Notices

Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
For god's shake keep things simple its an all purpose audio recoder specialy ment to handle call recordings , video screen recording seemed like marketing/off topic ***** ???(screen recoder).. So now orchettie getting the fat ?? Also add accelerometer light camera fm proximity data pakets ip cellular brodcasts bluetooth names wifi pakets etc etc as symlinks or user configurable symlynks to related apps if thats too much work . i think thread title should be renamed to announce orchettie an all purpose recoder.
Now i am trolling.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nokiabot For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by nokiabot View Post
For god's shake keep things simple [ ... ]
Yeah, I think the general consensus here is that video should definitely not be a part of the Orecchiette app. Time to break out another pasta...

Along those lines, I'm beginning to think that it might be better to break the phone recording feature out of Orecchiette as well. I'd kind of like to make another try at turning that into a status menu widget of some sort; particularly if I can get some indicator onto the status bar itself that recording is going on...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Hmm. So it looks like I am the only one here thinking that combining features is a good thing. Pity.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Hmm. So it looks like I am the only one here thinking that combining features is a good thing. Pity.
No just you.

All in one, but not saying that have this on Orecchiette and other app just for video canīt coexist.

Greetings.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to s4br0s0 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Ok, I stand corrected -- multiple apps is perhaps not the general consensus!

The way I've been thinking about it, I see the benefits of the two approaches as follows. For a single centralized app:
  • Only one UI to learn
  • One centralized location for all recording preferences (storage location, file naming scheme, etc.)
  • Easier to set up more complicated recording schemes (e.g., better control over audio and video source choices, encoding methods, etc.), as all the GStreamer options are collected into a single app.
  • Easier for me to code

For multiple apps:
  • Simpler, more focussed UIs
  • Entirely different UI schemes -- e.g., a screen recorder app would best be started and stopped without having a presence on the screen itself, if possible; or perhaps by automagically editing itself out of the recorded video. (Although this could be done in a centralized app as well, at the cost of a bit more UI complexity.) And, as I have learned, recording phone calls really does call for a completely different UI itself...
  • Possibly easier maintenance of diverging preferences (different storage locations for audio and video, different naming schemes, etc.)

I tend to favor the all-in-one approach, mainly because of the "easier for me to code" feature. But multiple apps aren't too hard, either. (And it's pretty easy to put all the shared code between multiple recording apps into a library, so they wouldn't take up more space either.)

Are there other benefits / drawbacks to the two approaches that I've missed? (And maybe this deserves a poll of its own?)

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Not necessary - as said, I was split in between the two possible approach vectors ( ) myself. But, considering:

Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
Well, to be honest, the reason why I was able to throw it together so quickly is that Orecchiette is at the moment something of a gui front-end for calls to GStreamer. (...) Certainly, using Orecchiette here allows you to take advantage of Pichlo's work on file naming, and (once I get things working properly) should let you control both video and audio encoding formats. (And yeah, I don't see why we couldn't just throw in options for the front and back video camera sources too... GStreamer can be a fantastically powerful tool. )
and...

Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
The way I've been thinking about it, I see the benefits of the two approaches as follows. For a single centralized app:
  • Only one UI to learn
  • One centralized location for all recording preferences (storage location, file naming scheme, etc.)
  • Easier to set up more complicated recording schemes (e.g., better control over audio and video source choices, encoding methods, etc.), as all the GStreamer options are collected into a single app.
  • Easier for me to code

Especially, the "Easier to code" part, which means that you spend more time in coding actually useful thing, less on duplicating UI's (without any loss of functionality for end users). So, personally, I'm pivoting into the "all in one" approach.

BTW, I really hope for the GUI-less auto recording of calls, at some point. If you manage to throw it into some status-menu widget, that would be awesome, but even before, a working, daemon'ized thing would be incredibly useful.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Humm , i would like to ask again what video recording is doing in orchettie an all purpose audio recording app ? Its like adding troch to pierogi .I just fear fat programs would slow down the device as the multitasking window is like launcher for me: orchettie should take care of audio features maybe adding things like translation voice changing recoding audio when music is playing a launching programs via voice etc and another program for a universal video recoder ...... Just my concerns.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nokiabot For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Originally Posted by nokiabot View Post
Humm , i would like to ask again what video recording is doing in orchettie an all purpose audio recording app ? Its like adding troch to pierogi .I just fear fat programs would slow down the device as the multitasking window is like launcher for me: orchettie should take care of audio features maybe adding things like translation voice changing recoding audio when music is playing a launching programs via voice etc and another program for a universal video recoder ...... Just my concerns.
Quick reply...
Well... It's like asking why GStreamer handles both video and audio, even though they are arguably different kinds of information. Somebody may wish to record a screen-video with voice-audio included-attached. Somebody may wish to create a plugin for GStreamer which would convert audio to video, or video to audio - if it is possible.
Yes, keeping UI simple and light is a concern. But there is no well-defined line between video and audio. And there are many places where they go side-by-side.
Best wishes.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Per aspera ad astra...

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Wikiwide For This Useful Post:
Humm my concern were simple as i actually use them so if a call recoding op or anything would consume more bandwith then intended it woud be a pita to use them on a already bogged device like having couple of microbs open an instance of operamini music player filemanager pierogi radio image editor mypaint ebook etc ... At most times so actually i am worried about perfomance and startup times of the program . Having a bootload of features is always welcome

The Following User Says Thank You to nokiabot For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Come on, nokiabot, having the feature in the app does not necessarily mean that your screen is going to get recorded when you make a call. Although, you might have a point. If a phone call comes at just the wrong moment while you are playing with the Orecchiette UI, the result may be that the screen will get recorded along with the audio. Perhaps something for Copernicus to consider?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:

Tags
nokia n900, pasta, recording