Posts: 423 | Thanked: 478 times | Joined on Sep 2014 @ Netherlands
My Jolla lasts all day when it comes to battery, sometimes 1,5 days. And I do use it a lot during the day, including a few Android apps/1 Android game. So the battery is as good as that of the Note 4 in my experience. Build quality is also very good IMHO. Old-fashioned? Yeah, maybe a bit. But not nearly enough for me to dislike the phone. The only thing that could've been better hardware-wise IMHO is the camera though I don't really care that much about it since I live by the fact that a smartphone shouldn't be used as a camera device anyway. Nothing beats my DSLR.

Even so: how is it possible to compete with the Note 4? The Note 4 is more expensive to begin with. That's like saying Hyundai needs to up their quality because Lamborghini has better quality. Totally apples to oranges. Not to mention the fact that the Note 4 is a new device while the Jolla phone is a bit older. So even if you'd compare a Note to it, then at least the Note 2 or 3 would be a better comparison (though still apples to oranges when it comes to price).
If you want to compare the Jolla phone, pick something from the same league. Jolla phone is a mid-range phone, Note 4 is high-end and Moto G is low-end.

Last edited by vistaus; 2014-10-06 at 19:33.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to vistaus For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by bluefoot View Post
You take most of what I say out of context; replies to someone else's previous post - which I quoted. Therefore some of what you say is not really worth responding to. The rest seems to be the usual mix of outrage, denial and ad hominem which corresponds with any criticism of the Jolla or Sailfish.
If that is so, then I apologise. I responded to this one post of yours as I thought it was all written by you. It is difficult to know sometimes if you are quoting somebody else's posts if you do not explicitely mark it so.

I do not think the abovementioned qualities can be applied to me. I myself have found that the Jolla device and SailfishOS fit my needs perfectly, and just am curious on how apparentlly different the needs of people can be...
Of course there can be criticism where it is due, for example the camera HW of the Jolla device is really poor quality.

But, yes, fortunately or unfortunately I do own a Jolla device. I consider it to be of a fairly poor quality, and people's reaction to it, whether iphone fanboy or Linux beardie has generally been that it looks and feels bad and seems old fashioned. I can't say that I disagree with these sentiments.
Okay, You do have experience on it then, your describing the properties of it just did sound like secondhand opinions since they are so far from my own experience
And as for people's reaction to that, also I do find it fairly odd as I have had exactly the opposite response; there has been just one friend who has thought of the device as not being attractive (an Android user with HTC device, non-IT-geek-type guy)

I'd be shocked if battery fit issues were quite as bad with the Lumias, especially since most of them have non-removable batteries, but as I have no experience with them I'll bow to your greater knowledge.
You bet! I guess you do not have so many WP devices in India as they mainly have any notable market share in Finland, but the HW is remarkably flaky in those devices.
Some models do have removable batteries, BTW, you are now probably thinking of the older WP7 models which were all with non-removable batteries.
Both battery problems and "sudden death" syndrome is fairly common with Lumias. Fortunately so common, that when something like that happens you just return the device to the seller and are usually given a replacement on-site.
The only thing where those devices shine is the camera. If only that HW was abailable in the Jolla device... Otherwice they are fairly unusable, you just cannot do anything intresting with them.

IAll but one of the Linux enthusiasts / coders / app-writers I know are getting a Samsung Galaxy Note 4 when it's released. Why? It offers a large, high resolution screen that's far easier to work on when away from the desk, and an all day battery. This despite some of them despising Google or not liking Android. The lone exception is retaining an iphone because the company they work for does most of their business through iOS apps and it's not convenient for them to use anything else as their primary device. Even the guy who primarily uses obscure command-line only (no GUI) Linux distros for his work and hobby projects is getting one. At first I was amazed that they were all stampeding towards such a large, unwieldy and very expensive device (some of them are very tight with money) ... but it makes perfect sense from a usability and productivity standpoint. The current Jolla phone is anything but a coder's friend in the current marketplace.
That's a tablet really. Not a phone.
I have Nexus7 for that use.

IIf so many of the people who've bought Jollas are so satisfied, how do you explain the minimal numbers of app downloads? If we are to assume that there have definitely been 10k sales, there is no other way to explain it but an extremely high rate of attrition or abandonment, or non-primary / occasional device use. Many of the voices that were active pre-launch or post launch here (or on together.jolla) have completely disappeared or have moved on. If everyone's a happy customer, surely there'd be way more downloads and way more activity? There simply isn't, however.
What is minimal? I have not really looked at the stats for downloading but just now as I checked, the most downloaded application is the android compability layer.
That has been downloaded over 25k times. I'd call the quite a lot of downloads, hmm? And "file browser", over 10k downloads?
( I have neither of those, BTW, but instead I have installed lots of other SW to my device, most of what's not in any "app store" but available as source packages.... that I compile on my device. )

