Poll: Would you buy N950 if it is available for purchase?
Poll Options
Would you buy N950 if it is available for purchase?

Originally Posted by lma View Post
How hackable are droids? Is it likely that MeeGo could eventually run on one of these?
So much for that :-(

Plus, it won't be sold over here.

I am not that familiar with android, sorry.

Originally Posted by mscion View Post
This I would like to see. If you are familiar with android can you say which apps are similar? Also are there Debian repositories that have code compiled for the processor on the Droid 3 (TI OMAP 4430)? I stopped by a verizon store today and they had a display model there for show (not a model that is working). It is is noticeably bigger than the N900 but interestingly the keyboard had a similar feel to N900 (at least to me). I thought the lip on the right hand side would make it feel odd but you don't notice it because it easily fits in the cup of your hand. Anyways, the real thing will show up next week. I will have a closer look then. The funny thing for me is that NOKIA did not have to hit a home run to get me to to buy a new phone from them. I just wanted them to provide something like the N900 with more ram, cpu speed and a bigger screen. The N950 would have been perfect. Now I wait to see if N9 with external keyboard will work or look elsewhere. Really disappointed about this situation.

Posts: 1,225 | Thanked: 1,905 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Quezon City, Philippines
Yes, gimme gimme gimme.
I don't care about NFC or other N9 features - I want an upgrade to my N900, that I can use for the next 3-4 years.

Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Originally Posted by lma View Post
So much for that :-(

Plus, it won't be sold over here.
For what its worth Engaget suggests that Motorola may offer an unlocked bootloader late 2011.

Posts: 25 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Amsterdam
Yes, I would buy one. If only to have a proper phone like the N900 that I could use for many years to come.

As I don't see any other devices around the corner or coming in the next few years and nothing out there capable enough to do anything more then being a lousy-phone and playing angry-birds. (i-phone, android looking at you guys)

The N9 looks like a very sweet device, but, not sold in my country (or most of the big European countries) and it has no keyboard.

The keyboard, like it is on the N900, is vital for serious work on the phone. (business and professional style use cases)

Typing email longer then a few words without spending hours, writing minutes of meetings, doing remote work on servers (ssh / vnc / rd) from literally anywhere on earth is what made the N900 such a great proper smart phone usable for business people, professionals and consumers alike.

Without a follow up on the N900, I will resort back to getting myself a dumb phone... that will do weeks on a single charge again and will have clear reception everywhere.

Because seriously; the rest of the phone features are just not interesting if you need to bring a net-book or alikes with you anyways for serious work.

(I have an Android tablet and although it's way bigger then my N900 I cannot manage to reply to an email with more then a few words... it just takes too long... the virtual keyboard is not responsive enough and holding the tablets for a long time is painful and uncomfortable)

This all IMHO ofcourse

Last edited by trbs; 2011-07-09 at 16:50.

Posts: 880 | Thanked: 264 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Cambridge, UK
Bear with me whilst I make my point.
I have an HTC Desire Z, rooted, and I can fire up a chroot'ed debian or meego environment. I used VNC to load debian apps. I've not got very far with meego yet. My hope would be to have a useful/useable linux installation with some sort of native graphical library rather than vnc, so what I have is better than nothing.

The BIG problem is that whilst android has a linux kernel, it seems to me it's an appliance for running android apps, it's not really a general-purpose computing device like the nokia tablets.

So, I'd rather have a nokia n950 with fully working linux (maemo, meego etc) with a mostly useable but flawed android installation than the other way round. If I had a n900 I'd have been helping with nitdroid; it seems to have been abandoned on the n800.

If a European version of the "HTC Doubleshot" comes along, I'd be quite interested. http://www.phonearena.com/phones/HTC-Doubleshot_id5467

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Would you buy it even if N9 have better screen and bigger battary?

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Originally Posted by speculatrix View Post
Bear with me whilst I make my point.
I have an HTC Desire Z, rooted, and I can fire up a chroot'ed debian or meego environment. I used VNC to load debian apps. I've not got very far with meego yet. My hope would be to have a useful/useable linux installation with some sort of native graphical library rather than vnc, so what I have is better than nothing.
I'd be interested in knowing if you can load wxmaxima or Open Office and get, say writer, the spreadsheet or presentation working.

Hi,

This is my first post here. I voted YES. I currently own an N900, which I am very happy with, but it's getting old and slow compared to 2011-phones. And it's always been a "fat" phone. So when I saw the N950, I immediately said to myself: "This is exactly the phone I have been waiting for!" And then what, Nokia - a company that is constantly loosing market share, and suffering a major crisis - denies to sell it?!?!!?? Come on!!!! This is incredibly frustrating, and sounds extremely silly...!

I actually wrote a (rather long) mail to Stephen Elop basically telling him that I think Nokia made a HUGE mistake by not making the N950 available to the public. I tried to ask him if he thought it was a good company recovery strategy to DENY people to buy the best (probably) and most appealing phone they have made to date. This is the response I got:

"Thanks for your note.

We are very focused on bringing the right products to market that will delight our consumers. For a variety of reasons, we determined that the device you reference was only suited for limited distribution.

Regards,

Stephen"

I replied back asking him that the massive interest shown on the Internet since pictures and video of this phone have leaked perhaps could indicate that this was a (very) bad and wrong decision, but I haven't got any response on that yet. I also asked if the decision was final, but as mentioned; no response to the last mail (at least as of yet).

Damn you Nokia, I want an N950!! Why won't you sell me one??

I would recommend that everyone who's interested in buying the N950 sends Mr. Elop an e-mail telling him just that. Perhaps it could make Nokia release it to the public, perhaps not - but it's worth a shot IMO. Apparently (from pictures), they already have a nice sales box for it and everything. So it shouldn't be that much of a hassle to initiate mass production and sell it like any other phone, right..?

Send your mails to: stephen.elop (at) nokia (dot) com
(Yes, this IS his real e-mail address).

Br,
Frodo

It will make no difference. He doesn't want the n9/n950 to succeed because that would show just how wrong and incompetent his decision of going with Windows Phone 7 is. He wants it to fail to prove his point. I mean, if telling everyone that even if the n9 succeeds they will still not launch any other meego phones isn't blatant proof of that I don't know what is. Boycotting your own product by telling people how much of a dead end it is? No company does that. Sucks, but it's just how it is.

Last edited by Acidspunk; 2011-07-13 at 23:45.

Tags
hwkbftw, nokia n950, take my moneys!