Posts: 402 | Thanked: 451 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ India
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
The out of the box experience for the Nokia N900 downright sucks in comparison to any other phone other there that claims to be a smartphone. I have to apply even more research to the OS than I did for purchasing the damn thing, it doesn't even send images via MMS out of the box, it cannot open up and edit MS Office files out of the box, it will never get an update to Flash Player 10.1 out of the box. I have to add repositories, I have to open up the terminal, I have to login to a community like this, I have to install many other libraries, applications and workarounds just to get to a comfortable place to use the damn thing, then I have to buy yet another battery, a desktop charger, shave down the barbs on the microUSB charger and submit myself to constant questions of "Did you do your research?" ... if I were a n00b, that is. I've been here longer than most folks, and yet I've seen that thrown around constantly... that's a downright uninviting way to ask for a way to help anybody. Anyway, out of the box plain sucks. The fact that the platform has many ways to rectify that though, is great.
Don't make me repeat myself.
If you are only cared about the out-of-the-box experience, why would you need a smartphone? Even though I agree to all the points you mentioned, I am failing to see whats the real problem? You can easily install whatever you want and do as many tweaks as possible. What are you complaining about then? Remember no platform is perfect and each has its own pros & cons. Weren't you aware of this before?

Agreed that Nokia should have shown more interest in this device but thats a known thing. You gripe one time, same thing. You gripe 1000 times, again the same thing. They are probably not gonna change and we have to live with it. I know it's sad but I would be often rather amazed at the possibilities this device and this community right here offers. It is simply unparalleled.

Getting into this ecosystem? (Maemo, MeeGo), I feel I have made a wise decision. That is, I chose to make my own decisions. But again, to each his own!

I liked the comment where someone rightly pointed out, to use iPhone out-of-the-box, you first need to buy a computer with iTunes installed and then an internet connection.
Please Take Note: All people (not only the ones below poverty line) in the world do not have computers still. Hardly what they have is access to it. Sad but true!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to vkv.raju For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 778 | Thanked: 337 times | Joined on Jun 2010
Originally Posted by khuong View Post
Well, you can make a call out of the box when inserted your simcard, try to compare out of the box experience with iphone..

For iphone you need to buy a computer and an internet connection and then maybe you can make some call.
i didnt get it
u serious?
why? :-/

Posts: 861 | Thanked: 936 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Bulgaria
Originally Posted by vkv.raju View Post
...I liked the comment where someone rightly pointed out, to use iPhone out-of-the-box, you first need to buy a computer with iTunes installed and then an internet connection....
Even if I have a computer, but I am a Linux user(which is the case) - how do I install iTunes on it? Only way I think is to mess with Wine, but I am not sure it will work anyway.

PS. That is the case with OVI Suite as well, but who really needs it for his N900?! ;-)

Posts: 500 | Thanked: 437 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Oklahoma
I want to believe!

I saw this thread and this thread and I picked up my N900 expecting to see the update icon flashing. I opened Application Manager and ran update. I was disappointed that no PR 1.4 arrived. I checked the online download area to see if maybe it was there.

I guess these folks are updating to PR 1.3 or are re-flashing an earlier version.

Last edited by tzsm98; 2011-01-12 at 08:37. Reason: add information

The Following User Says Thank You to tzsm98 For This Useful Post:
PR 1.4 IS coming. it will be MeeGo v56532.341 running 100% on the N900.......in Feb of 2029 (assuming your N900 is still working by then). KUDOS NOKIA!!!

*runs away and hides*

The Following User Says Thank You to droll For This Useful Post:
Any news on the horizon? We are in 2nd quarter...

Some rumors confirm that this thread may be a fail. The fact remains that I'll stay here with my popcorns.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to torpedo48 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 364 | Thanked: 128 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Australia
Wake me up when dream comes true ... till then ... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Hey N9 is just out ... forget about N900 support anymore ...

The Following User Says Thank You to clovis86 For This Useful Post:
I gazed into my crystal ball, and hark! I saw a hazey vision .. it went a little like this..

'something something chuck norris something something post 7000 something something abill something something Texrat something something abill something something moved to off topic...'

Cybot950 - Control a robot with your N9/N950
SMSPetFeeder - Build a Bluetooth/SMS dog feeder with Qt, N950, and arduino
Nerf950 - Use your N9/N950 to fire a Nerf gun

The Following User Says Thank You to kojacker For This Useful Post:

Tags
factfromfiction, fukking fanboys, i wish, just shoot me, meego vs pr 1.4, penis face, ya rite