Posts: 670 | Thanked: 747 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Kansas City, Missouri, USA
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
Anywhere but that particular thread is fine. Thanks.
I'm open to suggestions.
Registered Linux user #266531.

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by marxian View Post
Who's to say they will buy Nokia devices. There's plenty of cheap Android devices to choose from.
no one. still nokia is the only manufacturer that focuses to the next billion and has a good track record with their life tools (read: they know something about what the "next billion" needs..)
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by ossipena View Post
this exactly is the point why you don't understand the potential of developing countries...

do you need sms based services to help you with agriculture?

even when you don't:
http://www.itnewsafrica.com/2009/04/...ets-a-success/
no one. still nokia is the only manufacturer that focuses to the next billion and has a good track record with their life tools (read: they know something about what the "next billion" needs..)
Kenya, Nigeria snatch Google apps award
The two, David Lemayian of Capefield Ltd and Gerald Kibugi of Elan Telemedia Ltd and a third from Nigeria, Afrinolly, will each receive Sh2.4 million (about US $25,000).

They are expected to use the money to grow their businesses, with mentoring from Google.

The three winning applications, were chosen from hundreds of developers in Sub-Saharan Africa who submitted applications for entertainment, media and games; social networking and communication; and productivity, tools, and geo services.

Capefield’s application, Olalashe (which means ‘brother’ in Maasai) is a geo-alert application that could help one communicate when in distress, through a widget that sends the location of the person with a pre-set message at the push of a button.

Elan Telemedia Ltd’s Shoppers’ Delight allows buyers to compare prices across supermarkets in different areas, unearthing bargains complete with access maps and health information.
http://www.itnewsafrica.com/2011/09/...le-apps-award/

Just making this point:

It would appear that Nokia's competitors understand the potential of developing countries increasingly better worldwide. Nokia is losing relevance and market share day by day.

Originally Posted by marxian View Post
Who's to say they will buy Nokia devices. There's plenty of cheap Android devices to choose from.
Tech: Google/Huawei launch $100 Android Phone in Kenya - CP-Africa
Specs: http://www.gsmarena.com/huawei_u8150_ideos-3513.php

From http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/2182...s-android.htm:
Pricing: Android phones give you more options to fit your budget. When a new iPhone is launched, it is priced exorbitantly and is pretty much out of reach for most consumers. Android phones, on the other hand, are a mixed bag as far as price is concerned. There are so many of them which cover almost every price segment. Many powerful Android smartphones are available for less than $100.

Lately, Android chipset makers are introducing low-cost components to support popular specs like Bluetooth, GPS, dual core ARM processors, 8MP cameras and capacitive displays. The best example is Broadcom. Phones built on their new chipset will retail under $100, possibly even touching the $75 price point. That would allow an "average user" to buy a high-end Android phone. With such a device, the user will be able to subscribe to month-by-month plans offered by carriers or skip the carrier data plans altogether and just rely on cheap voice and messaging plans and connect to the internet using free WiFi hotspots.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Don't forget that Android (2.2 I believe) is powering that $35 India "computer", that Aakash.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
android cannot be stopped at this point regardless of what nokia decides to, android cannot be beaten. They're just too late I believe. Everyone should just strive for 2nd place and maintain as much marketshare as possible. That b**ch won't slow down at all.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hotnikkelz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 434 | Thanked: 990 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Australia
are you serious?!?
nokias "next billion" is totally underhyped if you know even a fraction about developing countries and what cellphones mean to them....

then:

this exactly is the point why you don't understand the potential of developing countries...

do you need sms based services to help you with agriculture?

even when you don't:
http://www.itnewsafrica.com/2009/04/...ets-a-success/
Do you work for Nokia Marketing?

The estimates of handsets that could POTENTIALLY be brought to these markets are just that, and in no way could anyone suggest that Nokia will have sole dominion over these markets.
Certainly lower end dumb/feature phones will be the core of these regions because the infrastructure isn't there to support anything much beyond GSM/GPRS.

Nokia may have some level of Brand recognition, especially in the African continents, however China has MASSIVE industry/mining investment in these regions (not to mention the wholesale purchase and ownership of agricultural land for food supply - now there's a long term investment!) and if you know anything about how the chinese work, you'll know that their trade delegations will be investing in communications infrastructure and jamming their feet in the doors of anyone high up in government willing to sell/spruke/allow their products and services. enter companies like Huweii, who can mass push (with government support) cheap devices to market in a way that Nokia can't, simply because their high-end handset sales are so poor, they can no longer continue to support the massive subsidies that, until now, Nokia have been using as a means of selling their dumb/feature phones at such a cheap price.
Do you believe that the average farmer in the african or asian continent will care what logo is on their mobile phone?
furthermore, do you think that there aren't similar applications for android devices? and guess who makes most of them? China.
Nokia doesn't have a monopoly on "life-tools" for third world/developing nations, and just because other manufacturers don't talk up their programs, doesn't mean they don't exist.

Don't get me wrong, Meltemi has immense potential (and I hope provides further opportunities for Nokia, if only to keep Qt and "linux" relevent in the mobile handset arena), but it's only potential and doesn't equate to anything beyond hype at this point..... unless you're a "salad tossing" member of the Nokia Marketing Dept.

Last edited by onethreealpha; 2011-10-07 at 23:21.

