Posts: 477 | Thanked: 118 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Munich, Germany
When the N810 came out, we got the word that the N800 would continue its life parallel to it. However:

-I checked this morning on the German Nokia shop, and it is not listed any more
-I checked on the French Nokia shop and they say "last pieces!".
-on the Finish, Spanish, Belgian or Dutch sites, the buy link links to a dead page on the direct order European general site
-it has been listed as "not available" or "delivery time unknown" in various other German shops

It is still available on the US, UK and Italian Nokia web shops, however. But for how long?

Posts: 479 | Thanked: 58 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Dubai, UAE
No idea, but i'm going to wait for a fire sale and then buy another 3 units

Posts: 236 | Thanked: 149 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Finland
I'm fairly certain that N800 was discontinued pretty much at the moment the N810 was released. When that happened the N800 prices plummeted and soon after that they disappeared from the stores. It does make sense to drop the N800 production, because N800 and N810 are quite similar in hardware, but N800 had half the price. It was way too good a deal at the end. This way they can drive the sales of N810 while the software updates keep existing N800 owners happy.

Now I'm waiting for the next IT to come out so I can buy a N810 half free

Again, that is not true. The N800 was designed to be priced lower down the scale, with the N810 being a higher-end device (GPS, smaller form factor, hardware keyboard) priced higher up the scale.

Both devices have specific target segments, so the N810 was never meant to be a replacement for the N800, merely an alternative with fundamental differences in use cases.

The Following User Says Thank You to ghoonk For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Naranek View Post
I'm fairly certain that N800 was discontinued pretty much at the moment the N810 was released. When that happened the N800 prices plummeted and soon after that they disappeared from the stores. It does make sense to drop the N800 production, because N800 and N810 are quite similar in hardware, but N800 had half the price. It was way too good a deal at the end. This way they can drive the sales of N810 while the software updates keep existing N800 owners happy.

Now I'm waiting for the next IT to come out so I can buy a N810 half free
but the N810 doesnt support 2x16GB SDHC cards!

Posts: 53 | Thanked: 14 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Toronto
Originally Posted by OppositeOfIgnorance View Post
You should be able to stick two 32 GB SDHC cards into the N800 once they become generally available. The N800 is such a different beast than the N810 because of it's copious amounts of available internal storage (both devices could mount external storage via USB OTG, but that isn't quite the same).

Originally Posted by OppositeOfIgnorance View Post
Yes, as mentioned the N810 is targeted at a different market base. To be honest, I think the N800 is more a geek device than the N810.

Why? Take for example the GPS and keyboard. Geeks are generally more adept at setting up connections to external bluetooth devices, whereas people who just 'want things to work right out of the box' would prefer a built-in GPS and not have to configure anything.

Likewise, geeks are generally more inclined to pecking at virtual keyboards and using handwriting recognition, whereas having a hardware keyboard makes the NiT so much more palatable for the typical consumer.

Perhaps through market studies, Nokia has identified that its target market is less inclined to use 2 SD cards, especially with 2Gb of on-board memory, compared the 256MB that's built into the N800. By using a miniSDHC card slot instead of a full-sized SDHC, Nokia was also able to reach out to a consumer market that is exposed to such types of media today (e.g. how many 'normal' people do you know have SDHCs, compared to people who have miniSDs?), as opposed to the geeks who would happily source for SDHC cards which aren't commonly used today (e.g. most digital cameras are either on CF or miniSD these days)

The Following User Says Thank You to ghoonk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 477 | Thanked: 118 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Munich, Germany
Whether the N810 is targetted at a different base or not, it has been taken out of some Nokia web sites. So it seems that Nokia is not interested in keeping 2 separate lines.

Odd that this should be happening. Whatever the case may be, I hope they stick with the platform. I think the N800s have a lot of potential in the commercial space, especially in areas like retail (imagine a sales assistant being able to do an item lookup for you, show you an image of the item, locate stores that have it in stock, and then you being able to make a reservation for the item, all in the span of 5 minutes) - a Windows Mobile device could do it, but then again, Windows Mobile devices aren't anywhere as cool as NiTs.

If Nokia were smart, they would start making this available as an option in the enterprise market segments, or at better prices to people implementing this in various environments. The N800 has a lot of unrealised promise, and at the right price point (something that Nokia needs to work on), they could have a volume seller on their hands.

Once prices fall, I can see people snapping this up. I know I will probably get a couple of units, and if I can find an investor, perhaps consider 50 to 100 units for the motorsport application I am working on -- it makes an excellent all-in-one system (PMP, GPS Navigation, Motorsport Performance Analytics, Mobile Internet Device, etc) at a very fair price (sub-$300)

Ideally, I would like to customize the UI into something more like Canola, which would make the overall user experience that much less complex. But first things first

Posts: 36 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Finland
I think it was more than obvious that Nokia would drop the N800 after the N810 was released.

The Following User Says Thank You to nahkiainen For This Useful Post: