Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by fatalsaint View Post
I actually think this project, the FapMan project, and similar need to find a way to integrate with each other so that app Installing/voting/commenting/all forms of user feedback become totally seamless.
Yes, I though about similar things, too, but let's get this operational and smooth, then we can think about integration (premature optimization is the root of all evil, eh ?). On another note I'm exploring the possibility of throwing a notification just like the 'updates available' one that would pop up after, say, 5 days of you using an app from testing (so we minimize the cases of forgotten feedback). Still, once we attain operational status, I welcome integration with other tools that can help streamlining the process (I will probably provide some way of command-line invocation that would take you straight to the vote dialog).

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 388 | Thanked: 842 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Finland
A unified user engagement framework
Just make sure it doesn't become unified user annoyment framework by constant prompting...

Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
(I will probably provide some way of command-line invocation that would take you straight to the vote dialog).
Dbus would be nice...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hqh For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by hqh View Post
Just make sure it doesn't become unified user annoyment framework by constant prompting...
I agree completely. Integration is nice to a point.. but we need to find the balance between Windows 7 UAC (please.. make it stop!) and current Maemo (... nothing?).

We do need feedback.. but we don't want to harass the users either.
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fatalsaint For This Useful Post:
Posts: 237 | Thanked: 193 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Brighton, UK
Apologies if I am being dense but I'm having problems using this - which seems like a great tool btw.

On trying to submit a pass on an application I get this message:
"KISStester operating in read-only mode. Please check the testing-squad mailing-list before you do something you don't want to "

I'm not on this mailing list - is this app not meant for me (developer and user), or am I failing to understand something very simple?

many thanks

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mr id For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mr id View Post
"KISStester operating in read-only mode. Please check the testing-squad mailing-list before you do something you don't want to "
Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
The initial release is set up to operate in read-only mode as the primary goal is to gather feedback about the app itself. This is just to avoid random people thumbing all over the place without understanding what's going on until we iron out the kinks.
That's by design. There is a workaround for it in the dev/testing mailing list but I don't believe atilla77 intends for people to truly be using this as a day-to-day thing just yet..
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to fatalsaint For This Useful Post:
Posts: 237 | Thanked: 193 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Brighton, UK
That's by design. There is a workaround for it in the dev/testing mailing list but I don't believe atilla77 intends for people to truly be using this as a day-to-day thing just yet..
Cool, many thanks. I'll continue to file bugs / feedback against it instead then.

The Following User Says Thank You to mr id For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mr id View Post

I'm not on this mailing list - is this app not meant for me (developer and user), or am I failing to understand something very simple?
The key here is not YET. This tool will certainly be useable by the general public, but for now, I would like to minimize potential damage by people not thoroughly familiar with the testing process and that's why the 'unlock' method was only published on the testing-squad mailing list. This failsafe will be removed when kisstester becomes stable enough to be rolled out to a wider audience.

That said, this does not meant you should not use this and report bugs and suggestions just as you did. The actual voting is just one final step in the use of this application and therefore any feedback you provide of how to make it more robust and user friendly are very welcome, and are the very reason why this app is in extras-devel even though it is nowhere near fully functional.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 122 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on May 2010 @ U.K ,Reading
i cant log in !!!!

@mokkey: do you have a maemo.org account ? Note that this is not the same as the forum login.

EDIT: Note to self - add "register on maemo.org" option.

Last edited by attila77; 2010-08-14 at 17:13.

The Following User Says Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Current thoughts on the main view:
  • The red stamp should be changed to green. A slightly leakier abstraction more more obvious.
  • Ideally some kind of table, so that my vote, karma count, timestamp, whether it's unlocked and whether it's got the requisite votes were all lined up consistently. The problem with buttons is that the centred text looks ragged.
  • Some nice monochrome icons for passed, unlocked & waiting would be quite nice; IMHO.

The Following User Says Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:

Tags
extras qa, extras-testing, kisstester