Posts: 1,702 | Thanked: 4,752 times | Joined on Apr 2018 @ Helsinki, Finland.
Here are problems I have had each and every time I have installed CSSU after reflash. I will describe the procedure.

After I have reflashed N900 with the latest pr1.3 global and also emmc vanilla I have added the neaded repositories by clicking this link

http://maemo.cloud-7.de/maemo5/et_al...rf_all.install
joerg_rw

plus I have added the extras repository

After that I go to this site

https://wiki.maemo.org/Community_SSU

and click the link for installing testing which takes to here

http://repository.maemo.org/communit...mantle.install

and opens HAM and starts the installation.

1. The first problem

When the process goes on I get into a situation I am not absolutely sure what I should do. There opens the xterm window and I get instruction to close HAM and any other window and hit enter. But when I go back to close the HAM there is update check going on which finds cssu updates plus some other.

Should I first update those and then proceed with the opened xterm installation window or close the HAM without updating the packages? I don't know because there is no instructions in the xterm window which way to go like "don't mind of the updates in HAM" or "Update first everything in HAM".

Either way I do it seems that I can get the installation process to work. But...

2. The second problem

After I have used the fresh installed CSSU for some days I get yellow square blinking for updates. Why it takes so long to get them to appear? Well that is not really the problem but the problem is when I try to install them I get the error "could not find community-ssu-enabler".

After bumped into this so many times I finally made a thread "community-ssu-enabler" with a link to the repository where to find it. But there is no hint which one should be installed. OK, I will install the latest. It installs fine.

3. The third problem

After this I don't see anymore the latest community ssu updates which were offered to me before. Instead there is an update to update ssu-enabler to the testing version (which I had already but which wasn't working with updates). Now I can update to testing again but I do not get the updates installed which I am occasionally offered.

4. Fourth problem

I have sometimes installed the ssu Appdownloader and with that I sometimes lose the ability to install anything (it just happens sometimes and then I can't open HAM and Appdownloader does not show any applications so loses access to repositories) - unless I have installed faster application manager which still works in these cases.

Questions:

1. Could someone correct me if I have done something wrong?

2. Could someone explain why the updates are offered only after a while or is there a way to get them as soon as I have installed the CSSU Testing? Hitting update in HAM does not show them.

3. Should I or can I first install CSSU Stable and after that the testing version (if that would correct the ssu-enabler problem)?

4. Should I first install the updates offered in HAM while installing SSU and then proceed with instructions given in the opened xterm window? Or not?

5. Do I need to install the CSSU Appdownloader and if so why, because it always still opens the HAM to install them (I can obviously use only HAM)?

I have now constant problems with my cellular connection (possibly motherboard problem) and suddenly my modest stopped receiving IMAP mails which worked before. I tried to reflash but it didn't help. I recall that it may be that I got the mail working probably after the cssu updates which I now do not get installed. I would like to be able to test those would help with the mail.

I have also found a thread about IMAP and Modest which had something about apt-get install tinymail-camel* with devel repo to fix IMAP mail problem which is related to SSL but could not get it fixed.

I really need to get this device working if it still is possible and I really would like to do all the installing correct.

Master of not knowing (active)

For me it is possible to get lost in any case (active)

Learning to fall from high (DONE)

Learning to code with BASIC (WIP)

The Following User Says Thank You to Maemish For This Useful Post:
And I would like to use CSSU thumb but have only once been able to install it and never again. Always stops the installation process and I think it was related to community-ssu-enabler.

Edit: Was now able to install CSSU Thumb but I needed to first install the latest community-ssu-enabler that is in the repository where I have link in my community-ssu-enabler thread.

Last edited by Maemish; 2020-04-12 at 17:18.

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
So a question about your email problems; I thought your email just stopped working, like you had changed nothing and the next day it just did not work any longer? In that case it could be a provider problem, so apparently startmail had changed something in their end.

However now reading this I am not sure about it, did you mean that after a reflash and reinstrall you cannot make mail work any longer? (which in case would probably mean that the problem is not startmail but your device...?)

It stopped working before. I reflashed hoping it would fix it but it did not. But this thread could stick with this installation stuff.

About community-ssu-enabler: I have mentioned that in my blog post that's linked in my signature.

The Following User Says Thank You to nonsuch For This Useful Post:
Happened again. Came the latest updates to install. It starts but can't find community-ssu-enabler and I miss my updates.If I install it it updates it to something else than wotking one.

Possibly solved. Won't change the title for this thread though cause there are problems in instructions and I can not be sure the right procedure to do everything right. But if I enable only the Nokia mirror repos I get some updates, then installing cssu stable some, then testing etc. But I need to enable them one by one and search updates to get them.