After picking up my 770 from the local CompUSA and using it for a few days, I really think I have found what I have been waiting years for! I have had several palms and pocket PCs, and for my uses I don't think any of them come close to the 770.

I may be a bit different, but the main things that I used a PDA are for ebooks, games, email and (trying) to occasionally web browse. I have never used the pim stuff very much, so the lack of this is not a bid deal to me. Of course I am sure there will be some programs on the way soon.

I know everyone mentions it, but I just have to repeat it: The screen is amazing! Web pages are crisp and clear, and they look like they should!! Trying to compare a clipped and squished version of a web page on a phone or PDA with the 770 is almost a joke.

Good job Nokia!! (Of course the whole shipping fiasco is a different story...)

Originally Posted by Treponema
After picking up my 770 from the local CompUSA and using it for a few days, I really think I have found what I have been waiting years for! I have had several palms and pocket PCs, and for my uses I don't think any of them come close to the 770.

I may be a bit different, but the main things that I used a PDA are for ebooks, games, email and (trying) to occasionally web browse. I have never used the pim stuff very much, so the lack of this is not a bid deal to me. Of course I am sure there will be some programs on the way soon.

I know everyone mentions it, but I just have to repeat it: The screen is amazing! Web pages are crisp and clear, and they look like they should!! Trying to compare a clipped and squished version of a web page on a phone or PDA with the 770 is almost a joke.

Good job Nokia!! (Of course the whole shipping fiasco is a different story...)
Of course there can be a comparison between a pda and a 770. The 770 is a clear winner in some ways, but still has some catching up to do in others.

As a web browser, the 770 is vastly superior, but for audio it is actually pretty comparable. As an email sending device, the 770 is better by virtue of the screen and large virtual keyboard, but compared to snappermail on my palm, the 770 email client seems slow and lacks a good imap feature set.

Of course, the 770 has yet to reach it's full potential. I think that many of it's shortcomings will be addressed soon as more software gets ported. e.g. minimo, sylpheed and xmms.(my wishlist) palmos 5.x, aka frankengarnet, by comparison has been on life support for a while now.

Posts: 192 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Eugene, Oregon
Originally Posted by waddell
Of course, the 770 has yet to reach it's full potential. I think that many of it's shortcomings will be addressed soon as more software gets ported.
For everyone who has joined in the past couple of weeks I would like to revive the discovery we made here in mid November that the 770 reaches far beyond the limitations of PDA's in that it functions elegantly as a remote touchscreen display to applications running remote to it over both the local and the wide area network. This is what any display is doing when it's being used as a web browser but it means that applications which are built upon the X Window System, or X, can be enjoyed by 770 owners without having to actually be installed on the 770 first and without having to be constrained by the processing limitations of the 770 itself. In plainspeak, because the 770 can be used as a wireless X terminal, you ain't seen nuthin' yet.

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ UK
Originally Posted by Remote User
the 770 reaches far beyond the limitations of PDA's in that it functions elegantly as a remote touchscreen display to applications running remote to it over both the local and the wide area network.
Except, of course, it doesn't (with the current software revision & design).

The virtual keyboard is tied at the wrong level and so only applies to Hildonised/osso-based apps using Gtk on the device :-(

Originally Posted by aflegg
Except, of course, it doesn't (with the current software revision & design). The virtual keyboard is tied at the wrong level and so only applies to Hildonised/osso-based apps using Gtk on the device :-(
I'll email NOKIA and to Matthew Allum at openedhand later today asking about fixing this. It's the kind of screwup that has resulted from X being narrowly appreciated and not well understood. It proves what I suspected, that from day one Nokia never had any idea that this X terminal they were building would ever actually be used as an X terminal. Somebody there should be embarassed about this and it should be fixed ASAP.
I don't regard this design shortcoming as a complete showstopper because the apps I have in mind are touchscreen driven and the keyboard on the box where the app is running is available.
Assuming that this shortcoming is dealt with, if the 770 is not widely used as an X terminal it will be a huge diminishment of its potential value and usefulness.

Merely changing the tech device paradigm from one of PC-centric islands browsing & sending files to each other to one of PDA-centric islands browsing & sending files to each other isn't, I hope, the extent of what is ahead of us at this point. What I'm hoping for a tech device paradigm where the 770 is a lot more than just an exceptional PDA with high resolution browser but is a display and input device that makes a whole world of hardware and software resources available to each user. The 770 must be a versatile network, display and input device, clearly. But that's all that a PDA tries to be and it isn't enough in 2006. More than this, then, the 770 must be a versatile TRANSPARENT network, REMOTE display and REMOTE input device - a fully enabled network resource, the ultimate personal network resource. Unless and until the 770 allows both display and input over the network, it's just an ultra PDA that is limited to browsing and sending files over the network - it's crippled, in comparison to what it could be.

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ UK
Originally Posted by Remote User
I don't regard this design shortcoming as a complete showstopper because the apps I have in mind are touchscreen driven and the keyboard on the box where the app is running is available.
Agreed, I suspected as much from the photos on your site ;-)

Hopefully I'll be able to test remote X apps with a Bluetooth keyboard shortly (a Thinkoutside Stowaway was attempted to be delivered today).

Cheers,

Andrew

Originally Posted by aflegg
Hopefully I'll be able to test remote X apps with a Bluetooth keyboard shortly. Cheers, Andrew
Here are some photos of what 2006 looks like for me, in addition to the 770, of course.