead of the implied "power-hungry display stays on when ample external power is available"?
Once again you're completely missing the point, once the battery is fully charged. The phone starts to use battery power, having the screen on will cause battery drain as once the battery is full, the power connection is not being used. Think of the green light as I was full, but now I'm discharging.

Posts: 968 | Thanked: 974 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Ohio
Once again you're completely missing the point, once the battery is fully charged. The phone starts to use battery power, having the screen on will cause battery drain as once the battery is full, the power connection is not being used. Think of the green light as I was full, but now I'm discharging.
I think you are missing the point. Yes, once the battery is full, it switches back to battery. Fine. Yes, leaving the screen on uses power. Fine.

The key is that I have NOT uplugged the charger. I do not care if it is using power, because presumably, once the battery hits 85% (or whatever), it will start charging again, because it is still plugged in. It will then cycle between these two states until I unplug the charger.

While the N900 does exactly what it claims (screen on while charging) this is counter-intuitive behavior. I think most people expect that if it is plugged in, it is "charging", whether it really is or not. I believe my N800 screen will stay lit while on the charger (whether it is "charging" or not).

Come to think of it, that would make a great time-lapse video on a road trip using navigation software, watching the screen go blank, the green led light up, then go out, the screen light up, and repeat. I'm surprised Nokia didn't do it for one of their usability videos. A bunch of Finns in a car cursing because they missed a turn due to lack of voice guidance and a screen that turns off once the N900 is fully charged, so they can't see or hear the turn they missed.

The Following User Says Thank You to lemmyslender For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by lemmyslender View Post
The key is that I have NOT uplugged the charger. I do not care if it is using power, because presumably, once the battery hits 85% (or whatever), it will start charging again, because it is still plugged in. It will then cycle between these two states until I unplug the charger.
No, why do you think we're trying to make this point to you? As far as I'm aware, it doesn't start charging again until it gets unplugged and then reconnected to a power source.

Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
Are you saying that an N900 that is switched on and left plugged into a power supply will charge up fully, then discharge until it runs out of power and turns itself off? I'm pretty sure that's not the case, although I've never tried it myself.

Well, it has happened to me a few times.

Originally Posted by extechop View Post
Me too. However, I seem to remember that at least Mappero has an option to keep the display alive. Havn't checked it as yet.

Posts: 968 | Thanked: 974 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Ohio
No, why do you think we're trying to make this point to you? As far as I'm aware, it doesn't start charging again until it gets unplugged and then reconnected to a power source.
As pelago notes, I don't believe that's the case.

I have plugged my N900 in overnight when it was fairly full (80%+ charged). The next morning (8 hours later), it comes off the charger at ~94%. Given that it discharges around 5% per hour (for me). So give it 2 hours to charge completely, that leaves 6 hours on the charger at 5% discharge rate per hour, it should come off the charger at around 65% or less. This has never happened!

Has this ever happened to you? Have you ever taken your N900 off the charger with less battery charge then when you put it on the charger? If so, I suggest you send your N900 in for service. *edit* I see it has, I stand by my recommendation that you have your N900 serviced (or at least verify you don't have any programs running at 100% while charging).

Posts: 1,296 | Thanked: 1,773 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Budapest, Hungary
For me, the N900's screen always stays lit when it's on the charger. Even when the battery is full.