The Following User Says Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,269 | Thanked: 3,961 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Brazil
Wow, so Jolla should bring a smartphone as cheap as Android One phones and as hi-spec as SG Note 4 ?!?! Or else somebody won't buy Jolla ?
-- My blog about mobile & scientific computing ---
Sailfish : Sony Xperia X, Gemini, Jolla, Jolla C, Jolla Tablet, Nexus 4. Nokia N9, N900, N810.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to rcolistete For This Useful Post:
Yeah, and don't forget the other ends of the market. Mozilla has a $25 FFOS phone in India so Jolla should compete with a phone that cheap as well. And they should also compete with an overpriced phone in the luxury market w/ for example that BB Porsche thing. And of course also a gold edition of the current mid-range Jolla for slightly higher than the normal price for those who want a faux luxury phone.
And don't get me started on accesories.....

The Following User Says Thank You to vistaus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 702 | Thanked: 2,059 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK
All they need is a Porsche Designed Other Half with a massive logo costing $1000. That requires even less effort than Blackberry. They're smart cookies Jolla.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to aegis For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by aegis View Post
All they need is a Porsche Designed Other Half with a massive logo costing $1000. That requires even less effort than Blackberry. They're smart cookies Jolla.
I hadn't even thought of that, smart thinking!

Originally Posted by rcolistete View Post
Wow, so Jolla should bring a smartphone as cheap as Android One phones and as hi-spec as SG Note 4 ?!?! Or else somebody won't buy Jolla ?
did someone say that?

i rather thought it was the other way around: Jolla should [not] bring a smartphone as cheap as SG Note 4 phones and as hi-spec as Android One.

yes, flipping your words is an exageration, but it is much closer to the essence of the problem.

Posts: 343 | Thanked: 819 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Paris, France
I am not sure I understand the thread recently.
Jolla is definitely a very very small company. There is no by any point of view a possibility to compare Jolla with Samsung or any other existing players of that market (even those Chinese companies which are way bigger).

So they do not pretend selling mass of phones in India but they propose an alternative for those interested. They expand gradually from market to other markets and I think this is the right direction. They expand the OS also through installation on Android device.

It seems some are discussing about Jolla not having a chance to conquer India. Yes I confirm they have no possibility for that and they know it as well.
But if they can sell some thousands phones, this is good for them. They do not need to sell (yet) millions of device to be a success.

They have probably studied the market before selecting a price tag. They know that they cannot compete on the price nor on the marketing but they hope that with the help of the community they can have some nice promoters in India, some more developers...etc...

I believe they do a pretty good job! Having some partner in HK and India is not that easy.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to P@t For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,139 | Thanked: 8,156 times | Joined on Feb 2013 @ From my Gabriola Island hermitage, near the Edge of the World
Weeeellll....for a company starting up it is difficult....expecting Jolla to come out of the gate with not just their flagship device but an affordable low end and high end model as well...is alot of expectation

..on the norm I do agree with the sanity in not putting all your chips on "red 31" in roulette. Hedge your bets...play the odds...and entice the low to high end consumers.
It works.
I do it.
I do work for those who have little....to those who have alot.
It's a smart model.

Owner of :
1-n770 (in retirement), 3-n800's / 3-n810's (still in daily use), 5-n900's ((3 are flawless, 1 loose usb ( parts), 1 has no telephony (parts))
3-nexus 5's : 1 w/ Floko Pie 9.1 (running beautifully) waiting for Stable Droid 10 rom, 1 w/ ̶Ubuntu Touch, 1 with Maru OS (intend maemo leste when ready)

1/2 - neo900 pre- "purchased" in 2013. N̶o̶w̶ ̶A̶w̶a̶i̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶r̶e̶f̶u̶n̶d̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶c̶e̶s̶s̶ ̶l̶a̶s̶t̶ ̶f̶e̶w̶ ̶y̶e̶a̶r̶s̶ - neo900 start up declared officially dead -
Lost invested funds.

PIMP MY N8X0 (Idiot's Guide and a video walkthrough)http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94294
THE LOST GRONMAYER CATALOGShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ight=gronmayer
N8X0 VIDEO ENCODING THE EASY WAYhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ght=mediacoder
242gb ON N800http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=90634
THE PAIN-FREE MAEMO DEVELOPMENT LIVE DISTRO-ISO FOR THE NOOB TO THE PROhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=95567
AFFORDABLE MASS PRODUCTION FOR MAEMO PARTShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=93325

Meateo balloons now available @ Dave999's Meateo Emporium

The other thing that people seem to forget is that India is big when it comes to internet and there are a lot of PC/smartphone developers out there. So even with a relatively small amount of Jolla phones sold we can still welcome some nice new devs into the community (which may also mean more apps!).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vistaus For This Useful Post: