Consistency is a basic usability-demand. But e.g. in apps a push from the side bezels goes to the home-screen and in the launcher the same gesture opens the notifications.

And that is not only inconsistent, but it also makes it harder to go from the launcher to the home, if the launcher has many pages. E.g. if your launcher has 5 pages and you are on page 3. To go back to the home-screen, you have to multiple swipe up to the home-screen or multiple swipe down to the last launcher-page to use the pulley-menu there. With the known gesture you could go very fast to the home-screen from every launcher-screen.

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
I am not sure I understand your explanation correctly?

On my device the notifications open always by swiping from the bottom bezel, regardless of whether I am in application or launcher screen.

The only exception is if I am using the browser in landscape orientation, when the gestures are rotated with the application.
Strange enough, the browser is the only application that behaves this way in landscape mode?

The Following User Says Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
The only exception is if I am using the browser in landscape orientation, when the gestures are rotated with the application.
Strange enough, the browser is the only application that behaves this way in landscape mode?
It's that way now also on Documents app. Really confusing that Jolla chose to implement it this way, when 3rd party apps supporting landscape don't change the swipe location.

by 3rd party apps you are talking about Android apps or? I guess thats a bug of alien dalvik, not exposing orientation to SailfishOS.

I think it's quite logical that way. When you rotate the phone it's physical bottom changed.

Posts: 231 | Thanked: 143 times | Joined on Feb 2012 @ Tallinn, Estonia

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by Morpog View Post
by 3rd party apps you are talking about Android apps or? I guess thats a bug of alien dalvik, not exposing orientation to SailfishOS.
Also for native apps; for example fingerterm jhas a nice portrait mode, but the swipe directions do not change as using browser.
Another example is the (native) game "chro.mono" which is done in landscape mode, yet does not change swipes.

I think it's quite logical that way. When you rotate the phone it's physical bottom changed.
I agree, but that should work similarily regardless of what's the application you are using atm.

Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi

I wasn't even thinking about Android apps, but they seem to be operating the same as Jolla browser.

Posts: 115 | Thanked: 185 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Spain
As I have seen, there's one main inconsistency in this topic, since Naamankajärvi:

-If you hold the handset in landscape mode and open a landscape-oriented app (e.g. browser or terminal), push controls will remain "portrait".

-If you open those apps in portrait mode and rotate the phone to landscape, push controls will do too.

Originally Posted by Rauha View Post
It's that way now also on Documents app. Really confusing that Jolla chose to implement it this way, when 3rd party apps supporting landscape don't change the swipe location.
WebCat browser does .