Poll: Have you had charging or USB problems with your N900
Poll Options
Have you had charging or USB problems with your N900

Posts: 579 | Thanked: 286 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Australia
like i said before. this reminds me of the n95 when i got it on release day. it was falling apart. about 1 year later it was fine with the new batches of n95.

we are beta testers once again

Last edited by felbutss; 2010-02-24 at 04:01.

Posts: 18 | Thanked: 14 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ anchorage, ak
Well, maybe in a year I'll be able to get one I am truly sad that my first post was to say I didn't have an n900 anymore. I didn't have anything to say yet but in case someone from nokia ever reads this far into the thread, I want them to know they are not just alienating customers who have no recourse. They're driving would-be customers away and the longer they keep it up, the more chance there is of someone else coming out with something I find acceptable. The n900 wasn't ideal (I could barely type while I had headphones plugged in, for example) but I love the fact that it's based on technology that's already around rather than reinventing the wheel. I was pretty sure I wouldn't be able to send it back after I'd done ssh -X server xclock and had it work perfectly. I almost didn't send it back, actually. My wife told me she was sick of me saying "wow this <insert awesome thing the n900 does> is the coolest thing ever. I sure hope the port doesn't fall out and I can't do this anymore."

In all liklihood, in a year I'd end up getting whatever nokia has planned for this year. I doubt they'd design its charging port so poorly again and if it hadn't been such an important part, I wouldn't have sent it back. Whatever horrible flaws in the next product (they all have them after all), I can probably live with them

Posts: 579 | Thanked: 286 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Australia
Well so far these are the problems I have with my n900 physical wise after 3 months of use:
  • Slider is getting a little wobbly and stiff
    Slider is scratching my device
    Screen has a creak when I tap it on the top right.
    Bright spot on the LSD
    The power button has started to go a little in the device. Harder to press.
    Left part of volume key is also a little loose and harder to press.

I can deal with everything above because im used to nokia sloppy workmanship but if my Usb port breaks. That would be it for me. really hope it doesnt.

Posts: 52 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ New Zealand
Originally Posted by felbutss View Post
Screen has a creak when I tap it on the top right.

Yeah I have that too. It feels like the screen pushes away from the casing and you get a "click"

I'm absolutely FURIOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My USB port came off when pulling out the cable. Sent it off to regeneris which are MPDs repair company and heard nothing. Just phoned them they said it wasn't going to be repaired and is being sent back! Apparently the pcb is damaged also and this isn't covered by the warranty!

Surely my phone is still covered by MPDs insurance though?

Called MPD and they have noted my problem and I'm awaiting a call back............

F*****G NOKIA BUILD A PHONE PROPERLY YOU ******S!

The Following User Says Thank You to b15cu1t For This Useful Post:
Posts: 311 | Thanked: 180 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ London
Originally Posted by b15cu1t View Post
I'm absolutely FURIOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My USB port came off when pulling out the cable. Sent it off to regeneris which are MPDs repair company and heard nothing. Just phoned them they said it wasn't going to be repaired and is being sent back! Apparently the pcb is damaged also and this isn't covered by the warranty!

Surely my phone is still covered by MPDs insurance though?

Called MPD and they have noted my problem and I'm awaiting a call back............

F*****G NOKIA BUILD A PHONE PROPERLY YOU ******S!
If this continues we should start considering threatening them with a lawsuit. My device is at nokia with the same problem, if I do not get it repaired/exchanged I will definitely go down that road. I have never ever experienced anything like this - ridiculous. We should also start making this public. Public Watchdog on the BBC would surely be interested, also Im sure some EU institution would be very much interested to know what Nokia is doing to their holy warranty system!

For the time being I trust that Nokia will resolve this. This can change in a matter of days, depending on what they choose to do with my broken N900!

The Following User Says Thank You to Haus3r For This Useful Post:
Think I'm going to start putting comments on their press releases as well so everyone can see!

today is the day i find out if mine is going to be or has been repaire i took it to a care point on monday they told me to call them thursday however i want to know now really what they are going to do as i have had to purchase another fone to use if they do not repair my phone purchased in december at launch then i will be contacting nokia directly plus speaking to bbc watchdog and also speaking to citizens advice or some other organisation that can give me some consumer advice i will not let this rest

The Following User Says Thank You to ddwwf1 For This Useful Post:
I'm going to kick some ***!

Whats the watchdog contact number?

Posts: 270 | Thanked: 170 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Atlanta, GA + Oxford UK
Originally Posted by Haus3r View Post
If this continues we should start considering threatening them with a lawsuit. My device is at nokia with the same problem, if I do not get it repaired/exchanged I will definitely go down that road. I have never ever experienced anything like this - ridiculous. We should also start making this public. Public Watchdog on the BBC would surely be interested, also Im sure some EU institution would be very much interested to know what Nokia is doing to their holy warranty system!

For the time being I trust that Nokia will resolve this. This can change in a matter of days, depending on what they choose to do with my broken N900!
As you are in the UK. We should keep in contact. The more of us taking this to court together the more chance we have of getting a real reaction.

The Following User Says Thank You to HumanPenguin For This Useful Post:

Tags
bad design, broken, charging, failure, hardware, loose, microusb, microusb port, n900, nokia, part, port, repair, return, surface mount, usb, usb port, warranty