Banned | Posts: 280 | Thanked: 295 times | Joined on Apr 2013 @ Romania
Well I'm here because I'm very disappointed about video recording on mobile devices. Even with the new ones, with 720p or 1080p HD recording the sound is a big mess, and I can make a list of the phones I owned and how good the camera is acting up:
  • HTC 8s: 5Mpx 720p HD - Good image, distorted sound in loud environments like concerts (the sound gets very powerful distortions from the subwoofers)
  • Samsung GT-I900: 5Mpx 720p HD - Same as the HTC
  • Nokia N900: 5Mpx - Not as good as HD, but decent image (widescreen) and pretty good sound, but still gets distorted in loud places
  • Xperia X1: 3.2Mpx - Crap!
  • HTC Diamond: 3.15Mpx - Good image but very crappy sound!
  • Motorola E8 - 2Mpx - Should I say something, except crap?
  • Sony K850i - 5Mpx - Very good image, number of frame rate control, still sucks at sound in loud places.
  • Sony U5 HD - 8Mpx HD - Superb image, still very crappy sound

I made this post because I saw this post on Facebook:

Capture great sound even in the loudest places with ‪#‎Lumia1020‬ http://youtu.be/FOy6mCEK0Zw
Name:  1002765_10151476849607397_363079909_n.jpg
Views: 303
Size:  22.3 KB

Is there a phone out there that can record flawlessly in any condition (except dedicated camera gear - I know they can do that, I'm interested only in mobile phones).

Let's discuss this!

P.S. HTC 8s video record in a very loud place @ 150.000W http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eqk4xoyKXso (where my Canon digital camera would handle with minimal distortions)

Last edited by TheoX; 2013-07-13 at 21:47.

Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Lumia 1020 reportedly handles sound pressure levels six times louder than conventional smartphone microphones.
So, hardware mod? Take microphone from a camera and put it into your phone? Just, study their specifications, connectors, et cetera, beforehand, to make sure they are compatible and easily exchangeable.
Bumping the thread...
Best wishes.

Banned | Posts: 280 | Thanked: 295 times | Joined on Apr 2013 @ Romania
Originally Posted by Wikiwide View Post
Lumia 1020 reportedly handles sound pressure levels six times louder than conventional smartphone microphones.
So, hardware mod? Take microphone from a camera and put it into your phone? Just, study their specifications, connectors, et cetera, beforehand, to make sure they are compatible and easily exchangeable.
Bumping the thread...
Best wishes.
Well, I just want to find out if there are some other phones capable of doing that. I saw on the internet how a Lumia 920 records audio, and trust me, it can take much more pressure but you loose all the quality, so still very crappy sound, when the bass kicks in you loose all the high freq of the sound.

Until now the only phone that really was really great when recording in loud places was the LG Viewty (the one with Xenon, not the cheaper model with LED's).

Any experience with other phones?

P.S. I'm going to test soon a SW mod for the 8s, and take a shoot with my 1200W audio system and see how it handles, but this will be up in about 1-2 days .