Posts: 218 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ localhost
We're more than six months underway and no decent Skype or other videochat software is available. Remember the nice box N800 came in? It had all sorts of nice pictures on it. N800 still can't do any of the things on the box (good).
It's a waste of 400$.

Development of software is growing to a halt. That means the developer community is allready giving up on it.

It's exactly as you said, testerj: it's a toy and nothing more.
Whatever the N900 will be like, I won't buy it. I've learned my lesson and put my money on a small formfactor laptop or a new UMPC when they fix the battery issue.

Bye bye Nokia Internet Tablet.

Last edited by Frankowitz; 2007-06-15 at 08:55.

Posts: 63 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Chandler, AZ, USA
I always see people calling the N800 a toy. Working in the tech field I use my N800 for business as often as I can. I use it to check email, do vulnerability scans, intrusion detection, site analysis, and even some low level coding and shell scripting. Yes nokia doesn't throw may prgrams our way, but it was designed as an OSS device, which means the whole community works together to put what we want on it. As far as all the crying about no skype, if people want a wifi skype device so badly why not buy the linksys iphone that apple so kindly stole the name from? It supports wifi and has a small skype client built in. The N800 is exactly what it's name says, and Internet Tablet. It works well as a pocketable portal to the internet. And all the hubub on java... it supports java script, most web developers worth their salt have gone away from using java to flash, ajax, aflax, and the like as they are much more versitle and resource friendly for the most part. If people aren't happy with the N800 as far as I can see there are two approches you can take. Part ways with it and sell it or take a more active role in the development community to make it what you want it to be. At least that's my oppinion on all of this.

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by Frankowitz View Post
Development of software is growing to a halt. That means the developer community is allready giving up on it.
You should spend some of your time on reading instead of complaining. Only some clicks away is news about the massive push the whole Maemo/Hildon platform currently gets not only from application developers, but also from large companies. During the last few weeks, software development for Maemo has probably made the greatest leap forward since I follow it - which is since March 2006.

Posts: 355 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Helsinki, Finland
@benny1967,

You make good points but I think many purchasers, myself included, bought the N800 without realizing what it is. I was under the impression that it was something akin to a biz device that had great Internet connectivity, while this far from the truth. The N800 is not a "ready for the consumer" device. It is more geared for people that do not tinkering, developing, hacking, etc.... Being open source lends itself to this milieu. There are many that like the N800, myself included but neither have the time nor the inclination to delve into this particular device but would rather have something that just works for them out of the box. I am quite sure, if Nokia put a basic syncing application on it, the N800 would appeal much more and be considered user friendly.

Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
You should spend some of your time on reading instead of complaining. Only some clicks away is news about the massive push the whole Maemo/Hildon platform currently gets not only from application developers, but also from large companies. During the last few weeks, software development for Maemo has probably made the greatest leap forward since I follow it - which is since March 2006.
Give me a few examples of software that falls under your definition and is released (not promised).
I'm talking about the standard apps (which are crap and continue to be) and the development scene.
What large companies are you talking about? Skype?

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally Posted by Frankowitz View Post
We're more than six months underway and no decent Skype or other videochat software is available. Remember the nice box N800 came in? It had all sorts of nice pictures on it. N800 still can't do any of the things on the box (good).
It's a waste of 400$.

It's exactly as you said, testerj: it's a toy and nothing more.
Whatever the N900 will be like, I won't buy it. I've learned my lesson and put my money on a small formfactor laptop or a new UMPC when they fix the battery issue.

Bye bye Nokia Internet Tablet.
Skype was promised for this summer and not before. It's most likely going to be released with the next firmware update in a few weeks. I use the videochat function built into the N800 on a daily basis without trouble. Where do you see the development of software coming to a halt? Have you looked at garage.maemo.org? There's a ton of new projects being created and new updates being released.

You seriously must be in the bizzaro world or something.

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
While it's true that Nokia are not in favour of Java on Maemo they are more than happy to support the community who are already busy developing Java on Maemo. So while Java on Maemo may not come from Nokia, it will come eventually.

As for Opera 9, I hope that Nokia put their money and resources into open source browsers rather than continue licencing a closed source application whose quality and functionality is outside of their control.
Nokia's already been using KHTML as a basis for their browsers on some phones. I wouldn't be surprised to see it on the Nokia N800 either. (Yes, there is a new Maemo WebKit project - WebKit is directly based on KHTML.)

Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
As for Opera 9, I hope that Nokia put their money and resources into open source browsers rather than continue licencing a closed source application whose quality and functionality is outside of their control.
Although I don't disagree with this, it still wouldn't solve one of the main problems with the current Opera browser: The too-old flash support. We're still dependent on commercial licensing of Flash for N800 from Adobe.
Most of the time I find Opera a quite nice browser, with its switchable 'optimized view' mode etc. Other than flash I only know about a couple of issues:
o Not working for some types of Ajax sites, e.g. Google docs. Not critical for me. Possibly this could be solved by switching to another browser.
o Missing support for java applets. This is critical for me, and not something I can work around (banks). Nokia doesn't seem to want java applet support for some reason, or thinks it very low priority. But still, if the browser was open it could presumably be added by third parties. Maybe.

Originally Posted by zerojay View Post
Skype was promised for this summer and not before. It's most likely going to be released with the next firmware update in a few weeks. I use the videochat function built into the N800 on a daily basis without trouble. Where do you see the development of software coming to a halt? Have you looked at garage.maemo.org? There's a ton of new projects being created and new updates being released.
There are no projects that are mainstream apps. All specialized little things.
Look at the top projects. None of them are mainstream. I want usefull apps that add to the mobile experience, not car cockpit things with bells or media player number 34 and a half.
I want a browser that's any good, decent video codec support, a working app for videochat, a workable mail program and a working touchscreen.

Originally Posted by zerojay
You seriously must be in the bizzaro world or something.
I like your non-personal and constructive style that is really adding to this forum. Kudos.

Last edited by Frankowitz; 2007-06-15 at 15:20.

If that's what you want, then get to work on it. There's nothing stopping you.

And thanks, I pride myself on my posting style.