Notices

Posts: 51 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Helsinki, Finland
On the N900 the display property "Display stays lit when charging" gives you exactly what it promises: as long as the device is charging, the display stays lit. However, if the device thinks its battery is already full, the display switches off (in the normal backlight time-out) even when a charger is connected (there seems to be some minor strangeness here, as a dedicated charger and a computer USB cable seem to behave slightly differently).

I believe most people are actually expecting an option "Display stays lit when hooked to charger"?

not for me - it stays on completely unless I switch off the display.
Probably just a setting astray somewhere - you use PR1.2 ?

The Following User Says Thank You to theonelaw For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by theonelaw View Post
not for me - it stays on completely unless I switch off the display.
Probably just a setting astray somewhere - you use PR1.2 ?
I just tried this: I had the N900 hooked onto a computer via a USB cable, and waited for it to be fully charged (green LED). When I then unplugged the cable, and then immediately replugged it, I got a pop-up saying "battery full". When that happens, the display does switch off after the usual 30-second delay.

Using version 10.2010.19-1 so yes, I believe that is PR1.2

Yes. If battery is allready full when hooked to charger or USB cable, screen will shut down.

Posts: 102 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Wellingborough, UK
That's quite obvious as it isn't charging if the battery is full? :S

Originally Posted by KpaL View Post
Yes. If battery is allready full when hooked to charger or USB cable, screen will shut down.
And as I said in my original message, I believe most people are actually expecting an option "Display stays lit when hooked to charger", I know I am?

Should this be changed?

Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
here is your problem.
Attached Images

Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
when the battery is full then it is not charging....durrr obviously!

Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
extechop, I understand exactly what you're saying and I'm not sure why some others aren't getting it and being slightly hostile.

I guess technically in this aspect the N900 is working correctly according to the specification, as the wording on the tickbox matches the perceived behaviour. What you're asking for (and I agree) is for a different setting, a tickbox for "Display stays lit while connected to charger". This tickbox could replace the existing one, and the behaviour in the background modified to match the wording.

Anyone interested in this could vote for https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=10496 although I wouldn't hold out too much hope for this being fixed in Maemo 5. I don't know what the MeeGo behaviour is - does anyone know?

Posts: 724 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by pelago View Post
extechop, I understand exactly what you're saying and I'm not sure why some others aren't getting it and being slightly hostile.

I guess technically in this aspect the N900 is working correctly according to the specification, as the wording on the tickbox matches the perceived behaviour. What you're asking for (and I agree) is for a different setting, a tickbox for "Display stays lit while connected to charger". This tickbox could replace the existing one, and the behaviour in the background modified to match the wording.

Anyone interested in this could vote for https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=10496 although I wouldn't hold out too much hope for this being fixed in Maemo 5. I don't know what the MeeGo behaviour is - does anyone know?
I think what the others' are trying to say is this, when the phone isn't charging, having the display on all the time will drain the battery, because the phone isn't charging. I guess you think that the phone is still drawing power from the USB, as in, it's using USB for power and not the fully charged battery, but you'd be wrong. As soon as the phone is fully charged, it goes back to battery power.