The Following User Says Thank You to onethreealpha For This Useful Post:
i was wondering, won't it make sense for Nokia to use android kernel and then use QT/QML wrappers for everything else?
Not sure how these things work, but isn't it possible?

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Kenya, Nigeria snatch Google apps award
The two, David Lemayian of Capefield Ltd and Gerald Kibugi of Elan Telemedia Ltd and a third from Nigeria, Afrinolly, will each receive Sh2.4 million (about US $25,000).

They are expected to use the money to grow their businesses, with mentoring from Google.

The three winning applications, were chosen from hundreds of developers in Sub-Saharan Africa who submitted applications for entertainment, media and games; social networking and communication; and productivity, tools, and geo services.

Capefield’s application, Olalashe (which means ‘brother’ in Maasai) is a geo-alert application that could help one communicate when in distress, through a widget that sends the location of the person with a pre-set message at the push of a button.

Elan Telemedia Ltd’s Shoppers’ Delight allows buyers to compare prices across supermarkets in different areas, unearthing bargains complete with access maps and health information.
http://www.itnewsafrica.com/2011/09/...le-apps-award/

Just making this point:

It would appear that Nokia's competitors understand the potential of developing countries increasingly better worldwide. Nokia is losing relevance and market share day by day.

Tech: Google/Huawei launch $100 Android Phone in Kenya - CP-Africa
Specs: http://www.gsmarena.com/huawei_u8150_ideos-3513.php

From http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/2182...s-android.htm:
Pricing: Android phones give you more options to fit your budget. When a new iPhone is launched, it is priced exorbitantly and is pretty much out of reach for most consumers. Android phones, on the other hand, are a mixed bag as far as price is concerned. There are so many of them which cover almost every price segment. Many powerful Android smartphones are available for less than $100.

Lately, Android chipset makers are introducing low-cost components to support popular specs like Bluetooth, GPS, dual core ARM processors, 8MP cameras and capacitive displays. The best example is Broadcom. Phones built on their new chipset will retail under $100, possibly even touching the $75 price point. That would allow an "average user" to buy a high-end Android phone. With such a device, the user will be able to subscribe to month-by-month plans offered by carriers or skip the carrier data plans altogether and just rely on cheap voice and messaging plans and connect to the internet using free WiFi hotspots.
Danramos we already know that you are a Google fanatic

But those damn graphs may change drastically in other directions in a year...

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by hotnikkelz View Post
android cannot be stopped at this point regardless of what nokia decides to, android cannot be beaten. They're just too late I believe. Everyone should just strive for 2nd place and maintain as much marketshare as possible. That b**ch won't slow down at all.
yeah right. You really are naive...

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
Danramos we already know that you are a Google fanatic
I'm not particularly fanatical about any brand. I said it wayyyyy back when I first started here and I'll say it again--I'll buy the brand that delivers me the device I want and treats me well as a customer. I'm not particularly faithful to any brand and I'm wiling to look at competing brands, but I've been (so far) very happy with my Android/Motorola/Samsung/Verizon experience

For instance, this thread: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=8318&page=6 ...where I stated, regarding being unable to find and buy parts to repair my N800 at the time in July of 2008:

That really doesn't solve the problem for the rest of us seeking to keep using our devices. I'm also in need of a replacement stand as well as a new screen (with digitizer) and I've run into all the same problems everyone else is complaining about--I cannot find anyplace to buy the parts and the one place that claims to have them won't sell them to me unless I'm 'certified' to be able to have those parts sold to me. Is there any way I, and others, can get this resolved?

Isn't Nokia concerned with after-market sales and support? At this point in time, they could make more profit from parts than from whole product and it would go far to satisfy customers who have liked Nokia's products and wish to remain loyal to the brand.

For instance, I had been eagerly awaiting to get a Nokia N810 WiMax when it comes out here in the US. I may change my mind--I don't want to run into this again in the future--especially now that there appears to be some excellent Linux UMPC/Tablet alternatives on the market from very competitive brands that are known to provide good support. That element may provide them with a competitive leg to stand on despite Nokia's head-start and excellent product.

Advice would be appreciated. I'm not willing to ship my device out for repair--that seems ridiculous to me. The cost of repair and shipping is not worth it to me--I'm very capable of doing things myself. Maybe a collective purchase from a few people who are looking for replacement backplates/kickstands? Screens? Better still, do you know where I can buy parts from that maybe I hadn't come across?

Thanks in advance!
I treat Google, Motorola, Samsung and any brand or product with that same level of expectation. If they treat me well, I'll continue to spend my money and explain that experience to others positively. If they don't treat me well, I'll happily jump onto a brand that will and similarly explain that experience to others negatively. I would hope that you would have at least the same sane stance and not come off as one of those legion Apple fanboi types, only for Nokia or any brand.

Companies aren't entitled to loyalty just because you bought one of their products--they must earn loyalty over and over again.

But those damn graphs may change drastically in other directions in a year...
...or they may not. The trending appears to disagree with your suggestion, however, so I have my doubts. Ultimately, we'll just have to see.

yeah right. You really are naive...
Why is he naive, and why do you believe that you are not?
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Last edited by danramos; 2011-10-08 at 02:31.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:

Tags
deb & mitm, deb obsoleted, deb rox, dumbphones, linux, linuxmelting, meltemi, rpm sux