Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
@travla,

Thanks for the info. I was thinking that the only reason why I would (now) install the CSSU would be for the modest improvements in modest especially the option to jump to the *previous* message after deleting a message, instead of jumping to the next (older) message.

Oh well, I'll wait then

Posts: 1,103 | Thanked: 368 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ india, indore
i am also in the midst of trouble, and have not installed CSSU as yet

i am happy with normal N900 at the moment

get your smooth live wallpaper today
My YouTube videos

Install it and maybe some other nice Patches like Kernel Power v49 and Karams Speedpatch and you will love your n900 like never before.

Maybe wait a few days when a new CSSU update arrive because the last two times there were one or two bugfix releases the next day.

So use something like Backupmenu to create a full backup and try it. You'll see CSSU is great.

The Following User Says Thank You to SirSocke For This Useful Post:
Posts: 50 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Tahiti
Go ahead.
The risk is really minimal.
I've been using it since the beginning and everytime there is an upgrade, my phone seems like it just got a boost and improvement.

I have never had any problem with CSSU.

The Following User Says Thank You to renowong For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 695 | Thanked: 308 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ originally pakistan ,now in china
N900 is incomplete without cssu,it is more than just a nokia firmware update ,every one should test it
to get rid of it simply uninstall the cssu catalogue and packages ,,
simple & easy !

Posts: 762 | Thanked: 395 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Helsinki
If you can manage to back up your personal data in one way or another (my contacts and calendar are all synced from the web) there's really no reason you shouldn't give it a spin.

Portrait desktop is in my view the #1 feature / function, but the e-mail app might begin to crash a lot. My crashes always happen in the background, though so its never erased an e-mail I'm writing, for example.

Give it a go! Just read the instructions well before actually doing the installation: http://wiki.maemo.org/Community_SSU#Installation

And even more important page: http://wiki.maemo.org/Community_SSU/Installation_FAQ

Please read my blog: "PeakMobility", which deals with MeeGo/Maemo, Windows Phone and mobile technology in general from a hedonistic user point-of-view: http://peakmob.blogspot.com/

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cjp For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
@cjp,

The problem I see with it is that, AFAICT the main feature of CSSU is the portrait mode, and this gets most of the efforts. Portrait mode is irrelevant to me

If it was really all about bug fixing (as opposed to bringing in new features), then I'd be happy to install it.

I may investigate if there is the possibility of selecting parts of the CSSU to install (e.g. allow portait mode, but leave my modest untouched, etc.)

If anybody can already answer that I'd by happy. Otherwise I'll take a long look some day (i.e. after I've completed the 1000+ things I have still pending..

Posts: 18 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Finland
I have been waiting stable version of CSSU from the day I heard about it. This is because I dont want to mess my phone again with nonstable releases..

However last week I went to our local Nokia flagship store to try out new N9. I liked the phone very much but I think that is still not for me. Main reason is the lack of physical qwerty keyboard and second is too high price tag.

Since that my N900 feels old and needs quickly some new fresh updates. So I got enough courage to install CSSU. Now I'm again happy N900 owner. I still hope we will get soon stable release. Does anyone know when that would happen?

I'm very glad we still have this kind of community to support our phones. Even there has been a lot of set backs from Nokia. With CSSU our loved N900 gets even longer life time. Big thanks all who has been involved with this great project!

The Following User Says Thank You to Opa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 397 | Thanked: 241 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Melbourne, Australia
Hey guys, I finally jumped in and installed CSSU. I did it on a reflashed device (flashed rootfs and emmc). It was the first time I reflashed, and it went very well.

CSSU installed effortlessly, the CSSU Wiki was very helpful, and the process was easy to follow.

Enjoying it so far, the e-mail crashing problem is evident right from the beginning, but the e-mail client seems to restart itself. I'm going to find the patchfreemangordon posted and seee if it makes a difference.

Good luck to any other wanting to give it a go.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to travla For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by travla View Post
Hey guys, I finally jumped in and installed CSSU. I did it on a reflashed device (flashed rootfs and emmc). It was the first time I reflashed, and it went very well.

CSSU installed effortlessly, the CSSU Wiki was very helpful, and the process was easy to follow.

Enjoying it so far, the e-mail crashing problem is evident right from the beginning, but the e-mail client seems to restart itself. I'm going to find the patchfreemangordon posted and seee if it makes a difference.

Good luck to any other wanting to give it a go.
I also finally installed it. I had an email crash when I pressed the "show pictures" button. Love CSSU so far. The timer on the camera is also a great addition.

The Following User Says Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post: