Posts: 149 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ Germany
It's ok if it's an classic .tar.gz file like on ftp://ftp.mozilla.org , which I can decompress in /usr/lib and set a symlink into /usr/bin

Great, Thunderbird is my personal fave on my desktop machine. As lightning will be integrated into future versions of TB3, we will get everything I need
If Mozilla team recognize that TB is build and used on Maemo, they'll maybe do a version for 800x480

Posts: 1,743 | Thanked: 1,231 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Twickenham, UK
Originally Posted by YoDude View Post
Cool!..
Will it be something that I can install and remove fairly easy!

BTW (and off topic), is it just me or does it look like Reg may have a few keys mapped incorrectly?
It reads well in the original Reg's post, but not here.

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by anidel View Post
It reads well in the original Reg's post, but not here.
Interesting... Maybe it happens if you cut and paste coded text from a blog or suttin'...

Posts: 1,137 | Thanked: 402 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Catalunya
It would be interesting to compare its performance with claws, which already works pretty well on the tablet.
Both aren't the best imap client[*], but both are "good enough".
[*] Edit: that would be mulberry, the only one that really uses the imap paradigm to its full potential, and it would be killer on a constrained device like the tablet. Polymer also gets it but it's too buggy and bare-bones, and I couldn't get telomer, the tablet version of polymer, to work with diablo.

Last edited by luca; 2008-07-26 at 20:32.

If we had Sunbird, it would also alleviate complaints that there isn't a good native calendaring app.

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by mrklaw View Post
If we had Sunbird, it would also alleviate complaints that there isn't a good native calendaring app.
Sunbird will be integrated in Thunderbird 3.

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Hmm.. as much as I prefer Thunderbird over anything else, I have a bunch of questions about this. Will it be lightweight enough to run decently--not just speed, but the way it uses all the resources like minimizing memory, temp space and flash read/writes? Will the email contents be stored compressed? Will we be able to store email in either /media/mmc paths of our own choosing instead of home? etc etc

I'm curious. I like the idea of using Thunderbird on my N800--one more point toward the idea of using my N800 more and my laptop less and less.

Thanks for your efforts!

Posts: 149 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ Germany
No package available? I don't need a deb, a tar.gz like from original mozilla.org is really enough. Thank you!

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
You can ask the developer directly here http://blog.mozilla.com/dolske/2008/...bird-on-maemo/ that is his blog entry. Or e-mail him. But its volunteer work, so don't demand. Be humble.

If he could provide his config flags we might be able to compile our own port.

Be aware Icedove (Debian's Thunderbird) 2.0.16 works on ARM: http://packages.debian.org/lenny/icedove here are also the depedencies listed.

One usability related issue will be lack of hildonized GUI though.

U got Icedove to work?? Mine keeps segfaulting.
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

Tags
icedove, mozilla