Originally Posted by Thesandlord View Post
After seeing all my friends with their iDevices, and about 20% jailbroken (and I supposedly went to a nerd high school), I don't really think the tablets have anything over the iPhone aside from true multitasking. Unless you are a serious Linux person or IT guy who needs access 100% to all the tools, a jailbroken iPhone gives you access to a Unix terminal and you can fool around with it. The dev community is just so large that any advantage that the openness of competitors provides is just lost.

I for one was amazed at the gaming capabilities of the iPhone. I always thought there were some stupid games on there that no one played, and I loved my GBA emulator on my N810. Then I saw that Assassins Creed game, and it looked and played like a PS1 game. And it also had a GBA emulator.

Even without jailbreaking, I am not too sure how important "open" platforms are...
The benefit of open platforms is usually being able to do what you want without restrictions. A jailbroken iPhone is that to a certain extent (until Apple tries to clampp down on it with another one of their updates). Another benefit is a possible wider audience. In a few years as Android gets more establish through more providers and more phones you'll see app development explode on them like it did for Windows. Apple's only way to combat that would be to let their OS get ported or create a wider range of devices and price points (Which they seem to be trying with the $99 iphone). But historically Apple prefers carving its own niche and maintaining it for image rather than market domination.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
But historically Apple prefers carving its own niche and maintaining it for image rather than market domination.
I'd say that used to be its preference. It clearly dominates in the portable-music space and I don't see it letting go. In fact, I see leveraging it to expand dominance into ever-broader markets.

Originally Posted by GeraldKo View Post
I'd say that used to be its preference. It clearly dominates in the portable-music space and I don't see it letting go. In fact, I see leveraging it to expand dominance into ever-broader markets.
Yeah that's why I said historically. It'll be interesting to see how it plays out on smartphones though since it's not just media any longer. It's GPS, chat, twitter, etc. etc.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 1,213 | Thanked: 356 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ California and Virginia
Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
The benefit of open platforms is usually being able to do what you want without restrictions.
Not really. There are still many restrictions on the Maemo platform. We have a DSP, yet not much use out of it. Grahpics chip = ??? We still can't lock the stupid homescreen without complicated hacks. The open environment requires one to install a completely different operating system to run a office program, to say the least.

I know most people here, including me, are the type that like to find problems and solve them. I would be bored with a iDevice... That is the real reason.

This "less restrictions" is just a cover up for "I like to tinker for the sake of tinkering"

www.ezschool.com - The best online educational experience.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Thesandlord For This Useful Post:
Posts: 258 | Thanked: 176 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Paris France
Not really. There are still many restrictions on the Maemo platform. We have a DSP, yet not much use out of it. Grahpics chip = ??? We still can't lock the stupid homescreen without complicated hacks. The open environment requires one to install a completely different operating system to run a office program, to say the least.

I know most people here, including me, are the type that like to find problems and solve them. I would be bored with a iDevice... That is the real reason.

This "less restrictions" is just a cover up for "I like to tinker for the sake of tinkering"
Every word in your message is pure wisdom.
Nits have some advantages over iPhone, iPhone have advantages too ... the way you balance it depends only on your needs or your desires, nothing more.
That's why, if you can afford it, i recommand using both, because the N810 can makes many things that are not easy or even possible on the iPhone.

The Following User Says Thank You to totololo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 258 | Thanked: 176 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Paris France
And why is this topic displayed improperly without infos about the numbers of messages, the last message ... ???
Edit : now, it works !

Last edited by totololo; 2009-06-26 at 10:51.

Posts: 274 | Thanked: 143 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ Romania
After seeing all my friends with their iDevices, and about 20% jailbroken (and I supposedly went to a nerd high school), I don't really think the tablets have anything over the iPhone aside from true multitasking. Unless you are a serious Linux person or IT guy who needs access 100% to all the tools, a jailbroken iPhone gives you access to a Unix terminal and you can fool around with it. The dev community is just so large that any advantage that the openness of competitors provides is just lost.

I for one was amazed at the gaming capabilities of the iPhone. I always thought there were some stupid games on there that no one played, and I loved my GBA emulator on my N810. Then I saw that Assassins Creed game, and it looked and played like a PS1 game. And it also had a GBA emulator.

Even without jailbreaking, I am not too sure how important "open" platforms are...
true and sad. the NIT was here first.

anyway try both. you can just resale your iphone (it should hold it's value if you buy it SH) if you don't like it.

Posts: 1,359 | Thanked: 717 times | Joined on May 2009 @ ...standing right behind you...
So, to try to sum it up then.....

iPod Touch:

Pros:
- Faster
- Very active support from major app developers
- Great looking, and playing, games
- Easy-to-achieve full MS document compatibility
- Outlook compatible
- Faster internet browsing
- Developed applications are generally very stable

Cons:
- Has to be jailbroken to get close to being 'open'
- No Physical keyboard
- No multi-tasking
- No option for expanding memory

NIT:

Pros:
- Open environment that is both 'tinker friendly' as well as lends itself very well as a professional IT tool.
- Physical keyboard (N810),
- Multi-tasking
- Lower price
- "It's not an iDevice" - less feeling of being like everyone else.
- Supports memory cards

Cons:
- Loosing support/updates for major apps like Skype, Gizmo, Rhapsody, etc
- A lot of people willing to develop applications for free - but as such they also have a tendency to not ever become 'complete' / 'stable' - and long-term support/updates/continuity is questionable
- Fewer, and less advanced/attractive, games
- Slower internet browsing
- Requires quite the obstacle course to get close to being MS document compatible
- No MS Outlook sync ability (correct me if I'm wrong on this one)
AutoScan, Diablo5 Theme, Dialcentral, DragLock, EmelFM2, FlipClock, gPodder, Headphoned, Knots 2, Maemo Mapper, mPlayer, openNTPD, OpenSSH, Panucci, Personal Launcher, QuickNote, Seqretary, SlideLock, Telescope, YellowNotes

Last edited by silvermountain; 2009-06-30 at 23:04.

Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
Originally Posted by silvermountain View Post
NIT:

Pros:
- Open environment that is 'tinker friendly'
Not just "tinker friendly" -- IT Professional friendly ... but not just that, either. The open environment means that you don't have to do something stupid/dangerous like "jailbreak" your device just to get it to do basic things. Using the device for IT work is part of the marketing design of the system (since it's an open environment), instead of something that is counter to the marketing design of the system.

With the iDevices, you're working against the grain, and you're frequently an outcast among any discussion of "features I'd like" within that community ... not to mention the arrogance factor. Quite the opposite with the NIT community (though, we have our own flavors of arrogance factors).

Cons:
- No MS Outlook sync ability (correct me if I'm wrong on this one)
If you use Gmail, Gmail now has Outlook/Exchange emulation, so I wonder if you can accomplish this by just syncing Outlook to Gmail.

Posts: 1,359 | Thanked: 717 times | Joined on May 2009 @ ...standing right behind you...
Originally Posted by johnkzin View Post
Not just "tinker friendly" -- IT Professional friendly ... but not just that, either. The open environment means that you don't have to do something stupid/dangerous like "jailbreak" your device just to get it to do basic things. Using the device for IT work is part of the marketing design of the system (since it's an open environment), instead of something that is counter to the marketing design of the system.
Adjusted accordingly.
AutoScan, Diablo5 Theme, Dialcentral, DragLock, EmelFM2, FlipClock, gPodder, Headphoned, Knots 2, Maemo Mapper, mPlayer, openNTPD, OpenSSH, Panucci, Personal Launcher, QuickNote, Seqretary, SlideLock, Telescope, YellowNotes