Active Topics

Posts: 1,605 | Thanked: 1,601 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Southern California
Me thinks Nokia should start a discussion:

http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/31628/98/

Wouldn't it be cool to have something like iTunes/WMP for the ITs?

-T.

Posts: 165 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Boston MA USA
Originally Posted by timsamoff View Post
Wouldn't it be cool to have something like iTunes/WMP for the ITs?
You mean a DRM infection vector? Nothing personal, but no thanks... ;-)

I don't really see the point. What is the IT missing for music playing?

We already have canola, rhapsody, and a couple other media players.

Posts: 919 | Thanked: 37 times | Joined on Aug 2006 @ /dev/null
no no no no... did I say no?
DRM SUX :P

Flash player support on the 770/n800 is very poor, now Adobe wants to release another poorly supported on linux application?
will run on Windows XP and Vista, and Mac OS X 10.4 and 10.5 on launch, with support for Linux to follow later.
So this means it probably won't be supported by nokia until the n900 gets a fw update. ( not a typo, I mean n900 )

The video performance of mplayer is superior when compared to the n800's flash player. Playing the downloaded flash video files with mplayer on the 770 is pretty good. Flash player on the n800 is barely watchable. And, did I mention that mplayer performs even better on the n800?

If this new media player is not supported by the n800 I will complain to my favorite video sites if they require this new drm^h^h^h software.

Yes, DRM sucks. But, that won't last for too long (in my opinion). Look at what hapened with EMI and iTunes!

But, I'm guessing that few people here actually use iTunes/iPod... That's a shame. It is a benchmark on how a media player should work. It is seamless between home PC and portable device: syncing, metadata, playhead location, media management, UI, etc.

That is what is missing on the IT.

Tim

Yes, DRM sucks. But, that won't last for too long (in my opinion). Look at what hapened with EMI and iTunes!

But, I'm guessing that few people here actually use iTunes/iPod... That's a shame. It is a benchmark on how a media player should work. It is seamless between home PC and portable device: syncing, metadata, playhead location, media management, UI, etc.

Tim
Well, I don't think I would mind that much to use iTunes, problem is just that Apple doesn't allow me to (no Linux version).

To be fair alot of the Linux media players actually does this aswell. The missing part is the store part. But that's being solved at the moment, just not with any of the DRM based stores.

Last edited by Lithorus; 2007-04-19 at 13:30.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA

Tim
Eh, I'll stick with Sansa, thanks. Their latest model is really sweet.

(Personally, I don't care if my media manager/player has a store. I just use the other functions.)

-T.